Just another day...

FTSE is up right now, leaving us with a little less gloom for the moment at least.

The Dow is up 111 points at this moment... we have had worse days!

Of course, this day isn't over yet.

I am not worried, but intend to stay informed. I have a lot of cushion and if the bottom drops out completely, and I have none left, then I will ER anyway and give new and deeper meaning to LBYM. :mad:

There's only so much of the w*rking world that can be endured in one lifetime. 376 more days and not one second longer! :rant:

Keep an eye on foreign exchange rate - that is a bright spot for future travel and investment.

Gotta stop looking -- this mess could go on for several more months.

Eight days until the election ... that effect will be interesting!

Keep an eye on foreign exchange rate - that is a bright spot for future travel and investment.

Great point! After a trip to Scotland last March I canceled a trip to Italy and went to Costa Rica instead, mostly due to the [-]lack of[/-] value in the dollar. I'm now looking with renewed interest toward Europe next Spring. We'll see how it goes.

Of course, this day isn't over yet.

I am not worried, but intend to stay informed. I have a lot of cushion and if the bottom drops out completely, and I have none left, then I will ER anyway and give new and deeper meaning to LBYM. :mad:

There's only so much of the w*rking world that can be endured in one lifetime. 376 more days and not one second longer! :rant:

I just don't care.
I'm still spending less than my (partly COLA) pension (~$30,000 gross).
Much of my portfolio is in cash/bonds (CD ladder starts 'maturing' this December).

I have heard one European analyst predicting dollar/Euro parity in 6 months. That would be great news for me. I go to Europe several times a year, spend a a fair bit of money in Europe and help my mom financially with her bills (in euros), so the latest development have considerably lowered some of my expenses compared to last year. I hope it continues. I have been looking into buying a condo in Europe for years but with the weak dollar and the hot RE market there, the conditions were not right. If we go back to parity and with European RE inventories currently soaring, I think we will have a near perfect timing for scooping up a good deal.

Of course, this day isn't over yet. . . . /quote]

Just to put closure on this statement for those who may read this thread in the future: DOW -203 at the close . . . most of the fall was in the last 5 minutes.

Oh jeeze - another one of those 10 min freefalls at market close! Unbelievable!

Audrey

Eight days until the election ... that effect will be interesting!
That it will.

This is wearing us all down to some extent I am sure. Guess the bright side is it won't take much upside for us to change our (relative) outlooks positive. Hope...

Oh well, even with my reduced portfolio, I'm still in good shape on my w/d rate. Just enjoying a cheap old bastard lifestyle. Although I did spend $115 on a frigging passport and photo today. Plan to get away next year on a trip and enjoy a little of what I have left in the piggy bank.:-\

The value of the dollar here in Europe has increased in the one week since I've been here - it definitely makes purchases on the economy much better. Actually, here in Germany there are some great stores (Aldi-sud and PennyMarkt) that have *great prices* on food stuffs as compared to the American market. One just has to know what to buy on the economy versus at the "post." When I lived here before, I used to buy on the economy all the time - going local some would say.

Examples: drinkable yogurt at post is $1.25 - at PennyMarkt - 0.79 Euro - even with Dollar at 0.75 Euro, that's $1.06 for the yogurt; fresh broccoli - .89 Euro for a kilo - that's cheap! I couldn't find fresh brocolli for that price in CA! Onions are dirt cheap....now, automobile gas and heating oil are atrociously expensive, but mass transit is cheap.

In any case, I'll be happy with the dollar value increasing....I saw more Europeans in SF and NY this last month than ever before - they were on shopping junkets due to the weak dollar - guess that might change....

Yeah, it could be far worse......I could still be working.......YUCK!

They (whoever the heck 'they' are) say that it's always darkest before the dawn....so, is it almost morning yet? :duh:

"From the time that your born
'Til you ride in a hearse
Things are never so bad
That they couldn't be worse."

; fresh broccoli - .89 Euro for a kilo - that's cheap! I couldn't find fresh brocolli for that price in CA!
Brocolli? You're enjoying a killer exchange rate in Germany and you're relishing the price of fresh brocolli?

Why not a nice Riesling or a couple of steins of great beer - it's October! :)

Things are so bad that I've requested info from some Texas Hill Country retirement communities. :p

Oh well, even with my reduced portfolio, I'm still in good shape on my w/d rate. Just enjoying a cheap old bastard lifestyle. Although I did spend $115 on a frigging passport and photo today. Plan to get away next year on a trip and enjoy a little of what I have left in the piggy bank.:-\

Heading off to St. Andrews for a few days of links play? ;)

I moved 13% of my TSP G fund into equities around 5 AM Pacific time. I couldn't believe it when the market was up after all the bad news in the international markets.

Since the TSP moves the money at closing prices (I think), I was quite pleased to return from a meeting and seen the indexes had closed down.

I'm sure it's not the bottom though. I will keep purchasing stocks (no new G fund purchases) with each paycheck.

We are living in interesting times.

Back
Top Bottom