MEN: So...How many GOOD years do you think you have left?

I think worrying about how many good years do I have left is wrong-headed. When and if your years become other than good, you will know. Until then, laissez les bon temps rouler!

Ha

The theme of this thread is definitely of interest. What is the answer? Perhaps HaHa has it.

I turn 62 this year, and I've wondered how long I'll still be able to go on bicycle trips, something I've done since I was 18. I still bike all the time, often running errands on my bike, and I commuted by bike many of the years that I was a working stiff.

I also walk a lot and like to garden. I've always been physically active.

My dad was a good role model. Not only did he ER at 55, he played tennis regularly until he was 85. Alas, my dad suddenly developed polymyalgia at 85 and never regained his stamina or strength once he was diagnosed and successfully treated. He died last year at 94.

My mom said a couple of memorable things after she attended her 50th high school reunion. She said that 1/3 of her class was already dead. She also said, "the women didn't look great, but the men looked like hell."

You'll notice a much bigger drop off in your 40s. Stuff at 35 that ached for a couple days and was funny/annoying becomes "man... my shoulder has hurt for two years now..."

Ha ha! We're still at the laughing about getting old and feeling the burn phase of life. I poke fun at DW all the time about getting old and her aches and pains (she's still in her 30's). It's fun now. :D

And yes, the fatigue and soreness disappears after a day or two pretty much no matter how hard we push it (unless it's a legitimate injury).

I"m not sure when the active vacations will become more difficult. I'm 64 DW 65. We have both been active all of our lives. We bicycle several thousands miles per year for vacations, commuting and recreation. Our last ride was February when we rode the Missippi River Trail averaging about 50 miles per day on a loaded bike. We also walk and recently signed up for a personal trainer.

I play basketball with a group of 50 to 75 year olds twice a week. I bike the 6 miles each way to the gym. This game is a little slow for me (when the 10 most fit and aware players are on the court it is a competitive game) but the game with all the players is fun and convenient.

I also just laced the hockey skates after about 30 years. I am playing with a group from about 30 to 80 years old. That has been physically challenging but I am getting my wind back. The good news is my ice hockey skills were never very good so I did not lose much.

Having said all this, we had our first change of plans as a result of health. We were ready to bike the Erie Canal, a 500+ mile bike trip, but DW ended up with a disc operation. Her recovery is going very well. We are hoping that is something that could have happened at 35 as well at 65. We will see. So, far her recovery is looking very good.

I am willing to cut back and expect that will happen but right now, I think I will be OK for the next 5 years. Well that is as far as I want to look now.

At 46, I have a few aches and pains. Mostly a little arthritis stiffness in my hands and feet. And my eyes are needing readers more and more often.

Never been super sporty but my goal this year is to ramp up the physical exercise. We eat fairly healthy I think but could always do more for the health.

Reading this thread makes me want to go spend a bit more money now!

Ugh... after posting I hope to be 78 kicking ass in tris, etc., I went running this afternoon in the new found heat and FELT like I was 78. *Sigh*... feeling it today at half that age.

One thing is for sure: the older we are, more health issues we develop. I knew a few people who were in excellent physical shape yet unexpectedly died from heart attack in their 50s. We do not know what is going to happen with us so enjoy your life while you can.

Ugh... after posting I hope to be 78 kicking ass in tris, etc., I went running this afternoon in the new found heat and FELT like I was 78. *Sigh*... feeling it today at half that age.

At the time of the following anecdote I was around 32 years old.....pretty much running 10 miles a day, 7 days a week......once in a while, if I felt a little 'off' and didn't want to be miles from home when I felt like quitting, I'd stroll over to the local high school and use the track.

One time, one of the teachers (an 'old' guy around 60), ran with me for a bit, and I recall announcing my intention to keep running "For the rest of my life".......later I became part of a Jimmy Buffett lyric..."Tried and I tried but I don't understand.......
Never seems to work out the way I had it planned."
:)

Lakewood90712, Sorry I don't know how to make a poll. So if someone wants to do it be my guest. Or tell me how?

I have a visual metaphor on hitting late 50's: A balloon slowly losing its air!

Last edited:
Seven weeks ago today I went for my normal morning jog. I figured I was in pretty good shape for a 68 year-old.

That afternoon, I was working on a bookcase (six feet high, oak) for my daughter. Somehow, while lowering it to the floor, I lost control and dropped it on my left foot.

