Looks like I'd gambled and lost

bondi688

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have never been sick. I had never been hospitalized or had any surgery. I did not have to take any medication. My father. a two packs a day smoker, died of lung cancer at 83. My mother is still alive and quite lucid at 93. So I figured I 'll wait till I am 70 to take out social security benefits because I do not need the money at 62 or 66. But I just found out I probably have pancreatic cancer and am waiting for the biopsy result. Oh well, them are the breaks.

Wow. Tough situation. Survival rates for that are improving, so I wish the best for you. Stay strong.

Sorry to hear your news. Hang in there. You're in our prayers.

So I figured I 'll wait till I am 70 to take out social security benefits because I do not need the money at 62 or 66. But I just found out I probably have pancreatic cancer and am waiting for the biopsy result. Oh well, them are the breaks.

Sorry to hear that.

How old are you now? Are you married, or have someone dependent on your social security benefits?

I'm 63 and learned a few months back that I have lymphoma. I have completed my Phase 1 infusions, and will be going on "maintenance" infusions every other month for a year or so. I have learned that it's amazing what they can do for cancer treatments these days. You can expect specific treatments tailored to your particular situation. And many of them don't cause the disabling side-effects that some do. Survival rates and durations are increasing every day.

I consider myself very lucky. I hope the same for you. I still plan to wait until 70 to start collecting social security benefits. I still believe that is best for myself and my wife.

Try to remain as up-beat as you can and deal with whatever comes your way once the biopsy results are in. Consider getting a second opinion. And whatever you do, don't regret decisions in the past - they are done, over with, can't be changed, a "sunk cost". Deal with the present and the future.

You didn't "gamble and lose". You made the best decisions given the then-current situation. And now you'll make the best decisions going forward. That's the way life works.

I wish you luck!

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you. Money is not my main concern, although the surgery, if they deem it resectable, and radiation and chemo may be costly, not to say debilitating. I was just thinking that life is certainly unpredictable. Here I am, I thought a perfect candidate for a long life. And to wake up to this nightmare.

Joeea.
Thanks for the sage advice. I am 68, never been married, no heir.

Bondi - I know Texas is a big state, but if you are not treating at MD Anderson, you should make an appointment to see someone there. I am a cancer survivor X 2 (prostate and leukemia). I have not needed treatment for leukemia, but I know that in just the last few years treatment options have improved dramatically.
The same may very well be the case for your cancer. MD Anderson no doubt would be at the forefront of any new treatments. I wish you the best.

Last edited:
Such irony :(. We’ll keep our fingers crossed for favorable biopsy results and good doctors to take care of you. Hang in there.

Last edited:
We just lost a nephew to pancreatic. His wasnt found early and was inoperable.
Germany has some promising treatments. Also a new drug was just approved.
There are also phase 1 clinical trials for other new drugs.
I humbly suggest that you do heavy research as early as possible.
Odds are better the earliest that you are diagnosed.

Best wishes for your complete recovery.

Thanks for the reminder that though we plan well, all we are promised is today.

Thanks for sharing with us and continue to do so.

Current thinking is that 66% of the causes of cancer are just bad luck. A mistake in a cell division. Not something a person does.

My father was a life long smoker and died from pancreatic cancer many years ago. There is a genetic factor to pancreatic cancer. If I may ask, how did you find out you had it? Some sort of symptom?

I have never been sick. I had never been hospitalized or had any surgery. I did not have to take any medication. My father. a two packs a day smoker, died of lung cancer at 83. My mother is still alive and quite lucid at 93. So I figured I 'll wait till I am 70 to take out social security benefits because I do not need the money at 62 or 66. But I just found out I probably have pancreatic cancer and am waiting for the biopsy result. Oh well, them are the breaks.
Wish you the best for this tough time.

I was just thinking that life is certainly unpredictable. Here I am, I thought a perfect candidate for a long life. And to wake up to this nightmare.
Yes, life is uncertain. Despite the best planning, we may not achieve the desired outcome because of unexpected events. Try to be positive and stay busy.

bondi688
So sorry to hear. Stay positive and research all information out there to avail yourself of the best chances of recovery.

Stay strong and positive aren't a lone.

My cousin got diagnosed with pancreatic cancer over 10 years ago. He is still with us, and still fighting it and has had bouts with 4 other cancers. He lost his wife to breast cancer about 5 years ago.

Illigitimus non carborundum! but really Noli pali a scelestis oprimi!

So sorry for your troubles. But keep your head up, hopefully it can be treated. No statistics to back it up.....but sure seems like we hear of more pancreatic cancer these days.

So sorry to hear this.

Very best wishes to you.

Last edited:
Keep your chin up and keep an open mind to treatments.

One of our church members was diagnosed at Duke a little over 5 years ago. He did research and travelled to Florida for an alternative type of treatment. I don't know the details but he is as active today as he was five years ago and appears to have been cured.

I

Sorry to hear of this development, bondi688.

Stay positive and seek out 2nd (and 3rd) opinions, if needed.

omni

I'm really sorry to hear about this, but stay positive. We never know where life is going to take us so we have to enjoy each day that we have and never take it for granted.

Sorry to hear, stay positive.

About 7 years ago a buddy was told to get his affairs in order, quickly. He'd been told he had glioblastoma and possibly weeks to live.

Traditional surgury and radiation. He managed to get into a clinical trial and today he's well. I'm not sure he's cured, but he's living life every day.

All the best to you.

Back
Top Bottom