Living off the land - In the city!

NW-Bound

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
That is the headline of the Web article linked below.

Live off the land -- in the city - MSN Money

Starting out with benign greens such as wood sorrel, mallow, chickweed, wild mustard, and dandelions, the article quickly progresses to protein sources.

In recent years cities such as New York, Cincinnati and Washington have had special archery hunts to thin out deer herds. Some areas of Arizona are experiencing nuisance populations of rabbits. "We have got bunnies galore," says Arizona Fish and Game spokesman Rory Aikens. Rabbits can be taken in the city limits with a bow and arrow or slingshot. So can "very edible reptiles," including the chuckwalla, a large lizard that Aikens describes as delicious when barbecued: "high protein, zero fat."

As the perky Rachel Ray likes to say, "yummy oh". And do you know that even Hollywood stars are partial to the pigeon squabs? And do you know it is better to clean pigeons outside the home?

Steven Rinella, the author of "The Scavenger's Guide to Haute Cuisine" and "American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon," catches pigeons in his Brooklyn neighborhood. (Because they carry mites, he recommends they be cleaned and plucked outdoors.) Rinella also traps squirrels, which isn't strictly legal because in New York you're supposed to hunt them. He doubts anyone will press charges, given the huge population of the rodents.

"I like to catch some squirrels and pigeons and do them up in nice ways," says Rinella, who's hunted since his Michigan boyhood. The best pigeons are the flightless young ones, also known as squabs, which taste "just amazing." Aikens, who grew up in Los Angeles, says that in his boyhood he and pals would swipe young pigeons from nests under bridges. Then they'd sell them to "two very famous restaurants where the movie stars went."

Here are some delicacies some of our forum members have expressed an interest in.

Though these may seem a little gamey to some, there are plenty of Americans who'd gladly throw a possum on the barbie or roast up a "Hoover hog" (a Depression-era nickname for the armadillo). Detroit retiree Glemie Dean Beasley finds plenty of takers for the raccoon meat he sells to supplement his Social Security checks.

The only tip that I agree with, and sadly already know but have not been able to put into practice pending a successful relocation to the Puget Sound, is the following.

Nancy Leson, who writes the All You Can Eat blog for The Seattle Times, recently pulled up a dozen Dungeness and rock crabs from the waters near her home in Edmonds, Wash., population 40,000.

Haha has been advocating the "other white meat" recently on another thread. I have been to Poulsbo, which a guide book has called the "Geoduck Capital" of the world. But the chance of catching one in the wild looks slim, as most are now raised in private beaches, it appears.

Eeeeeeewwwwww. Now thats nasty. There is no way I would forage for food in the city. Most of the ground is contaminated with heavy metals and dog and cat excrement. Great way to get sick.

I live on the edge of a small city, and 'gather' various 'weeds' and I garden. Don't do critters, though once give a fresh kill rabbit (via cat) to a neighbor.

Most of the ground is contaminated with heavy metals ...

Exactly! The water run-off from the pavement carries a lot of pollutants from cars. Even harmless-looking greens may be loaded with lead and who-knows-what contaminants. It is better to grow your own, or move out to the country side if one wants to forage.

By the way, the article does mention our own Jeff Yeager (the Ultimate Cheapskate) harvesting bamboo shoots from his own garden. That is fairly safe, by anyone's standard. Now, I remember my late father used to have a clump of bamboo in his yard, but never saw him get anything edible from it. Wrong type perhaps.

It is better to grow your own...

And even then you have to be careful. Numerous studies have shown that soil in urban areas is often contaminated with lead and growing vegetables in your backyard could result in lead poisoning. So you either have to get the soil tested or use containers.

Umm... I think my backyard was pretty much pristine desert soil before it was developed 25 years ago. The ancient Indians didn't have access to much heavy metal. I am safe. :)

Numerous studies have shown that soil in urban areas is often contaminated with lead and growing vegetables in your backyard could result in lead poisoning. So you either have to get the soil tested or use containers.

Wouldn't it be better to quote these studies, or the results of your soil tests.

Well, the lead would probably not have come from the indians but rather from air pollution and construction materials left in the ground. Those are the two major sources of lead pollution in urban soils. Your backyard might have been pristine 25 years ago, but land development might have rendered it less than pristine over time...

