Losing part of your social security when a spouse dies

Since SS is so far away (24 years) for me, I have 4 associated scenarios with SS on my planning spreasheet:

- no SS of any kind
- My SS only for me or my DW if I pass as high earner
- My SS for me & 1/2 my SS for DW (best case)
- DW's SS as the low income earner, before collecting mines, maybe at 67 or 70

For me, FI will mean no SS, anything else will be a bonus. Some say too conservative, but I don't want to be wrong on this.

I'm the spouse that would be in worse shape if my husband were to die early. My survivor benefit is one half. I might have a few gap years until I could take his full (and higher) SS but I'd plan to do that. We've got expense spreadsheets for both together and me alone (fewer baseball tickets and only one airline ticket for trips). We're looking into some term insurance to fill the gap.

I've also come to terms with the idea that I might have to make some slight adjustments for awhile - maybe a part time job, or a move to a smaller home. Since my husband is 8 years older than me I'm willing to take that chance so we can enjoy some active retirement years while it is still possible.

That is one of the reasons I did not elect survivor benefit packages on my pensions. Want DW to have a vested interest in keeping me alive for a long time. Don't want her to get any funny ideas. :D
Seems like very good plan. No man wants his DW to slowly poison him to an early grave so she can have a fling with cabana-boy. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom