Join Early Retirement Today
Medical Insurance
Old 11-27-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Medical Insurance

I have a question. Recently I took a part time job with the government and am eligible for their medical but as a part-timer the cost is almost three times that of full time. At present I waived my retiree is medical from the company I retired from (23years) until I am 65 when I have to get back on. At the present, I am wives. Here how it sizes up. If I get the government insurance for $ 720 a month, dental and vision included after 5 years I can carry it into retirement. Hereís the breakdown as best I can guess.

$720 for the government a month.
$240 for what we are on now.
About $360 or so present value for government retires wife and I if I make it 5 years.
$700 or so present value for my companyís medical at 65.

If I did take the high price of the government now and made it 5 years, it would be beneficial in the end but if I left, I would be out a bunch of money. I cannot believe you only have to have 5 years with the government to qualify for full medical at retirement. At my company, it was pro rated. What I am thinking is to stay on the wifeís and invest the difference in an IRA to offset the cost when I have to get back on my companies retireeís medical at 65. Reason is 5 years is a long time and I donít want the pressure having to stay. Any thoughts.

runnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by runnerr View Post
Reason is 5 years is a long time and I donít want the pressure having to stay. Any thoughts.
One of the biggest causes of dissatisfaction with life expressed on this board is being tied to a job with "golden handcuffs."

"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
Thanks YouBet, my thoughts exactly. When I took the job, it was a good feeling knowing that if it did not work out I could just walk away. To give that up to save some money in the future really is not worth it.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Three questions to consider:

1. What makes you think that government department will keep its word about lifetime medical?

2. What is your health now and do you have any conditions that might cause you to stop working before five years with the government?

3. Is your wife likely to continue with her job and keep her benefits for the next five years?
Oldbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

My health is good and I donít know of any condition that would cause me to have to leave.
As for the government, keeping their word that is anyoneís guess.

My wife is a nurse (NP) and she should have a job she is also younger than I by 11 years, I am 58 and she is 47. I can always get back on my old employers medical at any time. It is much cheaper to be on hers.