So I've been on crutches for seven weeks. Recovery (if any) is going painfully slow. Best case scenario is that I'm on crutches for a total of six months, assuming no surgery. If the doc says it's time to give up and do surgery, that's at least another three months. I think that I just don't recover as quickly as I would have 20 years ago at a youthful 48.

Full recovery isn't guaranteed. It's possible I'll never jog again. If I want to hike in a national park, I'll have to think about the possibility of a serious re-injury. And, tennis with the grandkids, will I get back to that level?

In my life, these are pretty important things.

The point is that things happen very suddenly. Any "average" is useless. I retired at 59 partially because I didn't know how many good years I had left. I'm glad I did.

Just another thought to share. I recently started using a personal trainer in a class type program. This is my first long term experience with a trainer. I like him for his ability to concentrate on technique and customize movement to my abilities. We do not do a cross fit type approach but some aerobics are included.

While I do not know if this form of exercise will help for the long term, it feels like it will. My flexibility has improved as has my balance. It's mainly the result of his assistance with stretches and movement. A minor change in body position makes a world of difference for improving results. Doing it myself was OK but this approach seems to be worth the investment of time/money since each movement has some health payback.

Just wanted to share my thoughts on this as I think it is an effective way to feel healthier for a longer period of time. Obviously, it is not an answer for unavoidable illness or accidents.

At 66 I do find it catching up with me. While I never was heavily active in sports or athletics I did maintain a reasonable level of physical fitness, a requirement in my job anyway. A favorite hobby for almost two decades was radio control model airplanes, not physically demanding but very much mentally so. After retirement I lost interest or perhaps had just plateaued with it. After a bit over another decade I find I'm picking up an interest in R/C helicopters, an entirely different beast and no less mentally demanding, even with the modern gyros installed.

Airplanes fly by trying to glide through the air, disturbing it as little as possible. Helicopters fly by beating the air into submission. But it is something new and (to me) interesting to learn. Another hobby is photography, including printing and framing the photos.

I'm also a fan of "Younger Next Year" and try to maintain at least some physical activity despite some recent setbacks with complications from heart surgery and no sooner getting over that than having a bad fall and bruising the heck out of my leg. That will take another month to get over but I least I didn't break any bones. Then I'll be back at the gym three or four days a week, in the meantime it's walking a couple of times a day. My running days were over 25 years ago after knee surgery.

So hopefully things will stabilize and I'll just do the regular gym activities and Dr. office checkups for a while. At 40 I had what I call the "40-year-overhaul" with two hernia repairs and knee surgery all within six months so I hope this is just another one of those episodes.

So I've hired out lawn mowing and some other yard work which is fine since other than the mowing I didn't much care for it anyway. DW wants some painting done and I think at this time in life it would be wise to limit my time on ladders. While I could do it myself, is it worth risking dying or (potentially worse) a disabling injury to save a few grand? Realistically, no. So I'll hire a painter.

It is part of recognizing the gritty reality and making the appropriate adjustments. None of this shows any sign of keeping us from what we think is important, and that's the significant part.

73 yo and walk 4+ miles every day on treadmill in gym. I ran for 20 years, quit approx 10 years ago due to knees and feet. I lift light weights in the gym twice a week.
I'm agreeing with Jimmy Johnson, former Cowboy coach. His philosophy is how much QTL do you have? That's quality time left.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I'm 62 good years left? I dunno I take it one day at a time... Today's been pretty good...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Can't guess how many good years I have left. But I do take better care of myself now than I ever have. Finally, at 60 years old, I'm eating healthy almost every meal. Water has replaced beer in my garage fridge. I shoveled mulch for 8 hours today like I did 25 years ago. I'm more active and exercise more than I ever have. I'm in training for my 5th marathon, but I don't expect my time to be the same as my first marathon some 36 years ago. Still lifting weights, hiking, biking like I used to, just not as heavy, far, or fast. I weigh less now than when I graduated high school and my blood pressure, cholesterol, etc are ok. So far, so good.

66 and feeling way too mortal and depressed the last couple days. Heart monitor reported some Vfib again. Helped quite a bit when I had some blood work done today and saw some poor old fat lady painfully waddling out to be picked up by her hubby, oxygen bottle strapped to her side, nasal cannulas in place. Straightened my back, lengthened my stride - I'm a tall, thin, white, deep voiced American male with a good education, plenty of assets, a very long term honey, and a long commanding noble beak. Seems like odds are I may even have an excellent exit. A very fortunate life.

