LBYM: Modest splurges that make you feel (sort of) rich?

Awesome suggestions!

I'm a rum addict. I add a teaspoon of rum to yogurt, to frozen fruit, and even to these canned fruit snacks! Transforms simple snacks to luxury food (for me, anyway)! Yummm! Makes me feel not-so-riffraffy!

For true decadence ... there's always cream top yogurt. :eek:

Lunch at Bavarian Inn, Shepherdstown, WV.

Bavarian Inn Shepherstown WV

Always makes DW feel pampered.

This place looks nice and the prices aren't bad! DH would love it. His grandparents immigrated from Germany and he loves German food. His mom cooked a lot of traditional German meals. I Google mapped it and it's only 64 miles from our home. Might be worth the trip.

It's almost the time of year for my favorite splurge/antidepressant: fresh asparagus or (especially) artichokes. Even when they're off season I can indulge in either one for $5.

Another favorite of mine is to go visit a cat show. Even if it's out of town, the combined cost of gas, admission, snack and a catalog won't exceed $50. I haven't shown a cat myself for quite a while, so I don't know exactly what entry fees are nowadays, but I think entering a local show (no hotel) would probably also be do-able under the limit, if I brown-bagged it for lunch.

It's almost the time of year for my favorite splurge/antidepressant: fresh asparagus or (especially) artichokes. Even when they're off season I can indulge in either one for $5.

Another favorite of mine is to go visit a cat show. Even if it's out of town, the combined cost of gas, admission, snack and a catalog won't exceed $50. I haven't shown a cat myself for quite a while, so I don't know exactly what entry fees are nowadays, but I think entering a local show (no hotel) would probably also be do-able under the limit, if I brown-bagged it for lunch.

Hey kyounge1956, I love asparagus and artichokes too! I also love cat shows but tend to hang out with the rescue folks since that's what I'm into. I have met many people who breed and show purebread cats who are very supportive of helping the homeless "mutt cats" I have a particular interest in.

I am cheered up by all the ideas this thread has spawned. So many of them would work for me...the grilled lobster (yum) is an idea that bears looking into (see what they cost in my area).

Cruising, if you get tired of rum, try Grand Marnier on your ice cream. Or Bailey's. Or Godiva liqueur. Or Amaretto and Godiva mixed together. Put vanilla ice cream on top of home-made brownies, and a generous splash of Bailey's on top of that, and you couldn't get a better dessert for $10.00 at a restaurant.

Kyounge, I had forgotten cat shows. All those tiny paws and noses pressed against the cages....We have a 6-month-old Siamese, so there is a free (well, not quite...$277.00 yesterday for neutering and shots) cat show every day at our house.

Citrine...Bartering! What a great LBYM idea.

Saluki, I agree that the difference between good beer and terrific beer (or between good anything and terrific anything, come to think of it) is worth a few bucks.

We've resumed going to see/hear live music again after taking a few months off. Plenty of venues around here where we can hear some good stuff (singer-songwriter or jazz) and have a couple of beers for $50.

Been invited to join a group walking in both the downtown St Pat Day parade and the Southside parade this Sat and Sun. That's free....... other than the wear on the shoes. And the 47 pints we'll have afterwards will cost a few bucks.

Hey kyounge1956, I love asparagus and artichokes too! I also love cat shows but tend to hang out with the rescue folks since that's what I'm into. I have met many people who breed and show purebread cats who are very supportive of helping the homeless "mutt cats" I have a particular interest in.

Hi Purron! Non-pedigree kitties can be show cats too. That's who the Household Pet class is for. :) There's at least one association (TICA) where the HHPs, which in that group also includes rescue purebreds, earn titles parallel to the ones the purebred cats earn. Anyway, if you enjoy showing, no reason to miss out just because your cat is a "Heinz 57 varieties". Another association, CFA, has Cat Agility, which I've never seen, but it sounds wild!

This place looks nice and the prices aren't bad! DH would love it. His grandparents immigrated from Germany and he loves German food. His mom cooked a lot of traditional German meals. I Google mapped it and it's only 64 miles from our home. Might be worth the trip.

It's well worth the trip. I've driven there from NoVA a couple of times, and we've really enjoyed it. The wild game menu is fantastic and tres cool, and the Schweinebrauten is to die for. Go for it.

Black walnut ice cream.

My husband gave me black walnut ice cream for Valentines. Love that man and his splurges.

Tried a new restaurant which was a bit pricier than our usual lunch places. Even had to pay a parking meter, so you know it was special!

Going out to dinner is a favorite.

Also, going to the local theater for a play. Always a great time!

We've been going there for years, although not often as it is a bit pricey, and have never been disappointed. It is not a chain, it is a family-owned business so methinks that makes a difference.

I splurged a bit at Wallymart today..Bought me 1 extra pair of shorts for the summer. Doin my part to stimulate the economy. :greetings10:

Hot showers as long as I want.
Real vanilla in the cookies I bake.

2Cor521

It's well worth the trip. I've driven there from NoVA a couple of times, and we've really enjoyed it. The wild game menu is fantastic and tres cool, and the Schweinebrauten is to die for. Go for it.

Looks like a great place to spend an overnight, as well, especially if you're planning a trip to visit some of the nearby sites, which are also within an hour's drive from me in Arlington. I'm thinking I should go to this place before I splurge one of these days and go to the Inn at Little Washington.

SecondCor521 wrote, Real vanilla in the cookies I bake.

2Cor521, wait till you try double-strength vanilla. If you are watching your dollars, it is pricey, but...well, just try it. I did and could never go back to regular. Plus, a bottle of it lasts longer than regular vanilla.

SecondCor521 wrote, Real vanilla in the cookies I bake.

2Cor521, wait till you try double-strength vanilla. If you are watching your dollars, it is pricey, but...well, just try it. I did and could never go back to regular. Plus, a bottle of it lasts longer than regular vanilla.

Hmmm. Regular vanilla is pricey enough. I paid $8.99 I think for a small bottle and my LBYM muscles could barely put it through the self checkout. But I've decided it's worth it if I really want the cookies to taste good. (This is the reason I refuse to fly first class until I can afford it the rest of my life. Until you try something you don't know what you're missing :).

Anyway, where does a person find this double-strength stuff? All my local grocery store had was the regular and the imitation stuff.

2Cor521

A bright pink beach towel to be used on my upcoming, not-LBYM tropical vacation. :flowers: This is my first-ever beach towel and it is exciting!

Also, I am fan of live classical music. Opera, chamber music, oratorios, etc. It's usually under $40 and I always have a great time!

A bright pink beach towel to be used on my upcoming, not-LBYM tropical vacation. :flowers: This is my first-ever beach towel and it is exciting!

Have you been living at Pt. Barrow?

ha

Have you been living at Pt. Barrow?

ha

I do live in a very cold state. It's currently 12 degrees and blowing snow. I think it may possibly dip below zero tonight.

Hence the tropical vacation. Although it will set me back a little on savings (and makes me feel very guilty in a down economy), it's very much needed for my sanity. :crazy:

I do live in a very cold state. It's currently 12 degrees and blowing snow. I think it may possibly dip below zero tonight.

Hence the tropical vacation. Although it will set me back a little on savings (and makes me feel very guilty in a down economy), it's very much needed for my sanity. :crazy:

GoodSense, I completely understand your need for a tropical break, It's the first beach towel part that confused me.

Ha

GoodSense, I completely understand your need for a tropical break, It's the first beach towel part that confused me.

Ha

I have been too cheap to buy a real beach towel. All of my towels are old bath towels that are falling apart with holes - I'd like to think of them as "heirlooms" passed down from family. :)

Back
Top Bottom