Looks like I'd gambled and lost

MD Anderson is not a chain. MD Anderson was created by the Texas Legislature and is part of the University of Texas system. It does have several locations in the Houston area as well as a few outside of Texas. It was created to be a comprehensive cancer center.

US News and World Report ranks MD Anderson #1 in the US giving it a score of 100/100.

I am not sure that looking at cancer survival rates along is the best way to assess cancer care. MD Anderson has a lot of people who travel from out of town to get care because their cases are difficult and not treated well elsewhere. It has access to some cutting edge treatments that aren't available elsewhere. In short, I would guess that as a group many MD Anderson patients are sicker than average (for cancer patients).

Years ago I had a friend who received treatment there for a difficult cancer. She consulted with several places before choosing MD Anderson. The place that was her second choice (another fine facility in the Houston area) told her flat out that MD Anderson was better for what she needed. Anyway, she had some tests at multiple place and was struck with how careful and thorough MD Anderson was.

We are actually planning to move out of the Houston area but still within Texas. One factor which argued against the move was MD Anderson not having offices in Texas except near Houston. That said, if I ever had cancer I would at the very least get a second opinion from MD Anderson.

As for cost - on my current insurance MD Anderson is in network for my insurance. It does take Medicare. A few years ago when all the PPOs vanished from Houston one of the controversial things was that MD Anderson was not in network on any ACA plans. I think that is still the case but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the info. Locally, they have recently opened a center where I live, in cooperation with a local hospital.

It is true as you point out that a center that deals with difficult cases may have a lower success rate than average. Statistics however classifies cancer survival rates according to the stage of the disease.

For early stages of cancer, the treatments would be standardized, and I don't think MD Anderson will not do anything differently than a lesser known center. And if there is a waiting list to get to MD Anderson, one may do better getting immediate treatment somewhere else.

You’re not done yet my friend! Take it from me. I thought I had nut cancer once and colon cancer another time. I was freaking out both times. Turned out to be nothing both times. You have not gotten your results back yet. Try to relax. Thoughts and prayers out to you my brother. Keep us informed.

MD Anderson is not a chain. MD Anderson was created by the Texas Legislature and is part of the University of Texas system. It does have several locations in the Houston area as well as a few outside of Texas. It was created to be a comprehensive cancer center.

US News and World Report ranks MD Anderson #1 in the US giving it a score of 100/100.

I am not sure that looking at cancer survival rates along is the best way to assess cancer care. MD Anderson has a lot of people who travel from out of town to get care because their cases are difficult and not treated well elsewhere. It has access to some cutting edge treatments that aren't available elsewhere. In short, I would guess that as a group many MD Anderson patients are sicker than average (for cancer patients).

Years ago I had a friend who received treatment there for a difficult cancer. She consulted with several places before choosing MD Anderson. The place that was her second choice (another fine facility in the Houston area) told her flat out that MD Anderson was better for what she needed. Anyway, she had some tests at multiple place and was struck with how careful and thorough MD Anderson was.

We are actually planning to move out of the Houston area but still within Texas. One factor which argued against the move was MD Anderson not having offices in Texas except near Houston. That said, if I ever had cancer I would at the very least get a second opinion from MD Anderson.

As for cost - on my current insurance MD Anderson is in network for my insurance. It does take Medicare. A few years ago when all the PPOs vanished from Houston one of the controversial things was that MD Anderson was not in network on any ACA plans. I think that is still the case but I'm not sure.

+1
MD Anderson may be one of the best things about Houston. People not only from other states, but other countries, travel to Houston to seek treatment for their cancers at MD Anderson. They are on the leading edge of treatment for all the types of cancers. Their capabilities are huge in terms of the number of patients served. Having been there with my dad during his Lymphoma treatments I’ve seen the multiple floors of packed chemo treatment rooms. It’s simultaneously impressive (the load they can handle) and depressing (to see so many folks of all ages battling cancer).

Good luck with the diagnosis and my prayers are with you.

I live on the north side of Houston (25 years now). My next door neighbor has had colon and breast cancer and MD Anderson has got both in remission for several years now. She is 72 and living a full life these days.

My BIL from North Carolina was suffering from kidney cancer about 5 years ago and was told by facilities is the Carolina's and NY state that they could do no more for him. He flew to Houston and stayed with us for a couple of weeks while MDA worked on him. He survived for a few more years and finally passed, but they apparently helped him make it for those few more years.

Like others said, they seem to have a great track record.

I am so very sorry to hear this, Bondi688. I agree with the others that said you made the very best decision for yourself, at the time that you made it, and think now of the present and the future.

My brother, died at age 45 in 2001, but we could not get him to seek care at a better hospital. He only went to the local hospital. He was already stage 4 lung cancer, so it might not have made a difference. However, I agree with the others in urging you to go to a top cancer treatment facility. There have been tremendous discoveries in cancer treatment since 2001.

I hope for a great biopsy diagnosis for you. If you need treatment, I hope you get the best of care. I hope that you have friends and family to surround you for support.

I wish you the very best and I will be praying for you also. Please keep in touch and feel free to vent when needed. You have a lot of people pulling for you.

I'm so sorry to hear about this...but it's not for sure yet and you have to stay strong. We are all pulling for you and praying for you. Keep in touch...

I'm so sorry to hear about this Bondi688. It may be faint comfort, but I give you the words of Alfred, Lord Tennyson. From his poem Ulysses

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Last edited:
Reactions: W2R
You can get 6 months worth of "redo", but no more than that.
You cannot go from 68 back to 66.
The links I provided seem to say otherwise. The key is to "file and suspend" at NRA, not to just ignore NRA.

