Do you really re-use dryer sheets? (Or: How do you conserve?)

Nothing wrong with saving money but you must enjoy life a little as well. 50 degrees at night is mighty cold. The dish washer is much less expensive then by hand.
One of the best ways to save money is to stay married the old saying "It's cheeper to keep er" holds true. Now I just hope you love one another.

Enjoy spending a little money what happens if you step of a curb and get hit by a taxi at 58 years old and die. All that money going to the ungreatful relatives.

Enjoy!

MMM

i was wondering what that funny smell around here was, now i know, it's us! :-*

Outtahere said:
Although I do use the dishwasher (only when chockfull) we don't run the drying cycle. I'd never had a dishwasher, it was an xmass present, first months electric bill about knocked me over. There is a button to shut that part of the cycle off, I open the door and let them air dry, it saves on electric and in the winter puts moisture in the air.

I run the dishwasher usually twice a week; I also forgo the drying cycle.

"A bit more seriously - a bunch of people are saying they don't use their dishwashers? Dishwashers use less water than hand washing, a lot less. Ours (a middle-line Kenmore, nothing too fancy) is rated about 5-6 gallons per full load. For our family, we probably run it once every two days. I challenge someone to wash *and* rinse a dishwasher sized load of dishes on 6 gallons. You probably don't want to let two days worth of dishes sit around, so you will be running water several times, consider that. Plus, they are sanitized in the dishwasher."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll accept your challenge. We live in a motorhome and boondock (dry camp without hookups) much of the time. I guarantee you that I can wash the equvalent of a dishwasher full of dishes on considerably LESS than five or six gallons......more like ONE gallon or less.

Carefully scrape the dishes of any loose food. Heat about a quart of water in the teakettle (or get one of the gallon jugs sitting outside in the sunshine), pour into the stainless steel mixing bowl that is our dishpan, with a little soap. The water should be quite hot.

Start with the silverware and glasses, then the plates, and finally the pans. Wash each item with the hot, soapy water and a scrubbie and set aside on the counter. (If you are picky about sanitizing, you can add a touch of bleach to the soapy water. We don't, but we know of some who do.)

Empty out the bowl.

Fill a bicycle squeeze bottle with clean water. Hold each item over the stainless steel bowl and dribble rinse water over it until rinsed. Put in dish drainer.....continue until all dishes are rinsed. Retain the rinse water in the bowl, because you are going to use it further.

Total water consumed will probably be about half a gallon total, unless meat was cooked, in which case, you might have spent a gallon because you probably had to use extra hot soapy water for the pans.

Now.....take that quart or so of rinse water that was caught in your stainless steel bowl, and carry it carefully into the bathroom and pour into the container in the bathroom sink to use for flushing the toilet. (When boondocking, turning off the water to the toilet and reusing your grey water to flush saves a LOT of water use). Your reused rinse water is enough to flush the toilet several times. (We don't reuse the soapy wash water because the soap content is too high and will harm the helpful bacteria in the sewage tank. The soap in the rinse water doesn't seem to damage them badly.)

Our water tank holds 100 gallons and we can usually go two weeks camped out in the desert miles from town on that amount of water easily. It will not include laundry, as we take several loads each week to the laundromat (and bring them home wet and hang up on lines from the awning of the motorhome, etc.). It will include a bucket bath daily for two people, each using about a gallon of water. The rest will be used up in drinking and cooking.

I watch people washing dishes when we visit people with houses. You are right on one thing......they probably DO use a lot more than five or six gallons. But that is not necessary, and we have many years of experience in using much less.

Challenge met...... ;-)

LooseChickens ( I DO realize that generally speaking, you are correct......but I couldn't resist the challenge, because I knew I could meet it with our somewhat unconventional lifestyle).

loosechickens said:
I challenge someone to wash *and* rinse a dishwasher sized load of dishes on 6 gallons.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll accept your challenge.
Challenge met...... ;-)

Wow, you not only met that challenge, but got a second use from even that small amount of waste water. Good job!

Good thing I said 'challenge' and not 'bet' ! I admit, in my mind I was picturing the way most people do dishes, and that is where the waste is. It goes to show how much we could conserve if we really did treat our resources as 'limited'.

Maybe if we had to lug our gasoline by hand from the 'gas store' we would be motivated to buy higher mpg vehicles.

-ERD50

justin said:
I know I'm clean before I get out of the shower. I guess I change towels every few weeks. If it starts to stink - it's definitely time to change the towel! :D My conservation is based around laziness.

Yeah, I was suprised at this one - I wash the towel about once a week - whenever there's extra room in the wash load - or in the summer if it starts to smell moldy.

We recycle and compost a lot - our community pick up system makes it very easy. There is also a "green dump" where you can drop a truckload of brush for $2 - they chip it for use in the parks.

We grow lettuce and tomatoes. Have no air conditioning, buy used stuff when possible. Drive my cars for 10 years.

