Join Early Retirement Today
Re: Maxing out your 401k
Old 06-04-2006, 04:44 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's a pretty good #, I would have thought it was less.

Are you running classes at the Firm?

Work is something you do to get enough $ so you don't have to....Me.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2006, 11:04 AM   #22

Originally Posted by Martha
When I was in management in our business of about 75 employees, we converted to a safe harbor 401k plan.* We do not provide a "match" but contribute through our 401k/profit sharing plan a minimum of 3% of an employee's wages and going up to a high of 14.5% depending on age and length of service for non-lawyer employees.* This enables us to put up to 14.5% pretax in the shareholder's pockets so most shareholder's can max out the plan.* Which, if you are 50 and over, is $49,000 for 2006 and $44,000 if you are less than 50.

We don't pay the contribution until year end because it is a profit sharing contribution and we could decide to forgo or reduce the contributions.* We never have made less than the maximum.* The money doesn't actually hit employee accounts until early February because of the plan testing we have to do.

We also have the safe harbor plan, but we make the 3% minimum profit sharing contribution to the employees each month rather than waiting until the end of the year.

Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:12 AM   #23

I think I put about $13,500 into my 401k last year. My company puts in 3% of my pay, whether I contribute or not.

This year I have it set up so that they take out 30% of my pay each period. And in theory, that should put me right at the $15,000 contribution limit for the year, as I currently make $50K per year. However, any overtime and my mid-year pittance raise is going to throw that off. Once I hit that $15K limit though, the company simply stops taking it out of my paycheck. However, they'll keep investing their 3% per paycheck, as the company contribution doesn't count toward your federal limit.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:26 AM   #24

I get a company match on my 401k contributions, up to 4% of each pay check. I also max out contributions each year. As a result, I have to time my bi-monthly contributions so that I reach the $15000 limit on the dec 31 paycheck, or I leave matching money on the table. As a result, I usually adjust my withholding percentage downward when I get a raise or bonus so that my last contribution on dec 31 paycheck is at least 4% of my paycheck. Then Jan 1 I readjust my withholding percentage so I'll get back to using up the IRS limit by Dec 31 again. I talked with HR about a better way to handle this and they couldn't come up with anything. They also couldn't comprehend where all the money was coming from to make a full $15000 contribution. :

Making my contributions approximately equal throughout the year also helps with budgeting and cash flow issues. My paychecks are usually about the same amount each month.

justin is offline   Reply With Quote