Join Early Retirement Today

Lower gas prices means no Social Security increase next year
Old 10-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lower gas prices means no Social Security increase next year

From the Wash Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...2fc_story.html

That means 1/5 of the nations population will not see a raise next year. This is only the third time in 40yrs that has happened.

If I were an odds man, I would retire next year knowing I would get an increase the following year.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 11:15 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
From the Wash Post.

That means 1/5 of the nations population will not see a raise next year. This is only the third time in 40yrs that has happened.

If I were an odds man, I would retire next year knowing I would get an increase the following year.
Oh pooh!!! I was hoping for at least a little bit of a COLA.

Oh well, as you imply there's always next year. We might get a whopper of a COLA then, if gas prices revert to their prior levels. Plus, I think that home prices might be rebounding as well.

We have been through this no-COLA business before, I think maybe for the first year or two after I retired in late 2009? Oh how quickly we forget.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I barely eked out a COLA this year. Pension requirements state inflation rate must be between 0%- 5% to get a 2% COLA. Last month of the 12 month cycle just barely pushed above 0% at 0.12%. About $125 a month after taxes, so it will be noticeable change in the monthly check.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah, its only happened 3 times in 40 yrs. and I have been lucky enough to endure all 3.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #5

To make matters worse, we just got notice that our prescription insurance is going up ~30%, or $112/month next year. Sez who there's no inflation? Liars!
Old 10-11-2015, 04:14 PM   #6

Looks like I'll be in the 30 percent of Medicare beneficiaries who will be on the hook for a premium increase to help pay for the increasing cost. I'm glad to see the ACA is reducing medical cost so much. And thanks to the wisdom of our lawmakers, I get to help pay the premium increases for the other 70% while they get a free ride. Add insult to injury, I have basically have no choice. Well since I didn't have any choice to pay SS and Medicare taxes all my working years, then why should I have a choice now that I'm retired.

Is this a great country or what.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:38 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
To make matters worse, we just got notice that our health insurance is going up ~30%, or $112/month next year, mostly for prescription coverage. Sez who there's no inflation? Liars!
My health insurance is going up $19.83/month next year. Also, I don't know yet if I will get caught in the Medicare 50% increase, which I guess is at least another $52.45/month for a total of $72.28/month increase. Well, or more if they increase Medicare cost this year.

I am thinking that 2017 will be better, though.

Another factor that they NEVER seem to include, is a monetary value for extreme happiness in a given year. I have been pretty doggone happy since I retired, and surely that is worth some sort of imputed income in dollars and cents. I'll bet it more than makes up for the increase in health costs. As long as they don't start taxing me on the imputed income due to my level of happiness, I'll be fine.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Another factor that they NEVER seem to include, is a monetary value for extreme happiness in a given year.
Don't give them any ideas. Then they may start taxing us for extreme unhappiness with their policies, practices and laws. I'm sure I couldn't afford that!
Old 10-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Looks like I'll be in the 30 percent of Medicare beneficiaries who will be on the hook for a premium increase to help pay for the increasing cost. I'm glad to see the ACA is reducing medical cost so much. And thanks to the wisdom of our lawmakers, I get to help pay the premium increases for the other 70% while they get a free ride. Add insult to injury, I have basically have no choice. Well since I didn't have any choice to pay SS and Medicare taxes all my working years, then why should I have a choice now that I'm retired.

Well I would personally like to thank you for keeping my premium the same for next year.........if that makes you feel any better.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Well I would personally like to thank you for keeping my premium the same for next year.........if that makes you feel any better.
No, it doesn't.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:26 PM   #11

Quote:
No, it doesn't.
I kinda figured it wouldn't.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:14 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

But isn't the flip side of this, that inflation has not increased this year. wouldn't that mean the things seniors need (outside of health care cost which always seems to go up) are not going up also?

I know since I drive about 110 miles a day, I'll take the lower gas prices any day.

personally this article makes me say a bunch of prayers that I am not in the position of financial disaster if my ss doesn't go up.
Very sad.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
From the Wash Post.

If I take SS @ 70.. I have 16 more years to wait.... so no raise for many years.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

As I understand it, as soon as there is a COLA on the SS of those already collecting who have Medicare deducted from the SS payments, their Medicare premiums will be increased until they are the same as you (and I, also not collecting SS yet but on Medicare) pay. Our projected increase (which may not happen--legislation has been introduced to prevent it) means we will only temporarily be paying more; all will be equal within a few years.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #15

My pension has no COLA, so I'm happy with low inflation. The hit I will take on my small SS will not be major. I think I will be able to struggle along with Medicare increases as opposed to medical insurance I paid before I started Medicare.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:16 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
To make matters worse, we just got notice that our prescription insurance is going up ~30%, or $112/month next year. Sez who there's no inflation? Liars!
Is that a plan D? That's crazy. DH just switched to Humana Walmart Rx and it's only $18 a month for 2016.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
As I understand it, as soon as there is a COLA on the SS of those already collecting who have Medicare deducted from the SS payments, their Medicare premiums will be increased until they are the same as you (and I, also not collecting SS yet but on Medicare) pay. Our projected increase (which may not happen--legislation has been introduced to prevent it) means we will only temporarily be paying more; all will be equal within a few years.
That's my understanding too. In the bigger picture the amounts are very small (a little more than $600 next year per person that's affected) However, it's still unfair no matter what the amount. Let's see if they can "right their wrong" before they take our money, again.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:36 PM   #18

Quote:
For just the third time in 40 years, millions of Social Security recipients, disabled veterans and federal retirees can expect no increase in benefits next year, unwelcome news for more than one-fifth of the nation’s population.
I don't know why the WaPo thinks this is "unwelcome news". It seems like good news to me. I buy gasoline. I buy other stuff, too. If average prices have stayed about level, that's good news.

I have a modest non-COLA'd pension. I'm better off with
no inflation, no SS increase, and no pension increase than I would be with
some inflation, some SS increase, and no pension increase.

Quote:
That doesn't compute for me.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:33 AM   #19

Personally I like low cost gas, been packing on the miles travelling.
I'm too young for SS right now so not affected.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I really have mixed emotions on the low inflation of late. I really think I am better off with low inflation
with my level of saving and having
no COLA on SS or high interest rates on cash. But my gut likes seeing SS and interest rates go up. Head VS: Gut. Oh well, can't do anything about it.
But I remember the high inflation of 35 years ago and do not want that back.