Is this ok? Boss asked me complete a performance evaluation of her

I would not comply with the request and if pushed I would say that because I have had no training in providing reviews you must decline.

This request smells to high heaven. I suspect s/he is having issues with her/his manager and wants to come with ammunition to deflect the concerns. The employee review process is absolutely the purview of HR, I would take your HR manager out for coffee and share your situation.

Just decline to participate. If they ask why, then just say because it was not anonymous.

Back in the old days, insubordination was grounds for termination. Since the OP wants to keep his job, he's probably stuck complying with his boss's request. That said, since the OP is probably going to get a mediocre performance review from his boss whatever he does, he is free to comply with her request badly, i.e., provide her with a "poor quality" performance review that dodges the question in some cases and is vague or trite in others.

FWIW: Back when I worked for a MC, the 360's were always among peers, never between levels. However, they were just becoming popular back then.

I think post #41 nailed it. Answer very generically, not specifically. Then you ticked that box, you filled in the survey, didnt step on any toes, didnt jeopardize your job, but you didnt have to lie.

Win win.

+1. Only strictly multiple choice, electronic, questionnaires could possibly be considered anonymous. Everyone know who peppers his speech with Spanish and who likes to use big words they don't understand and who will make a big check mark even though the instructions were explicit about circling.

Electronic questionaires were hardly anonymous in our organization. 360 feedback and most employee survey requests arrived via email with a link. You typically had to log in to the system to access the "anonymous" survey. Your machine's IP address was static, you could only log into your pc with a unique card/account/password, the email links to the survey site had unique identifier strings appended to the address, AND to add insult to injury, you were sent reminders to complete your as of yet-to-be-received anonymous survey inputs. :facepalm:

Funny story. When I was still at Megacorp, they 360'd me by allowing the direct reports to my direct reports (i.e. "skip level") to anonymously remote-ream me via group survey sessions. One group unanimously gave me the lowest rating on one of the factors. This was a live survey session, so they all saw the consensus results as they "voted." They knew that I would see the results and since they all gave me an "F," there was no more anonymous. Knowing this, I invited them all to a voluntary session to discuss how I could better "meet their needs." Guess how many showed up*? Just a bunch of cowards hiding behind this anonymous 360 crap.

*exactly one. We had a nice discussion and he earned (more of) my respect that day. Neither of us stuck with Megacorp.

I've done this for years, but there were two different ways we did them.
1. For personal feedback only. Fully anonymous. Not all that scientific because I got to choose who did the 360 review. Though we were assured that the results only went to ourselves and not our managers, I was always concerned. Online based, select from fully agree to fully disagree, plus places to write comments.
2. At review time. In this case, the request came from my managers boss, not my manager himself. While I don't know if my managers boss ever shared details of the feedback, like who wrote it, I was never comfortable with this. I would be extremely uncomfortable giving it directly to my manager and would have tried my best to conveniently forget the request.

Back
Top Bottom