Is the FIRE personality lazy

rw86347

Recycles dryer sheets
Have any of you read this webpage...

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/mbti.html

To be honest I think it pegs me. I am lazy. I make 100k a year, and live on 30K. I am good at saving, and good and looking productive. But to be honest I am lazy. There are weeks were I only get in a solid 10 hours of productive work. (although I do have sparse weeks where I work 50).

I wish I was industrious :( , but the truth is I am only industious with my interests. :-\

just wondering...

rw86347 said:
Have any of you read this webpage...

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/mbti.html

To be honest I think it pegs me. I am lazy. I make 100k a year, and live on 30K. I am good at saving, and good and looking productive. But to be honest I am lazy. There are weeks were I only get in a solid 10 hours of productive work. (although I do have sparse weeks where I work 50).

I wish I was industrious :( , but the truth is I am only industious with my interests. :-\

just wondering...

Sounds like me to the dot. Pretty weird heh. Although I would call myself more selfish than lazy. I never wanted kids because they would cut into "me" time. I dont like to volunteer to help people either. Its not that I dont want to expend the effort its more like I want to expend the effort on me or my wife. So I think I got some kind of combination going ::)

Clicked the link. I'm too lazy to finish reading all of it. That says something I think.

I've tested as either INTP or INTJ depending on the mood I was in that day, which I found interesting when I initially read the article linked above. I don't know that I would call myself lazy per se, but i have a terrible time motivating myself to do things unless they are A: enjoyable, or B: will bring me immediate measurable profits (financial or otherwise) that outweigh the hassle factor. That's a big part of thy I plan to "index and forget"--I've played the stock market, found it doesn't capture my fascination sufficient to do the neccessary research for "fun" over the long term, and therefore I won't make the additional profit that would make that effort worthwhile. Don't think DH has taken the MB test, but i suspect he's probably a similar type. But are we lazy? some might say yes, but it';s really more that neither of us can be bothered to do most things that don't meet the above criteria. The good side of that is that neither of us can really be bothered to become conspicuous consumers, either.

So don't think of yourself as lazy--you're efficient. :D

I'm INTJ but I'm not lazy, just self centred.

Lazy, self-centered ISTJ here. Does this qualify me for SS disability benefit? :confused:

rw86347 said:
Well, IMO - there is no point in being industrious unless applied to your own interests!!

I'm naturally lazy, although I can be amazingly productive when motivated.
Definitely selfish. No kids for one thing! Like to do my own thing and be bothered by no one. Although I'm happy to volunteer personal time/effor and donate for what I consider to be an important cause.
INTP

Audrey (retired engineer and incurable knowledge-seeker)

OKLibrarian said:
So don't think of yourself as lazy--you're efficient. :D

Actually there is some truth to that! I love writting software because I like to automating tasks so that I don't have to do them ever again.

Still I feel sorry that my employer pays me 100k to sit in meetings and trying to push work to others so that I can surf the web and watch my investments.

INFP, and left handed.

I wouldn't say I'm lazy. I just tend to do the things I want to do, and I especially work hard at something that matters to me. Don't we all?

Yes, I'm somewhat lazy. But I got my job done. I've only been retired a few days, but it seems to fit my lazy personality perfectly. :D

There's a line in Office Space which sums me up perfectly... it says something like "It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care..."

INTJ (and left handed as well, though I don't think that has anything to do with it).

I would not call it lazy. Selfish is closer but that sounds so negative.

I am content to make my own happiness and not depend on others ("I"). The "N" lets me see the big picture, which helps with setting and sustaining long term goals - like saving for FIRE. The "T" helps me make logical rational decisions rather than acting as others would like or to make decisions based on others feelings (I don't care if someone thinks less of me because of the car I drive), and "J" helps me and stay with a decision, rather than not deciding while I keep all my options open.

These are common traits for the INTJ and therefore, not so surprising that many RE folks fit this profile.

Wow - had to jump in and say that I am a lefty as well - maybe we should do a poll (ER lefty syndrome)?

I can be very motivated (almost crazy) and very lazy...retirement fits me - I decided when to be crazy and lazy!

Count me in as another lazy, 100k INTP engineer.

The internet hasn't exactly helped us to be productive at work, has it :)

I don't think lazy is the right term, it's just that we have to be focused on what *we* are interested in, and then we can be incredibly focused and productive.

our interests = stock component of personality
our jobs = bond component of personality

yeah I think about this stuff too much !

- John

fire5soon said:
There's a line in Office Space which sums me up perfectly... it says something like "It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care..."

"It's not just about me and my dream of doing nothing...."

And my other favorite:

".....I don't think so, for some chicks money isn't important"
"It is to the kind of chicks that'd go double up on a dude like me"
"You have a point...."

estj here. I'm not lazy, but look forward to having a crack at it when FIRE'd :LOL:

audreyh1 said:
Well, IMO - there is no point in being industrious unless applied to your own interests!!

Now that I'm finally retarded retired, I'm much more industrious than I was while 'employed'! I've only been ER'ed for a week and hope to, someday soon, have a day off! :LOL:

ENTP's are not supposed to FIRE? Boo Hiss! And right handed to boot...that is not enough to make me leave this forum :LOL: Where are all the "E"s?

Back
Top Bottom