Looking back at the real estate crash on ER forums

You got me curious and I looked up the Zillow price on that $430k now. It shows as $221k so some apparent price improvement from the low.

Thinking back to Jan 2008, I was blissfully unaware of declining RE prices. Maybe in Northern California it hadn't appeared yet? Our house is probably priced now about where it was back then. That's with about 10% CPI inflation in 7 years. So maybe 10% down in inflation adjusted terms around here.

My house is still zillow priced at $50k less than what I bought it for. it still hurts a little. I try to justify by figuring if I had waited 18 months before buying, I'd be out all that rent money, and hindsight is blah, blah. It still hurts.

My house is still zillow priced at $50k less than what I bought it for. it still hurts a little. I try to justify by figuring if I had waited 18 months before buying, I'd be out all that rent money, and hindsight is blah, blah. It still hurts.
From what I've seen, Zillow could be off by 10% easily.

Our house has 10% less square footage and 1 bedroom more then Zillow says. Currently the Zillow price seems maybe about right but one would only know by doing comps and putting it on the market.

Last edited:
Ah!!! Zillow is THE DEVIL!!! 10% "error" is being TOO generous. All markets are different and as best as Zillow *tries* to figure that, I have seen that in places all over the country, Zillow is just plain WRONG. As an example, even though Georgia is a sales price disclosure state (whereas a state like Texas is not) it *should* be able to determine a value that's CLOSE...but, our value is off by *at least* 30%. If I could sell my house for what Zillow shows it at, I would be gone YESTERDAY.

There's a house in my neighborhood, a small 2 bedroom Sears & Roebuck bungalow, that sold for $142,000 back in 2003. It was in pretty bad shape, and needed a total rehab. So a guy bought it, in the hopes of a quick flip, but it took longer than he'd figured. Didn't sell until late 2007, which is around when the market peaked here in Maryland. He got $375,000.

House sold again in 2012, for $152,000. The people that bought it did a pretty thorough trashing of it, but on top of that, much of the rehabbing that had been done before was of the "lipstick on a pig" variety.

Other than learning from whatever foreseeable mistake, if any, you might have made in this decision, there's nothing to be gained from continuing to beat yourself up about it. Focus on things you can do something about.

I don't have much faith in Zillow. It currently values my home at about 20% higher than I paid over ten years ago, but I believe that's unrealistic. About the same or a little less than paid would be my guess, but I'll be finding out this year.

Since my home is utterly dissimilar to any other within five miles, there is no real basis for comparison. Zillow probably does much better with cookie cutter homes in subdivisions.

We bought our dream house in late 2004. It was a seller's market, so we bought high, but not at the peak. We also sold the old house at a crazy-high price in early 2005. It sold twice post-2008 at significantly lower prices. Zillow has the current digs at a 26% premium to our 2004 purchase price, but that's about 90% of "cost," including major improvements that we made shortly after buying. So, we'll likely lose money when we sell, but we had no expectations to recover all that. At the depths of 2008-9, it never dropped much below our purchase price. Our area held up better than many parts of the country.

Zillow is reasonably accurate in our area. The houses are not cookie-cutter; they are large, late 60s unique designs, on 2-3 acre lots. A high percentage sell in a tight range around $90-100/ft2. Depending on condition, upgrades, lot size, etc, it might go a little higher or lower. When I look at Zillow values in our neighborhood, they're mostly in that range, and correspond closely to the county appraisal district's condition ratings.

In other parts of town, smaller investment-type houses are consistently selling for 10-20% above list and Zillow... all cash, and within a few days. Investors are squeezing out all the regular buyers in that market, which has been reported in the local news lately. Especially "fishy" is how certain investors manage to consistently bid a few hundred dollars higher than all the other bids. Our neighborhood generally takes several months to find a suitable buyer who wants a large, older house, on a large lot, with a pool, etc. But when they finally sell, it's very close to the Zillow estimate.

In my area the Zillow prices seem to be a bit high, and lagging a deflating market. House next door is selling right now, so I can see that the selling price was 20% lower than the estimate. Besides falling values, I know the house inside was a mess, and has a 40-year old kitchen, for instance. Needs new floors throughout, etc.

The estimate you see on various sites is a starting point, but no guarantee of a selling price.

That little 3/2 ranch (1500 sq. ft.) cookie cutter tract house we sold in 1997 ... it's now listed on Zillow at over $1.2M. I think that price is probably right because there are a lot of sales there.

It's location is in Silicon Valley and there has been constant above US house price appreciation there for the last 50+ years. From the time we bought it in 1975, the house has gone up at 8.2% per year. Location, location.

Looking back? :p We're still looking at it.

My DH's condo is shown on Zillow at about 65% of what his purchase price was (in late 2007, well before we were married). We rent it out, because we can't (won't) sell it at that price! Luckily, we rent it to a stable tenant who has been there for 4 years now.

Earlier this year, NPR did a story on a new book called Zillow Talk. What was interesting to me was the Fed & equity firms were contacting them during the crisis for data, which isn't available elsewhere. It's a 15 minute podcast, if you're interested. The real estate crisis blip is towards the end.

Does anyone know how Zillow gets its info? I had an agent come and give me a quick estimate that I thought was pretty low. Two weeks later Zillow also lowered the estimated value of my place but not my neighbors.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Does anyone know how Zillow gets its info? I had an agent come and give me a quick estimate that I thought was pretty low. Two weeks later Zillow also lowered the estimated value of my place but not my neighbors.
Sounds like your suspicions may be justified. See the "zestimate" info here: The Zestimate - Find out what a Zestimate is and how it works - Zillow

The Zestimate is calculated from public and user submitted data; your real estate agent or appraiser physically inspects the home and takes special features, location, and market conditions into account. We encourage buyers, sellers, and homeowners to supplement Zillow's information by doing other research such as:
  • Getting a comparative market analysis (CMA) from a real estate agent
  • Getting an appraisal from a professional appraiser
  • Visiting the house (whenever possible)

Our hood peaked 2005 ... a decade later still not there.

As far as zillow ... I like it for market TREND. The peaks and bottoms dates are acurate (even if the scale is not).

Back
Top Bottom