Join Early Retirement Today

Keep 403(b) in American Funds, or move to Fidelity?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Keep 403(b) in American Funds, or move to Fidelity?

I have about $120k in a 403(b) started through my former employer. I have recently started a new job, and am trying to decide whether to move the funds over to the new retirement plan I will be starting at Fidelity. The new employer only allows us to make new contributions to target retirement funds (I'm looking at the 2030 fund, though I may FIRE well before that -- comfortable with a higher ratio of stocks for now), but once I have the account opened I think I can use the rollover funds to buy a broader mix of funds. American Funds have done reasonably well for us, but I have never been thrilled about them and find it hard to work out a good asset allocation mix. DH is still at the old employer, and will continue to invest in American Funds through his 403(b).

Any advice/suggestions/comments from those who have worked with both companies?

lhamo
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2008, 02:27 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why not roll over your 403B to a self directed IRA at Fidelity, Schwab or Vanguard.

A single target retirement is not a very good option if you are at all comfortable with invested (but great for the rest of the world.) The main problem with American funds is the front end load, which you probably avoided in a retirement plan. (hopefully!)

The lack of a long term track record for any of the target retirement funds makes me leary of using them.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I can't see a downside to rolling over to Vanguard IRA - low ERs, wide choices of funds, good website and phone assistance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I agree that your best choice is rolling over all of your AF $ to Vanguard. Better funds, lowest ER.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm counting the days until I can rollover my 401k (at Fidelity) to a Fidelity IRA. It's stuck in the 401k until my separation pay ends (which is not a bad problem by itself.) My AA should look a lot better when I have access to more funds.

Dan
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I agree that your best choice is rolling over all of your AF $ to Vanguard. Better funds, lowest ER.
Lowest ER I agree with....better funds? Not always.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fidelity