Make your own dryer sheets

free4now

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I happened across this fairly decent article with lots of ideas for frugal living:

Ten Ways to Start Living the Frugal Life

And it looks like we need a new category for this board because they have an article on:

Homemade Dryer Sheets - How to Make Dryer Sheets

Cliff Notes: soak some fabric in fabric softener.

On another note, I've recently tried a set of dryer balls and I think I like them. I think they might reduce drying time, and they definitely seem to reduce uneven drying (where a towel for instance stays much wetter than the rest of the load). But I have noticed that fragile garmets like my stretchy t shirts get messed up: the collars stretch and the surface pills up. So I only use the dryer balls on heavy fabrics like jeans and towels.

I've never used dryer sheets - at least not after I moved out of my parents house in college. My parents always left used dryer sheets lying around in the dryer.

Audrey

Dryer sheets, schmyer sheets... :LOL:

They gunk up the dryer screen (and your clothing)... I do add about half the recommended amount of liquid softener to the rinse cycle.

Dryer sheets, schmyer sheets... :LOL:

They gunk up the dryer screen (and your clothing)... I do add about half the recommended amount of liquid softener to the rinse cycle.

Oh yeah well I only use .2758 of the detergent!

I confess that after decades of laundry detergent only, two years ago I started adding small amounts of fabric softener to the towels load. The towels were getting rough and that solved the problem. I never seemed to have this problem with laundering our towels when we lived in a house, but for some reason the towels we got for the motorhome needed softener - or maybe it's the laundry facilities we have to use. I've discovered that if I throw one thing washed in the towels load in the dryer with another load, it imparts a wee bit of softening there too.

Audrey

I don't use dryer sheets or fabric softener. Since my clothes aren't softened, I guess they must be hard. :)

At first I thought the title of this thread was...Make your own sheets dryer.....:blush:

Humidity forces me to use them as I'm not into the electrical sparks that fly off clothing without them.

I used Bounce. I feel guilty every time I throw one in. Like Im betraying the lbym guild. :(
True confessions....dum da dum dum....
I line dry all heavier clothes (jeans, towels) indoors to save energy and keep electric/gas bill lower.
I tried a touch up for 15 minutes without the dryer sheets and everything felt stiff (sloooooooowwwww pitch).
So next I used a sheet and it helped a lot. My little experiment was conclusive.
The screen on my dryer is fully removable and I rinse it off periodically with really hot water.

I line dry all heavier clothes (jeans, towels) indoors to save energy and keep electric/gas bill lower.
I tried a touch up for 15 minutes without the dryer sheets and everything felt stiff (sloooooooowwwww pitch).
So next I used a sheet and it helped a lot. My little experiment was conclusive.
The screen on my dryer is fully removable and I rinse it off periodically with really hot water.

Yeah I like my clothes soft. I have delicate skin ;)

Towels are the only thing I wash that I wouldn't mind being a bit softer. But I found that using fabric softener on towels makes them less absorbent; the softener seems to make them hydrophobic (beading water up). Which makes the towels useless even though they are nice and soft. So I don't use any fabric softener.

Well I was going to add a well-constructed humorous comment here, buy how can you top beating clothes on a rock and hanging them on a peg!

Well there is the one where one poster asked what clothes were.

Let your imagination soar!

-- Rita

Towels and sheets and jeans are supposed to have that rough line-dried feel. Who wants that greasy smelly finish?

Well there is the one where one poster asked what clothes were.

Let your imagination soar!

-- Rita
I think our avatars should be nude pics of ourselves. Of course we should wear sunglasses to remain anonymous. :cool:

On second thought...perhaps imagination is better...:whistle:

I've always wondered who "they" are.... But, yeah me thinks you are correct....:)

Back
Top Bottom