Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2016, 07:37 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...stupid phony review baloney.

That...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 08:14 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Just decline to participate. If they ask why, then just say because it was not anonymous.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:26 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd564 View Post
Just a note...

The anonymous ones are almost NEVER anonymous.
I had thought one was, and then I was informed that the manager only sees the results if "more than 5" people in their group respond.

Well, one out of five is not anonymous. My thought was that it being anonymous meant the results would be viewed at the high level of the company, not at each manager's level.

With one out of five, my manager easily could have figured out who was who by how things were typed.

Never assume they are anonymous, and only respond honestly if you want to lose your job.
+1. Only strictly multiple choice, electronic, questionnaires could possibly be considered anonymous. Everyone know who peppers his speech with Spanish and who likes to use big words they don't understand and who will make a big check mark even though the instructions were explicit about circling.

To the OP, you have no great options. Personally, I'd avoid the issue: be busy with other stuff, take a few days off sick, even go to the doctor and complain about my lumbago. I've seen some wiser advice from other posters and I'm confident you'll do the right thing for your situation. Good luck!
Old 09-15-2016, 09:17 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
This kind of S**t is why we FIRE.
I hear you. I used to hate dealing with this kind of cr*p at wo*k.

I am very upset for the OP, for having to experience the kind of stuff that used to drive me up the wall - being put in a no-win situation by whoever we are reporting to.

OP, I think others have given some good advice, although I have a feeling you may have to take some heat whatever you choose to do.

Good luck to you... I sincerely hope this blows away, with you unscathed.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:38 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

It is simply a way for managers to get out of doing things that they consider 'a pain in the behind'. It first started about 15 years ago when management said, "write your own performance report". It has now evolved into a 360 thing.

It's one reason we retire.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Fill it out, tell the truth, and hand it personally to her boss......then be prepared to duck.

+1. Be brutally honest and return it to her supervisor directly.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-16-2016, 12:58 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
+1. Be brutally honest and return it to her supervisor directly.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
And update your resume.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:33 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Fill it out, tell the truth, and hand it personally to her boss......then be prepared to duck.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-16-2016, 06:53 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Our company does these 360 peer reviews. Everyone dreads it. I understand why they do it...they're just looking to nit pick and throw up red flags for each employee in case they need to ever get rid of them or not give them higher pay. Just another way for a company to protect itself from future lawsuits.

OP...decline it. Doing this in no way can help you. For our company employees are allowed to decline.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:10 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Just decline to participate. If they ask why, then just say because it was not anonymous.

That really does not matter... when we did the 360s back in 2000 my boss called me to complain about one of the reviews... it was not that good... and I do think some of it missed the mark pretty far... but, she knew who wrote the bad review... there are not enough employees to not know... even if you have 10 employees you can be pretty sure who wrote what...
Old 09-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #71

This calls for some olympic Weasel skills.

The objective is that you can keep your ethical sense of being intact and don't burn any bridges with boss, bosses boss and anyone else.

Situation as described doesn't allow that, so you need to develop different options. I would strongly advise against complying or denying the request directly.

Note that your boss is displaying nervous control behavior by wanting to take the letter personally to her chief. Danger sign.

Two options come to mind right now, there may be others to ponder: 1) Have a meeting with HR explaining the situation - or if there is an ombudsperson or similar, with them. 2) Have a meeting with bosses boss, with a plausible deniable different agenda.

Another weasel option might be to state: "You get frequent requests for referrals and written reviews, and deny all of them, because if you did deny one that would mean it was going to be negative. And you don't want to cause harm. So you deny all of them, including her request". Incidentally that's the same reason why companies have a no-referral policy. Come to think of it: this might be a legal way out for you if such policy exists. A written named form can function as a referral, and might be illegal per company policy.

You can still state though that you are happy to share your open feedback with her boss in a personal meeting with said boss. Highly doubt she'd go for that. Can be a risky bet though if she counters with a boss meeting where she is present.

I once converted a named review to an anonymous review by stating that I wanted to give others the option to remain anonymous. By disclosing my name I shrank the pool of "plausible reviewers", and didn't feel comfortable stripping someone else of the anonymity option. Sounds contrived, right? It worked anyway.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:55 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
That really does not matter... when we did the 360s back in 2000 my boss called me to complain about one of the reviews... it was not that good... and I do think some of it missed the mark pretty far... but, she knew who wrote the bad review... there are not enough employees to not know... even if you have 10 employees you can be pretty sure who wrote what...
It depends on how the upward feedback is passed on. HR at my last company combined scores (just averaged numbers) with a compilation of selected quotes, sometimes edited for style or revealing content. It worked really well. Revealing names by HR was a fireable offense.

Feedback is hard to get right, especially upward feedback.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:14 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd avoid at all costs- call in sick the day she needs it if you have to. If you absolutely cannot avoid it, and you want to keep your job, I would lie. Self preservation. No woman expects you to tell the truth when she asks you if this outfit makes her look fat, right? If I want the truth from my husband I will say- "Do you think I should wear this?"
Old 09-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
It depends on how the upward feedback is passed on. HR at my last company combined scores (just averaged numbers) with a compilation of selected quotes, sometimes edited for style or revealing content. It worked really well. Revealing names by HR was a fireable offense.

Feedback is hard to get right, especially upward feedback.

Oh yea, it was combined with others, but they also passed on the comments... again, combined.... but I do not think comments were edited...

Even then, it was not that hard to figure out who wrote the best and the worst comments... the stuff in the middle was hard, but nobody cared about that...
Old 09-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Since the OP was the only one asked, I think I would stall as long as I could, then when she asked for it I would say "Why me? I could possibly understand if you asked all your reports for an evaluation, but I feel singled out and it makes me nervous. Couldn't you make it anonymous and have everyone do it? Are other departments doing the same?"
Old 09-16-2016, 02:13 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I would not comply with the request and if pushed I would say that because I have had no training in providing reviews you must decline.

This request smells to high heaven. I suspect s/he is having issues with her/his manager and wants to come with ammunition to deflect the concerns. The employee review process is absolutely the purview of HR, I would take your HR manager out for coffee and share your situation.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Back in the old days, insubordination was grounds for termination. Since the OP wants to keep his job, he's probably stuck complying with his boss's request. That said, since the OP is probably going to get a mediocre performance review from his boss whatever he does, he is free to comply with her request badly, i.e., provide her with a "poor quality" performance review that dodges the question in some cases and is vague or trite in others.

FWIW: Back when I worked for a MC, the 360's were always among peers, never between levels. However, they were just becoming popular back then.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:39 PM   #78
Dryer sheet aficionado

I think post #41 nailed it. Answer very generically, not specifically. Then you ticked that box, you filled in the survey, didnt step on any toes, didnt jeopardize your job, but you didnt have to lie.

Win win.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #79
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
+1. Only strictly multiple choice, electronic, questionnaires could possibly be considered anonymous. Everyone know who peppers his speech with Spanish and who likes to use big words they don't understand and who will make a big check mark even though the instructions were explicit about circling.
Electronic questionaires were hardly anonymous in our organization. 360 feedback and most employee survey requests arrived via email with a link. You typically had to log in to the system to access the "anonymous" survey. Your machine's IP address was static, you could only log into your pc with a unique card/account/password, the email links to the survey site had unique identifier strings appended to the address, AND to add insult to injury, you were sent reminders to complete your as of yet-to-be-received anonymous survey inputs.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:14 PM   #80
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
This kind of S**t is why we FIRE.
He** Yes!!!!

Tags
crazy boss, performance review