Kiyosaki again!

Or the definition of a parable. The Talents (money) the Master gives his servants is a metaphor for using whatever talents (as in ability) you have, however small, to their greatest potential.

I banish him to the Barry Manilow room in Hell, too. :D

And what is PBS doing allowing him to spew his stupidity on their station?

d said:
a new low for Kiyosaki? "the poor are wicked and slothful -- in other words, evil and lazy."
retire@40 said:
Kiyosaki-- and even PBS-- both know that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Lessee ... I inherited a house a couple years ago and I was too slothful to do the necessary things to it and sell it. I rented it out to friends but instead of making repairs, cleaning, painting, sorting through boxes of stuff I just jammed all the odds and ends down in the basement and locked it up. then I went home and watched tv.

My reward? The property increased in value by 100% over the last two years. Woo hoo! Gotta love that Lord! Thanks for the big reward! Meanwhile, in New Orleans, or Phi Phi Island, or Baghdad, there are decent, hard-working people who are better than me, and everything they have worked for has been demolished. Tsunamis, hurricanes, wars have taken away all they owned and everyone they loved. And this proves what about God?

Nords said:
Kiyosaki-- and even PBS-- both know that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

I don't know about that.  PBS fired Bob Villa over him doing craftsman commercials for Sears while he was still doing This Old House.  At least he was promoting a great product.

Warning: Rant to follow.

This guy is such a turkey. His columns are pathetic. Some times people are victims of circumstances - poor education, poor health, etc. He needs to get real and quit the holier than thou pontificating.

JoJo

JoJo Girl said:
Warning: Rant to follow.

This guy is such a turkey. His columns are pathetic. Some times people are victims of circumstances - poor education, poor health, etc. He needs to get real and quit the holier than thou pontificating.

JoJo

img_422015_0_fdf7edb9dc61faa9e4bc4e87a501d4df.gif

retire@40 said:
PBS fired Bob Villa over him doing craftsman commercials for Sears while he was still doing This Old House.  At least he was promoting a great product.

When I was little, I would watch This Old House with my parents.... now that Bob does Sears commercials, I wonder if that's why I like going to the tool section of sears so much....

A victim of circumstance...
Ah all the poor people are victims of circumstance. ?

Marshac said:
When I was little, I would watch This Old House with my parents.... now that Bob does Sears commercials, I wonder if that's why I like going to the tool section of sears so much....

Thank God you're too young to have seen the Charlie's Angels TV series, otherwise you might be out there in the Jaclyn Smith clothing area at Kmart.

Now that I think of it, I do tend to prefer Wesson oil. It's got "wessonality."

Ahhhh. Florence Henderson and a bottle of Wesson oil. Bring on the Twister game and you've got a real party.

retire@40 said:
Now that I think of it, I do tend to prefer Wesson oil. It's got "wessonality."

Now that I think of it, Kiyosaki lets the good times roll! :LOL:

<For those too old to remember, there was a motorcycle commercial on TV--in the 70s I think--with a jingle that began with "Kawasaki lets the good times roil!">

The problem is, this is just one thing you cant make a sweeping generalization about. I'm sure in some cases, people are indeed reeping what they sow by their slothfulness. But there are also definitely other examples where people are indeed victims of circumstances, and poor lots in life.

So he's an idiot on this point, mainly because he made a generalization and applied it to all poor people. It would have been equally idiotic to generalize that all poor people are victims of circumstance and, thus, deserve subsidy.

Azanon

Azanon said:
The problem is, this is just one thing you cant make a sweeping generalization about. I'm sure in some cases, people are indeed reeping what they sow by their slothfulness. But there are also definitely other examples where people are indeed victims of circumstances, and poor lots in life.

So he's an idiot on this point, mainly because he made a generalization and applied it to all poor people. It would have been equally idiotic to generalize that all poor people are victims of circumstance and, thus, deserve subsidy.

