Medicare at age 55??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bizlady

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just watched NBC news-- the new Senate compromise is to start medicare at 55 instead of 65. No details as to how that will get covered, but I fear that somehow we would lose our option to continue our medical coverage at very good rates, which includes vision, dental, and reasonalble premiums and deductibles.... YIKES!

Or people without health coverage might be able to buy in at reasonable rates- obviously a lot more to understand.

Can you tell me where to get these very good rates?

Just watched NBC news-- the new Senate compromise is to start medicare at 55 instead of 65. No details as to how that will get covered, but I fear that somehow we would lose our option to continue our medical coverage at very good rates, which includes vision, dental, and reasonalble premiums and deductibles.... YIKES!

YIKES! indeed!!! I have to admit, everything about this health bill is scary to me. I am such a worrier.

I finally decided that the only way to maintain a sane outlook while they are deciding what to do, is to just let it go. There is nothing the you or I can do to influence the outcome. And what is proposed, keeps changing from week to week. No amount of worrying will do anything to help. I can't MAKE our elected representatives do what I want them to do (which I am absolutely certain is the only way to solve our nation's health care crisis, but oh well). They will do what they will do.*

So, I try not to worry and instead to just accept, placidly, that what will be, will be. And try not to get angry (that's the hard part). Things always do seem to work out eventually.

* I do vote, but that hasn't helped much.

I think the idea is that people buying in at 55 pay more than those 65 and older.

I think the idea is that people buying in at 55 pay more than those 65 and older.
And if the "buy in" is optional for those aged 55-64, Medicare will wind up with all the folks in the high-risk categories who can't get health insurance through the private route, even as all the healthier folks choose cheaper options at lower rates.

And if the "buy in" is optional for those aged 55-64, Medicare will wind up with all the folks in the high-risk categories who can't get health insurance through the private route, even as all the healthier folks choose cheaper options at lower rates.
Another potential source is people in small group plans with high rates and/or minimum coverage.

just let it go. There is nothing the you or I can do to influence the outcome.

Exactly. I think our minds are programmed to think that we can make a difference in things like this. Sometimes I think "maybe if I write a persuasive letter to my congressperson..." but that's unrealistic. It's better to not listen to news about something like this until the bill is actually passed.

YIKES! indeed!!! I have to admit, everything about this health bill is scary to me.

I finally decided that the only way to maintain a sane outlook while they are deciding what to do, is to just let it go. There is nothing the you or I can do to influence the outcome. And what is proposed, keeps changing from week to week. No amount of worrying will do anything to help. I can't MAKE our elected representatives do what I want them to do (which I am absolutely certain is the only way to solve our nation's health care crisis, but oh well). They will do what they will do.*

* I do vote, but that hasn't helped much.

At age 39, I am resigned to the fact that whatever is in place today, will NOT be what is in place in 10 years when I will be investigating my options while ER'd. I just shake my head...:nonono:

But that's fine if the high-risk folks are a small minority, personally I like to see it 50-64 :whistle:
TJ

We won't know squat until after the House and Senate versions are reconciled and an entirely new final package comes up for vote. The alleged "leaks" on the Senate agreement explain the Medicare at 55 deal as something people who are unable to get other insurance would be able to enroll in in 2011 - before the OPM style exchange would become available. It would be a temporary offering with no subsidies. There was some vague suggestion that existing plans could not change their policies to dump the high risk portion to take advantage of this offer.

The bottom line is that this whole deal is the health insurance industry enhancement plan. It will end up costing more and enriching the insurers but at least we will move closer to full coverage. Like everything else, we will kick the hard questions down the road a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom