Is IRMAA Progressive?

TrvlBug

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DH and I are new to Medicare and I'm trying to determine what we should do tax wise next year to get our future Medicare premiums down. DH pays approx. $304/mo now so it appears that the IRMAA is progressive if I look at the charts. I'm unable to determine if it's progressive or if you fall off the cliff.

IRMAA la not-so-douce has thresholds, and for each MAGI threshold you cross, you pay more.

For example, if your MAGI goes over the first threshold ($170K for MFJ), you pay 140% of the basic Medicare cost. Over the second threshold ($214K for MFJ), you pay 200% of the basic cost.

The good news is that it's adjusted every year, so if your MAGI can be lowered, you can get back to lower cost again.

But there's a two-year "lookback", so you need two years of lower MAGI in order to lower (or eliminate) IRMAA.

But there's a two-year "lookback", so you need two years of lower MAGI in order to lower (or eliminate) IRMAA.

That's not my impression.........got a link? My thought it looks back 2 yrs because you haven't filed the next yrs tax yet.

That's not my impression.........got a link? My thought it looks back 2 yrs because you haven't filed the next yrs tax yet.
You are correct. For example, the 2015 AGI affects the 2017 Medicare Parts B & D premiums. If your 2016 AGI drops below the threshold, your 2018 Medicare premiums will drop back as well.

If your MAGI recently dipped, or you expect it to, due to one of a short list of significant events, such as voluntary or involuntary job loss, you can file with SSA to have your IRMAA correspondingly adjusted downward sooner than it would otherwise.

Thanks all. My confusion with this was that the $302/mo included Part D + its IRMAA. He is paying exactly 200% of base for Part B.

If your MAGI recently dipped, or you expect it to, due to one of a short list of significant events, such as voluntary or involuntary job loss, you can file with SSA to have your IRMAA correspondingly adjusted downward sooner than it would otherwise.

I did that this year. Went to the SS office with my latest tax return (just one year), waited my turn, took about 3 minutes at the window. A few weeks later got a letter in the mail and I was done.

Back
Top Bottom