march 1st questions

semosier

Confused about dryer sheets
Any thoughts on the market if the sequester goes through?

we sold our home, wish to invest some in mutual funds but hubby wants to wait until after the march 1st whatever happens....

thanks

I am involved in similar situation with in-laws' proceeds from home sale. When I look at 1-year charts, it seems that everything is up. My opinion is that several asset areas will correct this year. So I would prefer to buy at a 5-10% discount from where NAVs are now.

I'd like to invest all of the proceeds (about 15% of their total portfolio) before 2013 comes to a close. The alternative is leaving cash in money market, where it does nothing.

Sequester will happen but will have minimal impacts on company bottom lines; except for retail and restaurants in those areas that feel the brunt of slowed down federal spending. Here, in Huntsville, over 20% of the economy is directly tied to federal spending so I expect to see declining home prices, slower restaurants, and less money spent on roads and other city services.

Marc

I vote for a downturn, but the market rarely listens.

we sold our home, wish to invest some in mutual funds but hubby wants to wait until after the march 1st whatever happens....

thanks
Since he has this wish and you did not express any contrary wish in your post, I don't see any downside in waiting in accord with his desires.

OTOH, if you were to insist on immediate investing, and the market did turn down, ...

Ha

Last edited:
This week I intend to rebalance a little out of equities since the market has been on a tear and some of my rebalancing bands have been hit. I'm greedy though, so I need an "up" day to do this.

So the market timer in me says to ya, "Wait." Unlike the Fiscal Cliff at New Year's, I don't think there will be a pop if this resolves itself, just more muddling through. Thus I don't think it will hurt at all to wait a couple of weeks.

thanks

Why don't you value average in over 12-24 months?

Call me naive, but I'm still amazed at how cutting what amounts to 2% of 2012 federal spending (and an even smaller percentage of future spending) causes the sky to fall. The triumph of emotion over logic, I guess...

I don't expect the uncertainty regarding the future to ever go away. It's always something. Therefore I'll to stick to my plan. If my plan calls for 45% equities and have 40 -I buy. If I have 47% I sell some.

Call me naive, but I'm still amazed at how cutting what amounts to 2% of 2012 federal spending (and an even smaller percentage of future spending) causes the sky to fall. The triumph of emotion over logic, I guess...

Because the wingnuts of both parties, and even more so the media outlets associated with each, prefer to whip everyone into a froth any way possible, including outright lying. These made- up crises, which I call "oh goddamn mode", generate eyeballs for advertisers and "energize" the base...

:rolleyes:

Recessions are just small percentage changes into negative growth, which could easily happen with large cuts now since we're barely growing. And the effects do seem to be way out of proportion. But they are real. Makes you wonder how we might survive a shrinking population trend.

Why don't you value average in over 12-24 months?

Best advice ever..thanks tons!!

Buy, Sell. Or the other other way around. The brokers will be happy.

Back
Top Bottom