Medicare ID number

timo2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just received my Medicare ID card. The Medicare claim number is my SSN! Holy Cow!. I guess I'll be locking that away, and not carrying it with me, like it says to do on the card instructions. This explains why the AARP magazine I was just reading last week said NOT to carry the Medicare card with you.

I just received my Medicare ID card. The Medicare claim number is my SSN! Holy Cow!. I guess I'll be locking that away, and not carrying it with me, like it says to do on the card instructions. This explains why the AARP magazine I was just reading last week said NOT to carry the Medicare card with you.

Well, you better have it with you when you go to the doctor's office.

DH kept a copy in his wallet with the number blacked out. The original was kept at home. That worked for him.

I plan to do the same although I suppose it could be awkward in an emergency if you were incapable of telling them your number.

Your SS number is all over the net and has been stolen many times. Probably the safest place to flash the Medicare card is in the doctor's office. I'm not saying don't be careful, but let's be realistic.

One advantage to a Medicare Advantage plan is it uses a different card, one that typically does not share your SS number.

DH kept a copy in his wallet with the number blacked out. The original was kept at home. That worked for him.

I plan to do the same although I suppose it could be awkward in an emergency if you were incapable of telling them your number.

That's a great idea. In case of incapacitation, they will also have my driver's license and supplemental insurance card.

Your SS number is all over the net and has been stolen many times. Probably the safest place to flash the Medicare card is in the doctor's office. I'm not saying don't be careful, but let's be realistic.

Yes, all that is true.

But I still don't feel comfortable carrying it around with me.

Last edited:
I figure any Joe Blow can get my SS number if they want. It used to be used on my driver's license and work ID (Federal Government no less). That's why I keep my credit frozen. A bigger worry to me is that I get the impression that it may be a hassle to get a replacement Medicare card as it is for SS which I lost 40 years ago. So I took a photo of it with my phone and put the card in a drawer.

I think the issue is if you carry it around, it could get lost or stolen, while I've never had a wallet stolen, I know someone that has.

For that reason, I don't carry my SSN card with me.

It's pretty annoying we can take all these measures, but EquiSlack can give away everything.

DH just read an article in today's paper that Medicare cards with new numbers will be issued beginning next year.

Back
Top Bottom