Many Retirees Wish They Left Workforce Earlier

Paid vacation time is probably the one thing that keeps me at my job. I get 6.5 weeks plus 12 paid holidays.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

My GF works in a union office job and is amazed at all the people in her office that are long time workers who have 6 weeks vacation and don't bother to use them all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paid vacation time is probably the one thing that keeps me at my job. ....

Actually, paid vacation time is what got me to retire. For years and years, I only took vacation time one week at a time. Then about 10 years ago I took two weeks off and found for me it was much better than one week. Then three. The year before I retired I took the month of August off and like it so much I decided that I wanted to make it permanent.

I don't think that I ever lost vacation time because I failed to use it.

I had the same experience PB. Our company had a "sabatical" program where you got additional paid time off every 5 years. I had 6 weeks during the summer a couple of years ago. We spent the entire time at our cabin on the lake and I realized I didn't miss work at all despite the lack of "stimulation". Lying in the hammock, riding my bike, going for walks was plenty for me. Now I am only 3 weeks into retirement and not going near the camp until it warms up substantially but it was a great practice run for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

... I get 6.5 weeks plus 12 paid holidays.

That's 17%...pretty good! I might have worked longer if I had that kind of time off. Lack of a reasonable amount of vacation time was my main reason for RE. I asked for a sabbatical, job sharing, or anything that would give me 50% time off (or their best offer). They offered me nothing but the measly 7% I already had.

That's very good. I think teachers have more time offs -
a couple weeks off for winter holidays, another couple weeks for winter and spring breaks, and almost three months off in the summer.
That's one of the reasons why teacher pay is lower than it "should be"...lots of people like the time off, so there is a supply and demand issue.

Back
Top Bottom