Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

After giving away that $5 ticket, I'm starting to feel like Fred C. Dobbs in Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

It would be nice to vacation without worrying about costs.

$1000 a night room would be no big deal. I would stay at the best places in the best rooms.

I only need 1 million, though, not 500mm.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hopefully, you already have a big stash. Else, the $1M at 3.5% WR only gets you 35 nights/yr at $1K/night. Or you can only stay 7 nights, and that is already 20% of your annual WR.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't care what you guys say. If someone is staring a lottery pool at work, there is NO WAY I will not join!

If you won mega millions, how would you spend it? Get your car tuned up? Get some nice clothes?? No, seriously, if you were gifted with mega millions, what kind of non-profit organizations do you think you would start? (I am talking a few hundred million dollars here.) It doesn't have to be "wo*k"; you can just get someone to start it for you, but what would you start?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

About how to spend it, either on myself or charities, I dunno now. I seem to have everything that I need, and my "want" list is small (only business class airfare is on the list right now).

Still, I will not refuse more money. More is always better or at least the same as less, when it comes to money. I will figure out something later. Maybe like this.

PS. I have not bought any lottery ticket for a while. Most likely will not this time either.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glippy View Post
The winner would still be posting on here asking if they have enough to quit their job or if they should stay on for "just one more year."
If I win, I promise I won't be back.

Ha
Old 03-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
If I were to win I would like to stay anonymous but I guess that would be impossible to do with an amount like $500M.
I was thinking that if I won, it would be hard to resist posting in the "What Did You Do Today" thread, "Won the lottery."
Old 03-30-2012, 12:53 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I would finally get rid of the donut in my trunk,and buy a real spare tire.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrClrx311 View Post
As others have eluded to, the odds for a lottery are never in your favor... because as the prize goes up the number of people playing does also. If anyone could ever prove a statistical advantage (payout of 0.0001 for every 1$ bet on average...) then a billionaire would just buy up one of every single ticket and walk away with a 0.01% guaranteed return on investment.
That's true, for a single drawing. Things get interesting if the jackpot rolls over for several weeks running. There have been documented cases of syndicates attempting to purchase every possible combination of numbers to guarantee winning a jackpot which is, say, 3 times the total stake. Their risk, of course, is that there are 4 or more winning tickets that week, but that's offset somewhat by the fact that they will also win all of the minor prizes too. See for example here.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

The number one thing I would do, would be to purchase a few new homes in places I like to visit. Europe and the Bahamas come to mind....and not just a house, really, really nice homes. I could do that on about $10M in extra cash.

With about $250M after taxes, one could have a LOT of fun helping out various causes, especially if there was any way to stay anonymous.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

If I win, I would immediately put on my old clothes & sweaters with a lot of holes on them already.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #52

Last week the Danish lotto told 300 people they had each won $3.8B. That is serious money and they are lucky no one died from surprise.

Quote:
All 300 had received an email from the head of the Danish state-run lottery company, Danske Spil, congratulating them on the astronomical sums they had won, Danske Spil spokesman Thomas Roersig said.

"Three hundred of our lottery players who won the lottery, the Keno, received a message saying they had won a sum in the billions. And they never won that amount ... We are of course very sorry. We have now written to them to inform them of the sum that they really won," Mr Roersig said.

One of the winners, Flemming Dahl, "was a billionaire for an-hour-and-a-half" on Wednesday after receiving an email informing him he had won 28 billion kroner (some $3.8 billion), the Nordjyske newspaper website reported.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #53
gone traveling

Today is DW's last day of w*rk.

Even though she's in the office pool, she already feels she has "won" ...
Old 03-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
That's true, for a single drawing. Things get interesting if the jackpot rolls over for several weeks running. There have been documented cases of syndicates attempting to purchase every possible combination of numbers to guarantee winning a jackpot which is, say, 3 times the total stake. Their risk, of course, is that there are 4 or more winning tickets that week, but that's offset somewhat by the fact that they will also win all of the minor prizes too. See for example here.
I recall this happening in Virginia back in the 1990s. The syndicate arranged with several ticket vendors in advance to buy certain blocks of numbers but some of its members did not end up buying their share so they had some holes. They won anyway.

Question: Did a lottery syndicate EVER buy ALL combinations of California Lottery numbers?

The link mentions the Virginia although the questioner asked about California.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
W2R, you are not even going to move without bothering to sell your existing home? Don't you still want to move? Anywhere in the US (not the world since you do not care to travel) that you want?

That sounds like a nightmare to me. In my opinion all it would do is give me the extra hassles and worry of taking care of two homes instead of one. I could hire someone to see that my house here was rented or taken care of, but then one has to deal with an employee or employees in a distant location reporting all the time.That would interfere iwth my tranquility and would not improve my quality of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Today is DW's last day of w*rk.

Even though she's in the office pool, she already feels she has "won" ...
Congratulations to your DW!! I hope she enjoys retired life tremendously.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

You could just donate the house to charity if you got this rich from the lottery, and walked off free.

Have you bought your lottery tickets? All this talk might just cause me to go get some.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
When I was with megacorp, a few times when the grand prize got this big, I would organize a pool. Nearly everyone in the department bought in, including the department manager.

Quite a few told me that they would not count on winning, but just to hedge the risk that in the remotest chance that we won, they would not be left behind at work, sitting lonely among vacant cubicles. Of course, the department manager would have the most to fear.
Been there, done that. Knowing that everyone else is in the pool increases the enjoyment from winning (because you can rejoice and commiserate with other people in the same position) and increases the disappointment in not playing (because the winners are right next to you and invited you to join them).
Old 03-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Let's see, with our office pool, I envisioned each of us with a cool 19M
after taxes. I can handle that.
Things to do:
1. Move to another state, buy a small house and live quietly.
2. Buy a small vacation condo and commute bet. the two.
3. Spend about two hours a day, managing and investing the money.
4. Go to all the cruises I want to.
5. Trade the old pickup and old car.
6. Upgrade my camera system.
7. Not worry about money.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not buying a ticket. After thinking about it I am frankly afraid of winning. I am enjoying my er and to win would put me back to work with what to do with the money and do it right...i do not need the worry...good luck to everyone ..or may the odds be ever in your favor.
ducky911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That sounds like a nightmare to me. In my opinion all it would do is give me the extra hassles and worry of taking care of two homes instead of one. I could hire someone to see that my house here was rented or taken care of, but then one has to deal with an employee or employees in a distant location reporting all the time.That would interfere iwth my tranquility and would not improve my quality of life.
If I won a half billion dollar jackpot, I'd sooner just give the house away than deal with trying to maintain it, rent it out or sell it.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote