Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been studying and trying to practice the "minimalist" movement over the last year.
Much of the concept is to reduce the "things" that you have to the bare minimum. I've
had tons of stuff that I don't need. I'm ready now to sell a rental property I don't need.
This simplifies my life, my stuff and my "overhead".

The thing is, this opens you up to new experiences. You can spend money on
experiences, travel, good food and entertainment.... without it costing you more and
without you incurring more residual expenses.

I still have a ways to go, but I think my life will be much freer, more enjoyable, and
despite not having a lot of things, more fulfilled.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Of course some people can be frugal without sacrifice, like some people can run without hating every minute of it.

I am neither of those people.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:20 AM   #63

Regardless of your income I believe everyone should attempt to be frugal, not cheap. Frugal means using coupons, price checking on your smart phone, making sure you feel value in every dollar you spend. Cheap, on the other hand, means going to the rest room just before the dinner check arrives at the table, or forgetting to chip in with your siblings for your parents birthday/Christmas presents. DW and I are frugal, not cheap......we both have a sibling who is cheap and.......proud of it!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinancebuff View Post
Not doable. Frugality means spending less money, which means not getting what that money can buy.
I would disagree. I have a friend who is as frugal as they come. He knows the cost of just about everything a grocery store sell. When a store puts something on sale he stocks up. His very large pantry looks like a grocery store. He gets what he wants, maybe must more or not when he wants it. I guess to make your definition work you could say he is sacrificing shopping for whatever he wants when ever he wants to. Personally that is getting to the point 'that it depends on what the definition of is is'
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I would disagree. I have a friend who is as frugal as they come. He knows the cost of just about everything a grocery store sell. When a store puts something on sale he stocks up. His very large pantry looks like a grocery store. He gets what he wants, maybe must more or not when he wants it. I guess to make your definition work you could say he is sacrificing shopping for whatever he wants when ever he wants to. Personally that is getting to the point 'that it depends on what the definition of is is'
If he's banking the savings from groceries, he's not spending the money on things or experiences he likes, say a vacation to a more expensive destination (Antarctica, anyone?). He's sacrificing those things or experiences in order to save money.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If he's banking the savings from groceries, he's not spending the money on things or experiences he likes, say a vacation to a more expensive destination (Antarctica, anyone?). He's sacrificing those things or experiences in order to save money.
Some people prefer financial security to spending money on either consumer goods or experiences. Maybe the guy saving money on sale items would rather invest the money or donate it to charity and go backpacking instead of Antarctica.

I don't think fun experiences have to cost a lot of money. Someone living in an off grid house with an organic garden, well water and solar power who goes kayaking and hiking for fun and has a lot of time to read, visit with neighbors and do volunteer work and at night looks at the stars with a home made telescope may be quite happy.

I have posted this before, but for those that missed it, the people in the clip below live a Thoreau kind of life in a 12 X 12 cabin without electricity -

Old 08-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
Being frugal does require some sacrifice. I do believe in your key question "is it worth it to me?" For example, I really want to go to a 49er game in their new stadium, but I'm not going to pay $350+ per ticket to go. Thus, being frugal requires some sacrifice.
$350 to see a football game is off the charts and you have not added in gas, parking, food.

I thought springing for $65 senior tickets at a Padres game was big time. Did it because I wanted to be right down near the field on the first base side with DW and DS for a special treat.

Then I saw the cost of Giants tickets in SF, something like $165 if you could get them. Yikes, I'll watch them on TV.

On the larger question, frugality depends on your stash. If you are getting ancient like me and have a reasonably high net worth, being too frugal is foolish. There, I said it.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #68

Quote:
And that's where you're off the rails - who said anything about banking the savings? Frugality in many areas enables spending in others, so there is no sacrifice for that person.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Sacrifice is unique to each individual.

I sacrificed a long work week filled with stress and madness and many late nights. I sacrificed a lack of personal life and balance. I sacrificed heart palpitations and upset stomachs.

In return I got more time with my family, daily interactions with my wildflowers and vegetable garden. I got insight to what is important to me, which was rather different from what I *thought* was important to me.

Dive in and embrace the frugality, and it will embrace you.

PS - don't let naysayers (they are everywhere) chip away at your principles.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

As many posters before me have pointed out, if you do not miss what you do not have, it's not a sacrifice. We have always had good cars, and would get rid of them if they become unreliable, else that would be a sacrifice. But I do not have a luxury German car, do not care to have one even though I can afford it, and do not consider it a sacrifice.

I spend a lot of money on other things that I enjoy, but that is because I can afford them. If I have less, I am sure I can cut back significantly and would not feel hardship at all.

Again, posters have repeatedly pointed out that one should learn to be happy with what he has. Of course, it is hard to put in practice if all one's belongings are inside a shopping cart parked under a bridge, but we are not talking about such extreme, are we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
Regardless of your income I believe everyone should attempt to be frugal, not cheap. Frugal means using coupons, price checking on your smart phone, making sure you feel value in every dollar you spend. Cheap, on the other hand, means going to the rest room just before the dinner check arrives at the table, or forgetting to chip in with your siblings for your parents birthday/Christmas presents. DW and I are frugal, not cheap......we both have a sibling who is cheap and.......proud of it!
+1

Years ago, I read the same from Andrew Tobias. He pointed out that frugal is how you treat yourself, and cheap applies only to how you treat others.

You can splurge on yourself with fancy cars and clothes, but if you treat others miserly or only take but not return, you are still cheap.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
As many posters before me have pointed out, if you do not miss what you do not have, it's not a sacrifice. We have always had good cars, and would get rid of them if they become unreliable, else that would be a sacrifice. But I do not have a luxury German car, do not care to have one even though I can afford it, and do not consider it a sacrifice....
DW still loves the 2002 Toyota Camry with heated seats. I think back then Camry's and Lexus's were pretty similar designs. It really seems to have withstood the tests of time and with our low driving mileage and mild weather it will not die.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
...snip...
Years ago, I read the same from Andrew Tobias. He pointed out that frugal is how you treat yourself, and cheap applies only to how you treat others.
Nice way to distinguish frugal from cheap. I'm trying to be more generous nowadays but don't want to force others into feeling a need to reciprocate if they have different economic standards.

One couple we go out with always do separate checks. Another couple insist on paying if we are in their town. I think the next one is on us, but one can loose track.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Nice way to distinguish frugal from cheap. I'm trying to be more generous nowadays but don't want to force others into feeling a need to reciprocate if they have different economic standards...
I would not mind if some people cannot reciprocate exactly, because of their situation. People can usually tell if someone is a freeloader.

One of my neighbors really like our cooking, and we do invite them over for dinner quite often. They pay back by other means, such as helping us when seeing us out for yard work, etc... We really enjoy the mutual friendship.

And after all, people who are beneficiary of our charity donations can never pay us back directly.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #74
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in Virginia View Post

In my view, practicing frugality without sacrifice is based on one key concept and one key question. The key concept is: to do instead, not do without. And the key question is: is it worth it to me... not can I afford it.
I like your concept/question.

Here is what I always told our kids about frugality: "You can have anything you want. You just can't have everything you want."

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frugal living, frugality