Two times a year the library has a benefit sale where you can get a grocery bag of books for $5. $2 if you wait until the last day. I share books with a group of friends, and sell them back to the used bookstore when we are done.

The biggest way I conserve is by not engaging in "recreational shopping." It is amazing how much "stuff" I see people buying that is completely unnecessary junk. Not just women and clothing, but the guys at home depot too...

Sheryl said:
The biggest way I conserve is by not engaging in "recreational shopping." It is amazing how much "stuff" I see people buying that is completely unnecessary junk. Not just women and clothing, but the guys at home depot too...

So true. My wife and I buy almost exclusively online, which encourages us to only purchase when we have a purpose (since we also don't browse shopping sites). When we have to buy offline, we only go with a purpose and often it's to used clothing stores anyway.

loosechickens said:
I'll accept your challenge. We live in a motorhome and boondock (dry camp without hookups) much of the time. I guarantee you that I can wash the equvalent of a dishwasher full of dishes on considerably LESS than five or six gallons......more like ONE gallon or less.
And who claimed that ERs lacked intellectual stimulation!

Speaking as a dehydrated submariner who lived much of his sea duty on less than 20 gallons of fresh water per day, we both need to get a life.

This thread is rapidly approaching the LBYM fanaticism of that Simple Living frugalista who was straining the broken glass out of the peanut butter...

loosechickens said:
"A bit more seriously - a bunch of people are saying they don't use their dishwashers? Dishwashers use less water than hand washing, a lot less. Ours (a middle-line Kenmore, nothing too fancy) is rated about 5-6 gallons per full load. For our family, we probably run it once every two days. I challenge someone to wash *and* rinse a dishwasher sized load of dishes on 6 gallons. You probably don't want to let two days worth of dishes sit around, so you will be running water several times, consider that. Plus, they are sanitized in the dishwasher."

Carefully scrape the dishes of any loose food. Heat about a quart of water in the teakettle (or get one of the gallon jugs sitting outside in the sunshine), pour into the stainless steel mixing bowl that is our dishpan, with a little soap. The water should be quite hot.

Start with the silverware and glasses, then the plates, and finally the pans. Wash each item with the hot, soapy water and a scrubbie and set aside on the counter. (If you are picky about sanitizing, you can add a touch of bleach to the soapy water. We don't, but we know of some who do.)

Empty out the bowl.

Fill a bicycle squeeze bottle with clean water. Hold each item over the stainless steel bowl and dribble rinse water over it until rinsed. Put in dish drainer.....continue until all dishes are rinsed. Retain the rinse water in the bowl, because you are going to use it further.

Total water consumed will probably be about half a gallon total, unless meat was cooked, in which case, you might have spent a gallon because you probably had to use extra hot soapy water for the pans.

Now.....take that quart or so of rinse water that was caught in your stainless steel bowl, and carry it carefully into the bathroom and pour into the container in the bathroom sink to use for flushing the toilet. (When boondocking, turning off the water to the toilet and reusing your grey water to flush saves a LOT of water use). Your reused rinse water is enough to flush the toilet several times. (We don't reuse the soapy wash water because the soap content is too high and will harm the helpful bacteria in the sewage tank. The soap in the rinse water doesn't seem to damage them badly.)

Our water tank holds 100 gallons and we can usually go two weeks camped out in the desert miles from town on that amount of water easily. It will not include laundry, as we take several loads each week to the laundromat (and bring them home wet and hang up on lines from the awning of the motorhome, etc.). It will include a bucket bath daily for two people, each using about a gallon of water. The rest will be used up in drinking and cooking.

I watch people washing dishes when we visit people with houses. You are right on one thing......they probably DO use a lot more than five or six gallons. But that is not necessary, and we have many years of experience in using much less.

Challenge met...... ;-)

LooseChickens ( I DO realize that generally speaking, you are correct......but I couldn't resist the challenge, because I knew I could meet it with our somewhat unconventional lifestyle).

At the other end of the spectrum, there's 'California style' dish washing (I have actually observed this on TV and in person):

Fill half of double sink with hot soapy water
Position faucet over other half of double sink
Turn on hot water medium-sized stream
Pick up item
Wash item in hot soapy water
Rinse item under hot water stream
Put item in drainer
Repeat until no more items
Turn off hot water
Empty sink

My wonderful husband usually cleans up the kitchen after dinner and while I appreciate that he does it, he insists on scrubbing the dishes under running water before putting them in the dishwasher! I've mentioned it more than a few times and he just can't seem to undo the habit. When it's my turn I try to load the dishes without even turning the faucet on, just to try to balance the equation.

Here is a funny article from Reader's Digest from last year. The gist of it is that it's demeaning to the dishwasher to be washing dishes that are already clean.

http://www.rd.com/content/mary-roach----my-planet-dishing-dirt/

Back
Top Bottom