Just another day...

I moved 13% of my TSP G fund into equities around 5 AM Pacific time. I couldn't believe it when the market was up after all the bad news in the international markets.

Since the TSP moves the money at closing prices (I think), I was quite pleased to return from a meeting and seen the indexes had closed down.

I'm sure it's not the bottom though. I will keep purchasing stocks (no new G fund purchases) with each paycheck.

We are living in interesting times.
I've already called the bottom -- it was 10/10. That is unless it falls tomorrow. Then I'll call a new bottom. :cool:

If it does fall, I'll be looking for a nice bottom. How's yours? :D

I moved 13% of my TSP G fund into equities around 5 AM Pacific time. I couldn't believe it when the market was up after all the bad news in the international markets.

What funds did you move into at what percentages if you don't mind my asking? C? S?

I've already called the bottom -- it was 10/10. That is unless it falls tomorrow. Then I'll call a new bottom. :cool:

If it does fall, I'll be looking for a nice bottom. How's yours? :D

I wish I could reply with a witty response, but I can't think of one. Anyone?

It's fallen and it can't get up?

Brocolli? You're enjoying a killer exchange rate in Germany and you're relishing the price of fresh brocolli?

Why not a nice Riesling or a couple of steins of great beer - it's October! :)

I been drinking a German Riesling called Saint M. Its good stuff. Was getting it for 6.99 a bottle but it shot up to 11.99 :(

I been drinking a German Riesling called Saint M. Its good stuff. Was getting it for 6.99 a bottle but it shot up to 11.99 :(
I see new labels pop up at bargain prices only to shoot up when they are "discovered." We found a Calif chardonney called Fisheyes for about $5. I like it although I'm more a red wino. It's one of DW's favorites.

I wish I could reply with a witty response, but I can't think of one. Anyone?

It's fallen and it can't get up?
Sometimes a quip is so witty and well timed it defies any response. Other times they aren't worth responding to. Take your pick. :cool:

Your comeback was pretty good IMHO.

OK - I messed up - I meant to say brussel sprouts for 0.89 Euro cents a kilo...not broccoli - was *very* late Europe time when I wrote it.

REWahoo (BTW have a great time on your 10 day RV jaunt!) - as for wine and beer - it goes without saying - the costs for alcohol out here, especially wine and beer, are much cheaper than in the US - Riesling is OK - I like Italian Pinot Grigio and I'm hoping to get my hands on a nice Calvados when I go to France in the next couple of weeks. Riesling is from the Rhine (Rhein) River area - I prefer the taste of the bochsbeutels of the Neckar River - there's more of a minerally taste which I like - I grew up in AZ and they used to drink the groundwater there (now it's CAP water - YUCK!) and it was hard with minerals. The Neckar wines remind me of that a bit.....as for a German red, well, let's just say not too good compared to the CA reds I drank just last month. I'm also not a Bordeaux fan, but do like a good Burgundy. Merlot is over-rated to me and I don't like a straight Pinot Noir. I do like dry champagne :) And I like the Rheims/Eparnee (sp) area which grows the wonderful grapes for the bubbly - beautiful area.

OK - enough of a hijack - sorry about the broccoli/brussel sprouts mix-up.....

Regarding the freefall - great article on WSJ talking about the Gulf area and how things are going there economically - looks like Abu Dhabi is the area which has the most petrodollars in reserve and all that real-estate on that 'made-up' island in Dubai is not soaring in value as before - even the multi-millionaires are suffering. The best part of the article to me was at what price per barrel the governments could function without a deficit - it ranged from $33 to $47 a barrel (Saudi being the highest) - so there was some serious 'profit' during the times of $100+ a barrel, but it looks like they went and tried to make even more money by buying currency swap derivatives and other more risky financial vehicles. What was also interesting was how much their governments actually support the citizenry.....'redistribution of the wealth' anyone? Oops, didn't mean to make it a Soapbox re-direct.....

It was:

G: 43%
C: 29%
S: 10%
I: 18%

It's now:

G: 30%
C: 30%
S: 20%
I: 20%

I've been mulling this over myself (100% G since last year) - so you feel good about the Small Cap fund?

I've been mulling this over myself (100% G since last year) - so you feel good about the Small Cap fund?

Well, in this market they don't seem any riskier than anything else. Actually, the international fund has been hit the hardest percentage wise, but then it's also had the biggest run up in the past five years.

I was 100% in the G fund for a while (maybe two years), then I realized I couldn't time the market. I kept thinking the economy felt like a house of cards, but I was two years too early. So I went in 60/40 with the plan to go 70/30 if the market dropped.

If it keeps going down, I might move another 10%, but it would have to drop quite a bit more before I'd do that.

I have a large cash reserve (and I Bonds) in taxable accounts, no debt and a future FERS pension plus another small pension from a Fortune 100. I don't plan on touching the TSP for another 10 years at the earliest.

-helen

Back
Top Bottom