Let's spend $10K!

I'm a musician, so I'd buy myself about a $3,000 Nord keyboard and a Gibson Les Paul guitar for about $2,000 and then spend 5,000 on flooring...kitchen, dining room, living room.

I would finish replacing all of the 1977 vintage windows in my house. Some of the casement style ones do not open/close properly, so I leave them closed.

I am already saving up to do that. I had planned it for this fall, but my recent lawn tractor purchase and some car repairs in the spring put a medium size dent in my "window fund". I may still be able to pull it off before the snow flies.

If there was change left, I would subscribe to one of those fruit-of-the-month delivery services for several years.

Last edited:
Custom roll-down hurricane shutters, including two big roll-down ones to go over both sets of French doors looking out on the back yard.

I would have this done anyway, but it is one of those upgrades that probably wouldn't pay back on resale, so not a good investment. But hey, if the $10K is mine only on the condition that I spend it.... :)

Ditto with these or a Generac whole home generator.

I would buy a custom baritone ukulele and I'd make an offer on LeavingOhio's Les Paul, if its vintage.

I would put it toward my mortgage, to get it paid off even quicker.

lots of ppl are dreaming of travel but that was one of the no-no's!
Those rules were arbitrary (and W2R doesn't really care for travel. She only travels when a hurricane forces her to leave town!)

For many of us who don't want more "things" travel is the most enjoyable way to spend it. So if you're going to give me permission to spend an extra $10K, I'm going to spend it on what I enjoy most! :D

It has absolutely zero to do with things vs experiences, both of which obviously can be had whether at home or away. It has to do with creativity and imagination.

For those who post without having read the entire thread (I can hardly blame you!), and who don't understand the rational behind the parameters of this poll without seeing the explanation, here it is:

The reason that I set it up this way has to do with happiness. I think that many (or at least some) of us are motivated to travel when we cannot instantly think of anything else that would make us any happier where we are. In other words, we don't always travel because we actually want to GO someplace, but sometimes some people travel because they can't easily imagine any other way to spend our available funds that would make us happy. As a group, we can benefit from exercising our imaginations a little more.

So, I removed travel and vehicles used for travel, in order to make people THINK - - there are probably things/experiences/whatever that you could buy with $10K that would enhance your life and bring you closer to your personal nirvana, right where you are.

Also, I admit it. I get tired of people saying that I should spend more money. So there is also a more secret, secondary motivation for the thread. It is an exercise that I was hoping may help some realize that if one isn't an avid traveler, it is not hard to be content without infinite spending. And perhaps (dare I hope?) some might choose to contemplate their own motivations for traveling, whatever they might or might not be.

So who is the winner? Hopefully all of us. Some answers really stand out, though. Even on the first page we have a great answer from Nords:

Obviously he has had a lot of practice with this exercise, since he and his wife do it and that is what gave me the idea for the thread.

Also, I like BestWifeEver's answer, where she seconds the idea of plastic surgery and adds more:

Last edited:
Having been denied travel, and not caring for electronic toys like iSomething, I guess I would have to spend it on consumables.

Oh, given enough time, I will eat and drink through $10K. It's just the matter of time, oui? But if you hold a clock against me, then I would have to buy expensive stuff. Drink like Kopi Luwak and food like caviar? Well, no. I do not care for those.

I'll think of something. One does not have buy first-class throughout to spend $10K, really. A couple of nice bottles of XO Cognac, a few bottles of single-malt whiskey for me to learn what it is all about, and yes, there's got to be a reason people are raving about tequila, the expensive stuff of course. Aged rum too. They all go into my shopping cart. If I like something, then I will buy a case (Oops, better check to see if the $10K is holding up). And I am not even talking about food stuff yet.

Jamon iberico and foie gras. Where's that steak order place? And did someone mention a Web site for good old boudin noir? Even nutria. I had planned to go to Baton Rouge or LaFayette to try nutria in a restaurant, but since I am not allowed to spend money for gas for my RV, I guess nutria will have to come to me. Better order some Kobe beef and lobsters to be FedEx'ed as backup, since there's no guarantee this nutria will work out for me. Is there any way one can order Cuban cigars? Well, perhaps not. Maybe my wife wants some fancy chocolate. She does not normally wear perfume, but perhaps I should surprise her.

Yes, siree, I do not have to go on travel to spend $10K. I do not even have to leave the home to shop. They will ship to me.

Can I have another $10K?

PS. I have been seeing ads from D'Artagnan, an online source for gourmet meats, appearing on screen. Do they think this $10K thread is for real, that checks have been mailed out to forum members? Lordy, a $10K check does not last long at that place.

Last edited:
We have a small home a couple of blocks from the beach, the best neighbors live next to us, our medical expenses are taken care of by Medicare and Tricare, I have plenty of projects, hobbies, and volunteer work to keep me busy, and I just retired so we can travel a few places before it's too late. I really don't know what else I would like to buy that would make me any happier.

My wife has always been great about being frugal and we have never argued about money. I guess I would give it to my wife and watch her have a good time with it. I've been saving my allowance for 25 years now so maybe I will do that anyway. Thanks for the idea. This could be fun.

Cheers!

This is an easy one for me:

I would restore my first car, my blue '76 Monte Carlo. Totally refurbish the exterior. New paint, seals, vinyl, parts alignment, etc. Why is this easy? Cuz I'm currently in the process of saving up $10k to do just that.

Yes, I know it is utterly frivolous, and definitely NOT LBYM. And I am VERY LBYM, saving 20-25% per year. I'm 40. The house is paid for. College savings and retirement are in a good place. I've been wanting to do this for years: driving the car makes me happy, no matter my current mood. Gotta enjoy life too!

Spend it jointly with my wife:

A nice dinner & concert (like Emmylou Harris coming to Scanton PA 9/19)
Replacement of our bed
Replacement of our RPTV
Stash the rest in our savings account.

I have been seeing ads from D'Artagnan, an online source for gourmet meats, appearing on screen. Do they think this $10K thread is for real, that checks have been mailed out to forum members? Lordy, a $10K check does not last long at that place.
Costco often carries D'Artagnan product available for on-line ordering and shipping included. Won't break the bank. I hadn't ordered any duck confit yet because I need to share with a neighbor - I don't have that much freezer space available at the moment.

Costco often carries D'Artagnan product available for on-line ordering and shipping included. Won't break the bank.
That's good to know. We buy online but the prices including shipping are steep. This looks like a good option.

Since travel toys and travel itself are out, it would be extra principle on our mortgage. Saves us $768 in interest and cuts off 2 full and one partial month of payments off our already beefed up principle schedule.

Cass

I would pay for my wedding (scheduled spring '14). To work around travel restrictions, if DW-to-be's father rebates wedding spending, would use rebate to travel - would like to do Kilimanjaro for 2 weeks for honeymoon.

Back
Top Bottom