Lower my AGI for a Roth conversion

jIMOh

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I did a Roth conversion today- selling 3k of one fund in my rollover and buying 3k of same fund in my Roth.

I should be doing this on taxable income of 62k- that was about what my taxable income was in 2007.

Some questions-

My AGI in 2007 was 103k. My wife was out of work collecting about 80% of base pay for around 2-4 weeks this year, plus heath insurance premiums increased (we had twins) plus we used an HSA for about 1.5-2k this year.

How many ways can people suggest I reduce my AGI so this Roth conversion works?

1) increase 401k (put in 11%/8k now, I don't think I could squeeze anything more than $500-$1500 out of this between now and dec

2) sell some stock at a loss (does a capital loss lower AGI?).

I can't think of other ways immediately, if there are suggestions, I am listening.

If the conversion does not work I can recharactorize before April 15 with no tax penalty according to what both T Rowe Price told me and what is in pub 590.

You are right about Pub 590. We do those rechar transactions fairly often when folks come up against the income limits for Roths after making the contributions.
I don't think cap gains would help, only reductions of income, like your plan for more contributions to the 401k.

Capital losses will lower your AGI - May have a easier time finding them this year. Sell stock at a loss. Any number in () or with a - sign in front on page 1 of your 1040 will help. This is a bit of a stretch (and I am making WAG) but maybe Married Filing Separately may work if you only want to fund one ROTH.

Oh, sorry, now that I looked at a 1040 to refresh my memory...any chance you have a small business on the side--business losses will also help.

Oh, sorry, now that I looked at a 1040 to refresh my memory...any chance you have a small business on the side--business losses will also help.

Yes- I coached soccer and got paid. My losses should offset the ~2k I earned from that (milage and equipment). But thanks for the heads up on this.

Sometimes your company will let you make "annual catch-up" contributions to your 401(k), so that, for example, if you've only been contributing 11% up until now, you might be able to up your contributions to ~25% for the remainder of the year to get you up to your 15% limit (or 15,500 whichever comes first).

Sometimes your company will let you make "annual catch-up" contributions to your 401(k), so that, for example, if you've only been contributing 11% up until now, you might be able to up your contributions to ~25% for the remainder of the year to get you up to your 15% limit (or 15,500 whichever comes first).

I need to play with this-

25% contribution would be close to $1000.

I am contributing $1000/mo to wife's Roth in October and slightly less in November, so this might be doable the last month and a half.

bumping this for more input

I am probably going to increase 401k contributions starting Nov 1 paycheck. I have 4 paychecks between Nov 1 and years end (Nov 1, Nov 15, Dec 1, Dec 15) and need to adjust pay by $3000.

Meaning I need 3k less on my AGI for 2008 than I had for 2007.
If I am thinking about this right, I need $750 extra to be put into 401k each paycheck, so I need to divide my current NET take home into 750 and figure out the 401k% to use.

Does this make sense?

example- gross pay is 3000 per check
if current 401k is 11%, the net take home is 2670

750/2670=28%

so 401k needs to be 11%+28%=39% to make this work?

I did a Roth conversion today- selling 3k of one fund in my rollover and buying 3k of same fund in my Roth.

If the conversion does not work I can recharactorize before April 15 with no tax penalty according to what both T Rowe Price told me and what is in pub 590.

MAGI is affected by almost everything above line 37, Adjusted Gross Income, and a few things not part of AGI. Definitely capital gains and losses. However, if you ahve no capital gains, remember that loss deductions are capped at $3000 in any tax year, so if your $102,000 AGI doesn not include any capoital gains, or if you perhaps have some tax free interest, you may not get below the $100,000 MAGI limit for conversions.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom