Low Cost RV Travel

We bought the used Casita a couple of years ago and have made a few trips. I owe a big thanks to Travelover for showing me the ropes regarding these "egg" RVs.
We looked at Class B's, and for traveling as you mention (staying each place just one night), they might be good. But if staying somewhere for a longer time, I personally wouldn't consider one. Not having a separate "local use" set of wheels means I'd have to break camp and put everything away (electrical, sewer, power, re-stow everything in cupboards, etc) just to drive into town. And fitting everything into a van's footprint (even a long van) drives compromises that aren't shared by a small trailer.
A molded fiberglass trailer or molded fiberglass 5th wheel isn't right for everyone, but it was a really good fit for us. We'd probably go a different route if we were full timers or going on trips longer than a month or so. It's great to have choices.

I could be happy with the setup like yours too, instead of my class C + toad setup. For me, it's about what works for traveling, not about RV living where a 5th wheel or diesel pusher may be preferable.

In our RV treks, the longest we have stayed in one spot was about 5 days (not counting week-long stays in rented timeshares), but that is rare. Usually, our stay was just one night or two, for a stop. A main destination may merit a 3-night stay or longer.

The nice thing about a motorhome pulling a toad is that when it rains, once I find a spot to pull off the road I do not have to get wet to get out of the truck to go back to the trailer.

The inability to back up did cause some consternation a few times. In 8 years of RV'ing, 4 times I had to get out to disconnect the toad in order to turn around. One time, Google map led me down a dead-end muddy gravel road, and it was raining hard at the time. While I was mad at Google map, I was still glad the motorhome was a 25' class C instead of a class A, or a truck+5th-wheel. I could see getting stuck easily on the muddy road shoulder. Can you say "tow truck"?

Last edited:
The whole idea of RVs has always intrigued me, but never enough to make me buy one. DW has an older cousin who bought a used Class C (Roadtrek) and they spent an entire year traveling all over the 48 states. They loved it and were so comfortable using it that when they visited us they turned down a very nice guest room to sleep in the Roadtrek in our driveway.

So I guess it's really just a matter of chemistry between the RV and the people.

Has Roadtrek ever made a class C? I have only seen class B's from them. Here's a Roadtrek. It's the smallest class of motorhomes, but very agile and mobile.

210Populsr_Exterior_1920x1280.jpg

And here's a typical class C. Quite a bit more cumbersome than a B, but much better than an A or 5th wheel, as long as you do not tow a car behind it.

2018_ForestRiver_Forester.jpg

Last edited:
I love our 2004 32' Southwind. Have had it for 10 years. I about know how to fix everything by now...lol

in YOUR Rv, you have your own closet, bathroom, medicine, refridgerator, clothes, etc..
We choose the RV also.

Back
Top Bottom