Let's spend $10K!

It would be nice to have a Macbook Air and this:

Costco - King Nature's Caress

Got their latex mattress over a year ago and love it. But the adjustable would be nice as I now futz around with lots of pillows to get comfortable for reading.

Probably not PC but I love to shoot and would spend the money on new guns. A .243 with a nice Swarovski scope, an original Sharps 1874 in 45-70 and a Kowa spotting scope to see where I was hitting. A Para-Ordance 1911 if any money was left would be cool too.

OK - I like the idea of the personal chef.

As for travel, well, I travel to places because I have certain goals to see or do specific things that are located in those places - example:

We are going to Crete for a week in September - I have a goal to hike the Samaria Gorge.

We are going to Australia in January - I have a goal to finish my Grand Slam - if I get there and see the Australian Open - tennis, I will have been to every Grand Slam tournament.

We will be going to Japan someday in the winter - I have a goal to ski as many countries as I can.

As for a $10K splurge....probably redo my master bath (even though the house is new, we didn't do any upgrades) - I still need to lanscape my backyard and $10K would do it very nicely. Nice personal perks of a year or so of monthly massages or facials (go on the high end of $100 each - so $200 per month, - you are up to $2400 a year for that) - mail order of monthly steaks or cheeses (just ordered some supposedly awesome Parmagiana actually made in Switzerland - can't wait to try it - apparently the Swiss cos have a higher butterfat in their milk and that changes to texture and taste of that traditionally long-aged and hard cheese) - that could eat up another $2K or so - perhaps add to the amount I want for my charitable trust for scholarships in clinical engineering for the remainder.

Definitely home improvement, like most people here. I'd consider that elevator so my mother can navigate from upstairs all of the way to the basement.

I'm happy with my camera (Canon 5DMKII) so I would love a 400mm f/2.8 II lens to go with it! It's $10,999 (grey market) but I'll happily throw in the extra $999.

Quite a response! A little surprising given all the LBYM sentiment usually displayed here? Be careful you might develop a subversive
Well, given that the OP said *spend* $10K, I assume the uber-LBYM options of saving it, investing it or paying down debt with it was off the table. So if someone *gave* you $10K and said you had to spend it...

We would renovate our master bathroom, which is what we are saving for now anyway.

If that was done, we would take a trip to London. Since travel isn't allowed on this thread, I'd spent it on artwork.

ziggy29 said:
Well, given that the OP said *spend* $10K, I assume the uber-LBYM options of saving it, investing it or paying down debt with it was off the table. So if someone *gave* you $10K and said you had to spend it...

Yes, but still even to harbour such thoughts. My goodness such unfulfilled desire!

Eh, we DO know how to spend money. It's just that when one is limited by the 3.5% WR, it does scrimp one's style a bit. After a while, it becomes natural and does not bother us any.

And about unfulfilled desires, don't we all have to know to curb them? :cool:

Oh boy, not just on monetary issues, but there are ethical, legal, and moral limitations too. ;)

If paying down debt is off the table, I'll take a round the world cruise. :)

Half way round then?

Half way round then?

You could do this segment for $9,750 for an ocean view cabin on Pacific Princess. A friend on mine has been on three world cruises and she is not fabulously wealthy .She & her husband love to travel and really LBYM so they can . She also told me that they offer great deals on these cruises so as soon as W2R's check clears Bon Voyage !

World Cruise Segment Voyages : Princess Cruises

The last time I was on a cruise ship was almost 20 years ago! My next cruise will have to be to Alaska, as the missus specifically mentioned it.

I should remember to add a long world or half-world cruise to the things to do. About the cost, of course you do not want to sit on board at ports, so will have to add the cost for shore excursions. It could double the cost, no?

Personally, I do not enjoy sitting on a ship watching the ocean. I have to go ashore.

Compare sitting on a ship to the adventure of RV'ing across Alaska, looking for a place to park overnight, watching over your shoulder for bears... What a thrill! How about crossing Siberia?

Last edited:
I was surprised that there were not more charitable uses suggested...

I don't doubt that people here already give money to charities, but sometimes you can be charitable by spending money, too. For example (and personally, I hated office parties), think of all the company holiday parties that were cancelled after 9/11 and the money donated to charities. But that decision hurt all the people who worked at the hotels and restaurants and caterers and all the other stuff that go along with those parties (musicians, decorators, photographers, etc.).

In fact, having a blowout party with a great band would be a great way to spend $10,000. I nominate Sarah in SC, who has awesome parties down in Charleston, to host :).

NW-Bound said:
Personally, I do not enjoy sitting on a ship watching the ocean. I have to go ashore.

Compare sitting on a ship to the adventure of RV'ing across Alaska, looking for a place to park overnight, watching over your shoulder for bears... What a thrill! How about crossing Siberia?

We went across the Atlantic once on Regent line. 8 days at sea was fun, great workouts, cooking classes, had my daughter and broher with us, so good company. It was quite relaxing too. Not for everyone for sure. RV'ing definately not my cup of tea.

Hmm... Cooking classes. Family and friends as company. Perhaps I should reconsider.

Still, people have different interests and that's a good thing. Life would be very boring if we are all alike. Even RV'ers do not all go to the same places.

Some people like to go on an African safari. No, not me. Good thing my wife does not like it either. I am still working on her about the Alaskan RV trip. Siberia is very far-fetched right now, and way, way down the list and not likely to happen. Just a pipe dream, but more to my liking than climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro. Yes, we are all different.

Last edited:
All this talk about cruises reminded me of this couple with whom we shared the dinner table at the last cruise we took.

This nice couple along with a son were taking this cruise itinerary as the 4th or 5th time. Each year, they flew to Florida to go on the same week-long Caribbean itinerary on this Royal Caribbean ship. The husband was a professor at a medicine school. Surely, they could have tried something different each year, but no. I guess they found what worked for them, so did not bother to change.

And then, a stewardess volunteered that on the ship, there was an elderly wealthy woman from New York who would book a nice suite on the ship for an extended period like a month or two every summer. She just stayed in her suite, and had food brought up. One night, she did not feel well and did not eat much, and the crew noticed that. As a special customer, she was paid a visit by the ship captain to make sure she was all right.

I guess I am the type who likes to have some variety.

Last edited:
After a long weekend of shopping for a new bed, and finally deciding on a Sleep Number split King with an adjustable base, I am dangerously close to spending $10K. I'll have some change, but not as much as I would have expected. Yikes, mattresses are expensive!

Back
Top Bottom