Long time Euell Gibbons fan here. Kind of drifted away from stalking wild food due to involvement in the rat race but still look for wild berrys when hiking. Now that I am ERed, perhaps I will take up the cause again more seriously.

Free (to stalk the wild asparagus)

Why is this post in the "FIRE and Money" section? Is this a suggestion for those ERs who lost all their money and can't get a job?

Anyway, I would suggest growing sprouts on the kitchen counter/window as a first choice, before I would go foraging for wild greens and if I did go foraging I'd really do my research first.

Why is this post in the "FIRE and Money" section? Is this a suggestion for those ERs who lost all their money and can't get a job?
:LOL::ROFLMAO:

My mispost was unintended, but might have scared off some ER wannabes. Heh heh heh...

Just another article on the Web to show that Americans are suddenly interested in frugality. We have been debating in this forum on whether this phenomenon is going to be short-lived, or the public psyche has been permanently affected. I would not know to bet either way.

I am already as frugal as I can be except for discretionary travel expenses, as I keep repeating. However, they say you cannot take it with you. But more, I recently read this somewhere.

"They say you cannot take it with you. Moreover, for most of us, even if we could, it would melt".

Heh heh heh ... Gee, why do I sound (and probably feel) like Uncle Mick more and more? I noticed audrey did that recently too. :D

"They say you cannot take it with you. Moreover, for most of us, even if we could, it would melt"

Thats funny!

Just found this article about lead contamination in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/garden/14lead.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1&hpw

Harmful even at very low doses, lead is surprisingly prevalent and persistent in urban and suburban soil. Dust from lead-tainted soil is toxic to inhale, and food grown in it is hazardous to eat.
His and other research indicates lead levels in people’s blood correspond directly to the amount of lead in the soil where they live.
Dr. Filippelli recommends planting kitchen gardens with fruiting crops like tomatoes, squash, eggplant, corn and beans because they don’t readily accumulate lead. Lead-leaching crops, he said, include herbs, leafy greens and root vegetables such as potatoes, radishes and carrots. Dirt also clings to these crops, making it hard to wash off and thereby increasing the risk of ingesting lead.

Remember that "edible" does not necessarily equate to "tastes good."

Oh, and you might be interested in the following too:

SpringerLink - Journal Article

Well, I found this part interesting "Pb isotope ratios in plants differed from those in the corresponding soils, suggesting that soils were not the only contamination source of Pb and Cd in plants."

Nope, I'm not coughing up $31.50 to read it. Did you? What did it say?

I'm Canadian and can read basic French. Don't do the scientific stuff very well. Et toi?

While I couldn't find a way to read it, the abstract said nothing about plants. Can you tell me what I missed.

Once again, did you read the paper?

Sorry, I thought you might link to an article or thesis published by a University that suggested you could ingest too many heavy metals by eating plants grown in an urban environment.

While it's certainly possible your beliefs may be correct, I'd simply like a more better scientific source than you (unless, of course, you'd like to state your name and scientific credentials). Same as I don't think elected officials should be claiming to understand the science of [-]global warming[/-] climate change.

Well I thought that someone demanding scholarly references would have the necessary subscriptions to read scholarly journals... I know I do. But I can't post copyrighted material. Now that you have the references, perhaps you can go to your nearest library and see if they have the journals... And then you can start doing your own research.

By the way I have a PhD in chemistry (analytical chemistry major), a MS in chemical engineering and experience with elemental analysis on environmental samples. Oh, and I can read scientific papers in English, French and German.

But feel free to believe what you want. I don't really care. You have a nice life now.

OK, whatever. Thanks for answering my questions.

Well I thought that someone demanding scholarly references would have the necessary subscriptions to read scholarly journals...

Some of us are retired. Better use for our meager incomes.

Last edited:
Oh well, so now I'm aware. Plan to throw caution to the winds today and take the path that is lined with urban-grown fennel. Love to pick some, rub it into my hands and inhale. Smells like black licorice. Ahhhhhhhh.:flowers:

Attachments

• fennel.jpg
    fennel.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom