Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
FYI - this is a really sexist remark, I don't care how you meant it. Because a Dad is choosing to raise his kids instead of commuting to the office he's changed his gender? Maybe become emasculated? I'd love the opportunity to raise my kids myself, it didn't work that way.
You guys just cant stop quoting and reacting to the troll? He's been doing nicely on my ignore list...

Mr mom? I've been called worse and by better trolls. Hell, have you read Ho$ux blog lately? Google "terrible truth cute fuzzy bunny"

Ah, I'm all down in the dumps now after being fully dressed down by this sharp witted fellow. And I had such a nice day at the beach making sand castles and showing Gabe how to float on his back in the water...

220...221...whatever it takes...
__________________

__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,031
Mr. Mom= Michael Keaton . He's really cute & sexy so I think it was a compliment !
__________________

__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 4,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Show me a "job" doing something I enjoy doing, with no corporate BS or bureaucracy (that means NO activity and status reports!) and where I can set the hours I want to work, and maybe I would keep working forever.

Let me know when you find such a position.
My dentist enjoys his work and sets his own hours.

How about being a pharmacist (even though you may be able to set your own hours)? A pharmacist does not have to do status report, project planning, attend meetings, meet deadlines, give or receive performance reviews, work on personal development plan.
__________________
May we live in peace and harmony and be free from all human sufferings.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Mr. Mom= Michael Keaton . He's really cute & sexy so I think it was a compliment !
Its okay. Right after I was thoroughly demoralized and emasculated, UPS delivered my new 18v caulking gun. I'm now fully remasculated.

Unfortunately that means I cant put off finishing all these new windows.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #65
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vientiane by way of California
Posts: 44
they *make* power caulking guns!?!?!?
geesh, now I feel deprived living in my backwards 3rd world country...
__________________
thaidyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Oh yes and they're pretty sweet. The plug-in models are expensive and a hassle for exterior work, but this ones a Ryobi and takes the same One+ 18v batteries as my new lithium ion tools.

They're really cool for pushing a really thin bead over a long distance like all around a window. It'll push 500lbs of pressure and you dont have to squeeze it or pump anything, just pull a trigger and point. 99% of the time you dont even need to do any smoothing or cleaning up, its totally precise.

Ryobi 18v Caulk Gun - P310 at The Home Depot

I nabbed one refurbished for $29 plus shipping. Well worth it.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,764
Woah I want one of those caulking guns. And I dont even need to do any caulking!
__________________
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaidyed View Post
they *make* power caulking guns!?!?!?
geesh, now I feel deprived living in my backwards 3rd world country...
My first thought was "Wow, how far will it shoot?!?"

They're probably manufactured in an industrial park on the outskirts of Bangkok or Vientiane...
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.
Ronnieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
A pharmacist does not have to do status report, project planning, attend meetings, meet deadlines, give or receive performance reviews, work on personal development plan.

I'm working in the wrong pharmacy then....
__________________
I don't want to spend my entire life at work. I deserve more. - Want2retire aka W2R
Ronnieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:04 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
I'm pretty pleased with the ryobi stuff and the ability to use the same batteries in both the power tools and lawn equipment. I was getting a little tired of 4 battery chargers and 4 different batteries and whenever a battery died having to spend almost as much for a new battery as the tool originally cost.

The lithium ion batteries are about 80 bucks each, but you can get a set of tools (reciprocating saw, circular saw, drill, flashlight) and it comes with the charger and two batteries for $299 so you're basically buying the charger and the batteries and getting the tools for a hundred bucks. Then you can add tools cheap because none of them come with a bundled battery and charger. You can also get cheaper nicad packs and use them interchangeably.

I've always liked the dewalt tools, but they dont make any yard stuff and their 18v tool line is pretty limited.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 443
I wonder how many people love their job so much and refuse to retire when their bank have 3 million dollars or more. Most folks that i know work beyond their retirement age because of money NOT for the love of their profession.

enuff
__________________
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,037
I have nothing against work per se but I don't like to be told what to do, how to do it and when to do it... Bit of a problem, wouldn't you say? Soooo, since i don't need a job to help define who I am, ER sounds like a perfect fit for me. Would I work 10 more years just to achieve 2xFIRE or 3xFIRE and sleep better at night? No. A bit of a cushion would be nice, but 10 years is a LOOONNNNGGG time to live in shackles.
__________________
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I'm pretty pleased with the ryobi stuff and the ability to use the same batteries in both the power tools and lawn equipment. I was getting a little tired of 4 battery chargers and 4 different batteries and whenever a battery died having to spend almost as much for a new battery as the tool originally cost.
I've standardized on the Sears Craftsman 19.2V rechargeables. The individual tools are no great bargain, but when the 3-4 tool packages go on sale, they are a great deal. That's how I ended up with two drills and two circular saws. Handy--I often have a drill bit chucked in one and a scredriver bit in the other when doing a job (Circular saws: plywood blade in one, crosscut blade in the other). These were all NiCd, but now Sears is selling a Li Ion battery that works in them. Battery and charger on sale--about $90.

I'm sure a pro would scoff at them, but I've used them pretty hard and none have let me down. Drillls, circular saw, saber saw, recip saw, light, stapler/brad nailer, etc.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:20 AM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
My tile and stone guy uses the craftsman 19.2's and says they're good tools. Among the contractor dudes I work with he's considered "THE man" so thats probably a pretty good vote of confidence. Of course, the tool he uses 98% of the time is a grinder...

I was looking at some of the craftsman 18v tools and dang if they didnt look like rebranded ryobi's.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:27 AM   #75
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
2B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality_of_Apathy View Post
Hmmm I wonder how long it would take to reach FI as a hitman...

If Ed can't stand the sight of blood, do you mind if I apply?
If anything did happen to my FIL I'd be the likely suspect so I'm holding out for "natural causes". This really shouldn't be too much longer since he's already 87. Of course, if I had Alzheimer's and spent my days in utter confusion, I'd probably wish someone would have me wacked.

Ed the Gypsy is in the same biz as I am so I periodically see if he's ready to cook his brain in Houston instead of freezing the other end in Canada.

The engineering biz is currently going wild. Anyone with a degree is in demand. We're all being treated well because they can't hire enough of us and they're afraid we'll go across the street if we get pissed.
__________________
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane -- Marcus Aurelius
2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:08 AM   #76
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,020
My SIL the mechanic swears by her Craftsman tools. My friend with too much money won't touch anything but DeWalt and Snap-On. He's also convinced that the most expensive thing is always the best thing no matter what (this vacuum is better because it's a Dyson, that blender is better because it's a Kitchenaide and costs more than this Oster, etc)
__________________
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
I wonder how many people love their job so much and refuse to retire when their bank have 3 million dollars or more. Most folks that i know work beyond their retirement age because of money NOT for the love of their profession.
CNBC had an interesting "voyeuristic show" (certainly can't call it a documentary) last night. Spouse said it was interviewing various >$50M millionaires & billionaires about their beliefs and lifestyles. For example they'd show a guy (and they were all guys) with an impressive yacht but it'd turn out that he was only on it 3-4 times/year and had no idea how to drive it, let alone moor or get underway. Other guys would whine about how their kids were going to be affected by their materialistic lifestyles-- growing up in a 30,000 square-foot house. (Yes, that number is thirty thousand.) Then every one of them would plunge back into their work to make more money.

Buffett & Gates & Feeney have created a revolution. Guys used to live opulent lifestyles because they couldn't really justify hoarding the money. But now that it's cool to set up their own globe-changing charitable organizations, they're all working harder than ever to get more money for their foundation to make an even bigger impact on improving the world. "Sorry, honey, I'm selling the yacht so that I can cure malaria. We never really used it that much anyway."

It's amazing how many of the >$50M crowd professed to feel like "looooo-sers" because they weren't wizard enough to make it to $100M or even $1B. I was surprised to see the claim that there are over 20,000 people in the U.S. with net worths of over $50M.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:31 AM   #78
Moderator Emeritus
Rich_by_the_Bay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
I wonder how many people love their job so much and refuse to retire when their bank have 3 million dollars or more. Most folks that i know work beyond their retirement age because of money NOT for the love of their profession.
I agree with you. Many of my colleagues work as long as they can (sometimes a bit longer than that) and when they are open to discussing it you hear things like "it's a calling" or "I love what I do" or "I can't think of anything I'd rather do."

While I wouldn't stand in judgment, my reaction runs along the lines of "How would you know what you're missing? You've never done anything but work. Your family barely knows you. You have no outside interests, marginal social skills, and little self-image outside of your profession." There's always the exception who seems to have it all together, but they are few and far between.

If it works, more power to them. I just find it a little sad in some cases.
__________________
Rich
San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.
CitricAcid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 546
It may be a little past the discussion part of the post, as we have moved on to power tools, but I would like to add my opinoins on this.

It really boils down to a balance between, as you say, financial security against the unknowns of returns, risk and inflation versus the benefit of retiring. That is all it boils down to. It IS possible to MAYBE live off of 6% SWR, go look it up on FireCalc, it is not a 0% chance for some timespans. The idea of a 4% SWR is that it works 100% of the time, and gives more security. I would say most here shoot for a little less than 4%... or have 4% to supplement SS or DB plans. Also, many would also just value financial security from the future more than the freedom from work. This is entirely acceptable, it is just that most on an Early Retirement form are self-selected to be more in the lines of "freedom from work" than "security against the unknown"

To Frugality of Apathy, you could probably get a good COLA'd pension plan working as a hitman, or if **** hits the fan, you can just kill your creditors coming to collect your bills.
__________________
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:14 AM   #80
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
HFWR: I guess an easier way to state my question: Wouldn't we all be better off working until 65
65 is pretty darn arbitrary. Why not work until 72 or 84?

If we assume that people don't live forever, then we can assume, from a mortality table standpoint, an 80 year old would need to fund a shorter retirement if she stopped working than a 40 year old early retiree.

So, from a portfolio standpoint, putting off working as long as possible will give you better odds of not outliving your portfolio. In fact, if you know when you're going to die, you could put off working until just a year before that. Your portfolio could withstand a 100% withdrawal rate just fine!
__________________

__________________
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When to take Social Security sgeeeee FIRE and Money 244 05-27-2007 10:48 AM
Social Security Again Again??? greg Other topics 60 11-13-2006 05:06 PM
Social security? cute fuzzy bunny FIRECalc support 12 09-11-2006 01:47 PM
Social Security...or what? jake Other topics 19 10-16-2004 07:39 AM
Social Security lauraf13 FIRE and Money 17 06-12-2003 07:58 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:34 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.