Azanon

Making "generalized" statement will make you alot of enemies. Victims of circumstances DO exist, for example lack of health, lack of opportunities, lack of education, language barrier (me personally), race, looks...so on and so on..

Well, then does most of the poor, mostly African american in the inner city (nyct, philadephia, baltimore, boston..) are victims of circumstances or just pure laziness:confused:

i used to live in boston where i have seen many asian people have businesses, worked like dog, late into the night and weekend while most most of the "poor" just does NOT want to work. period. These hard working people that i am talking about can't bearly speak english.

what's up with that? i think there are enuff opportunities out there in the US just "lots" of the poor do NOT want to work hard

enuff

retire@40 said:

I wrote to my PBS station and complained about Kiyosaki. He was hyped as someone who was going to tell the audience new things about investing. 99% of the show was total crap with zero content, the only thing I liked was that mentioned how the US workforce has been totally ripped off by the elimination of DB plans and the introduction of 401k plans with smaller employer contributions.

Here's how I'd make money.

1) do something you like for a job
2) spend less than you earn
3) minimize credit card usage, pay it off each month
4) contribute to your 401k and a ROTH
5) set up automatic monthly investment plan with a mutual fund company
6) buy a house or flat, NEVER do interest only mortgage, limit payments to 28% of income.

HFWR said:
How unglamourous... ::)
Exactly, thrift has a lot to be said for it, but glamourous it isn't. Some people will make
a lot of money running a small business or with speculative investments, but most folks work for wages and thrift and saving make the basic foundation for financial security.

nun said:
Exactly, thrift has a lot to be said for it, but glamourous it isn't. Some people will make
a lot of money running a small business or with speculative investments, but most folks work for wages and thrift and saving make the basic foundation for financial security.

Amen to that statement............. :D

FinanceDude said:
Amen to that statement............. :D

I've just watched 2 mins of Kiyosaki plugging his CDs and books on my local PBS pledge drive.
The PBS woman asked him a listener's question about how to get out of debt. His answer went something like this

"Donald Trump, George Foreman and Tony Robbins were all once in debt, so you're not alone, just buy my books and get some financial education and you're problems will be solved......."

Laughable, how can PBS endorse this charlatan. Also if you're in financial trouble the last thing you should be doing is spending money on a PBS membership. Take the PBS money and pay down some credit card debt.

Why oh why isn't there a show on TV that gives practical financial advice. The only thing that comes close is the Motley Fool radio show and that awful Suze Orman woman who actually gives some good advice on her call in show.

nun said:
Why oh why isn't there a  show on TV that gives practical financial advice. The only thing that comes close is the Motley Fool radio show and that awful Suze Orman woman who actually gives some good advice on her call in show.

Suze Orman still around? Wasn't she big in the late 1990s? I thought she was too fruity to have staying power, but I guess it goes to show how well I understand humans :D

Enuff2Eat said:
what's up with that? i think there are enuff opportunities out there in the US just "lots" of the poor do NOT want to work hard

Huh...
Is this a praphrase of Kyiosaki?

Let me say that there are lots of rich folks who don't want to work either. (like FIRed people on this forum :D). Good thing for them is that they don't have to.

Reaching some financial level is a lot like climbing the Empire State Building. Starting from the ground would you ever attempt it? Starting from the middle don't look down or you'd faint so keep climbing until you reach the top. The top is pretty secure there you'd be nuts to try to go any further.

Try to make sure your children don't have to go back to ground level. Remember what Buffet said:
a very rich person should leave his kids enough to do anything but not enough to do nothing
:D

Scrooge said:
Suze Orman still around? Wasn't she big in the late 1990s? I thought she was too fruity to have staying power, but I guess it goes to show how well I understand humans :D

She pops up now and again. but the glasses and here style make me cringe.

Re the PBS pledge drive, what really annoyed me was that they were pushing the Kiyosaki books as a way to get out of debt and then saying you can get them for a $500 pledge. What a rip off.

Back
Top Bottom