Even though we have some good medical centers here in the LI./NYC area, my mother was sent to MD Anderson soon after she was diagnosed with multiple myeloma back in 1991. She spent two long stretches (6-9 weeks) there in 1991 before returning home. Her disease was mostly under control for 4 1/2 years until she finally succumbed to it in 1991. Thanks to MD Anderson, she was able to lead a pretty normal life for those 4 1/2 years.

In no particular order.

MD Anderson, TX
Sloan Kettering, NY
Dana Farber, MA

The top 3 cancer treatment centers in the country.
If I have a reoccurrence they are the only places I would ever consider.

MD Anderson is not a chain. MD Anderson was created by the Texas Legislature and is part of the University of Texas system.

It is a little confusing, as MD Anderson does have a "network" of affiliates across a lot of the US. These centers have some access to the expertise at MD Anderson, and have agreed to use the same evidence-based system for choosing treatment options. They also have to report their results to MD Anderson. These centers do feature the MD Anderson name heavily in their advertising, and I'm pretty sure Anderson makes money from this relationship. So, it is a bit like a "chain.". On the face of it, it does sound like a good way to improve cancer treatment beyond MD Anderson's center in Houston. In practice, I don't know how much of this is marketing and how good the treatment is out in the hinterlands. It might be great, I don't know.
My FIL was treated at MD Anderson, I went with him on a road trip for one of his treatments. It was an impressive place.

Last edited:
OP, I'm so sorry you are going through this.

I'm a firm believer that our mental health affects our physical health, so please take care of your mental health, too, as you go forward.

Wishing you the best possible outcome.

So sorry to hear that. I hope u dont have cancer. Im taking my SS at 62 or 63. Im not waiting till 70.

The links I provided seem to say otherwise. The key is to "file and suspend" at NRA, not to just ignore NRA.

I have no idea what "NRA" means in this context, nor how it lets you go from 68 to 66.

MOD HAT ON

One of the great things about this site is that the members genuinely care for each other, as this thread abundantly demonstrates. In response to Bondi's post, many have shared encouraging words and anecdotes about their family and friends. We're certain that Bondi appreciates it. We surely do.

We have, however, been reminded by one of our physician members that treatment regimens and prognoses for any disease are both: a) highly individualistic and b) rapidly evolving, given new understanding and technologies. That is particularly true for this disease. Accordingly, we want to remind any who are reading this thread now or in the future that anecdotes are just that - one persons's story. It may not, indeed probably will not, apply to any other person. If you have a medical issue, you should always consult your own doctor and ask questions until you understand the answers. Because, for all our good intentions, we are still all just some guy or gal on the internet.

MOD HAT OFF

Bondi, so sorry to hear what you are going through. I hope you have a good support system. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Last edited:
It is interesting that your dad must have had some symptoms that parallel those of pancreatic cancer, else they would not do the biopsy to check that out. Is he still suffering from these symptoms?

They did an ultrasound and ran many tests before discovering a huge cyst or growth on the head of his pancreas. This then prompted the two biopsy. Seems, best guess now is it is just a cyst and at the age of 81 they won't do anything since he has no other symptoms. He had shortness of breath and that was about all the symptoms he had at first. Full work up was called for.

It was a very crazy two months for us and for him. One day he thought he was a goner in less than two months and then to have an aortic valve replacement to back to living independently in the last 4 months. It has been over 6 months since the cancer scare.

He did not have any blood markers for the cancer, yet the Dr. at M.D. Anderson that did the first biopsy stated in his professional opinion, my dad still had terminal cancer.

I believe there is always hope. I also, in my personal opinion, that God is in control of it all.

Thanks for your interest.

MOD HAT ON

One of the great things about this site is that the members genuinely care for each other, as this thread abundantly demonstrates. In response to Bondi's post, many have shared encouraging words and anecdotes about their family and friends. We're certain that Bondi appreciates it. We surely do.

We have, however, been reminded by one of our physician members that treatment regimens and prognoses for any disease are both: a) highly individualistic and b) rapidly evolving, given new understanding and technologies. That is particularly true for this disease. Accordingly, we want to remind any who are reading this thread now or in the future that anecdotes are just that - one persons's story. It may not, indeed probably will not, apply to any other person. If you have a medical issue, you should always consult your own doctor and ask questions until you understand the answers. Because, for all our good intentions, we are still all just some guy or gal on the internet.

MOD HAT OFF

+1

I have never been sick. I had never been hospitalized or had any surgery. I did not have to take any medication. My father. a two packs a day smoker, died of lung cancer at 83. My mother is still alive and quite lucid at 93. So I figured I 'll wait till I am 70 to take out social security benefits because I do not need the money at 62 or 66. But I just found out I probably have pancreatic cancer and am waiting for the biopsy result. Oh well, them are the breaks.

Hopefully everything works out for you.... However your concern about when to take Social Security is not relevant for your situation as you described it.

They did an ultrasound and ran many tests before discovering a huge cyst or growth on the head of his pancreas. This then prompted the two biopsy. Seems, best guess now is it is just a cyst and at the age of 81 they won't do anything since he has no other symptoms. He had shortness of breath and that was about all the symptoms he had at first. Full work up was called for.

It was a very crazy two months for us and for him. One day he thought he was a goner in less than two months and then to have an aortic valve replacement to back to living independently in the last 4 months. It has been over 6 months since the cancer scare.

He did not have any blood markers for the cancer, yet the Dr. at M.D. Anderson that did the first biopsy stated in his professional opinion, my dad still had terminal cancer.

I believe there is always hope. I also, in my personal opinion, that God is in control of it all.

Thanks for your interest.

A pancreatic cyst and pancreatic cancer are different problems. I’m glad your dad is doing well.

Back
Top Bottom