I have had 2 years fighting my left leg. I used to hike 320 metres vertical no problem but then had plantar fasciitis (with a sliced fascia) and then a broken bone in the foot from aggressive treatment, then an infected spider bite in the same leg. So I am hoping that the bike barge tour of the Moselle next month will prove I am back! Wish me luck.

If I'm lucky, I figure I have 7-8 years left. Not good years-just years. Good genes as dad lived to 90 and mom went out at 85. I'll be 80 in September and in a world of "hurt" because I can't do anyway near what I used to do. Can't even play golf anymore. That's one reason I jumped on the chance to retire at 52. Just passed my 28th anniversary of retirement. I was really not ready financially to retire but had to take the chance under the circumstances. Things worked out, have a good pension for going out so early, company paid me social security until I reached 62, got two years salary when I left. I knew eventually I would sell some income property, would get some inheritance, etc. so I didn't lose any sleep over the finances.

I've never been sorry I went out at 52 and would advise anyone with the means to retire, to do so as soon as possible. If I die tomorrow, I've had a great retirement and thank my lucky stars I was able to do what I did. DW echoes my thinking. The old saying that time flies is really true and it seems that the longer you live the faster time passes.

Since everyone's situation if different, one can not really make recommendations. Just telling you how if went for me. I'll never be sorry or regret my decision.

Best of luck to all of you folks out there and I'll say a prayer tonight for all that you make the right decision. God bless.

... I am hoping that the bike barge tour of the Moselle next month will prove I am back! Wish me luck.

I wish you luck.

Be sure to post photos when you come back from the trip, if not of yourself then of the scenery.

Not a guy but my husband is 68 and I can start to see him slowing down in terms of getting tired more easily. He had rotator cuff surgery 2 years ago and seem to recovery from that fairly well. We walk outdoors together and he used to be the one who suggested walking farther or longer than me.

He had a surgery last fall -- seemingly less serious than the rotator cuff surgery -- but it seemed to tire him more and he didn't really want to walk or do much exercise after it for a few months.

For awhile we were going to the Y since I was doing 30 minute personal training sessions twice a week (weight training)..I was 61 at the time. We would start out on the elliptical and I would do 10 to 20 minutes there and then do my weight training.

I really expected DH to build up to doing the elliptical for the full time I was there. But, he does 20 minutes then stops as he feels his knee or hip starts to bother him.

And, when we walk he doesn't like to walk as long or as far or as often as I would walk. He is still doing well overall and is in really good health. It is just that his endurance is not what it was even a few years ago.

I think he has several good years unless he develops some health problems but I expect that endurance and strength will decline slowly.

No downhill skiing for my husband even though he didn't learn how to ski until his early 50s. For me I can still skiing intermediate and beginner but I stop going further. I've found I don't like height as much now.
My husband was a windsurfer dude in his 20s,30s,40s. Not much practice since, but he did zippity zag across the shore in Hawaii last December. But he can't do a lot of cool moves any more.
I think if his build his ab muscle more he can do more stuff.

Last edited:
I'm 40. To the OP, I haven't thought about it in those terms. Figure 35-40 years left... maybe 25-30 good ones?

I've been going back and forth in whether to ER and reading these personal experiences is VERY helpful... though it does push to "retire ASAP and enjoy your health as much as possible."

I had kids late (2 and 4 now)... and I realized... wow... I do not have enough energy so I dropped 20 lbs and started daily exercise. I'm now in better shape than I've ever been in and it's pretty sustainable... but even at 40 I notice recovery is slower. Hopefully I can maintain it for as long as possible...

Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I'm pushing 62 and feel pretty good overall. When I'm at my coastal condo, I ride my bike everyday. A good 1.5 hours of steady riding. That always seems to make me feel better. When home, I play lots of golf. Perhaps not the best exercise since I ride, but better than nothing. And I walk my dog a couple of miles or more everyday.

I could certainly do more and probably should. Not long ago I put out 20+ bags of mulch and I was pretty sore the next day. I really need to do some work with my dumbbell set. Time to dig them out of the garage. As far as how many good years I have left........who knows.

I think worrying about how many good years do I have left is wrong-headed. When and if your years become other than good, you will know. Until then, laissez les bon temps rouler!

Ha
+ +

Back
Top Bottom