Mortgage refinance - Which rate would you choose?

Which mortgage option would you choose?

• 5-year-fixed at 0.99%

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • 10-year-fixed at 1.41%

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • Doesn't matter / Can't decide

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other (please comment below)

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
Hyper ... said:
... IMO if one still has a mortgage past 50yr, one might take another look at how one manages their $. ...

Why I said IMO and there are exceptions. One is only offended if your easily offended.

No, I have very thick skin for things like this.

But if you have a point to make about this, use numbers and objective pros/cons. It is insulting to infer that anyone who doesn't agree with you on this probably doesn't know how to manage their money.

Make the point, don't attack others. That is against forum rules, BTW. It also speaks much more loudly about you and your decision, than it does about the people you are being condescending to.

-ERD50

You took all that out of a harmless post? Good that you have thick skin!

I voted "other", because I will never have another mortgage again in my life. I am one of those here who sincerely detests having a mortgage and just will NOT do it ever again.

To me, the question is like, "Would you rather drown in 10 feet of water or 20 feet of water?"

I hate debt to. I told a family member I like a shack better than debt.

Not knowing your age, IMO if one still has a mortgage past 50yr, one might take another look at how one manages their $.
I will turn 35 soon, so that won't be an issue. Also, I could sell a significant part of my retirement savings and pay off the mortgage NOW. But why would I do this in an interest rate environment like the current one? It's basically free money.

Since I'm risk-averse and hate debt, I still plan to pay it off rather quickly, but there's no way I turn down an offer like that.

We signed last week. The 10-year-fixed at 1.41% it is. I shopped around, but that's the best deal I could get. The other mortgage lenders I contacted told me to take it; they couldn't match this rate.

Back
Top Bottom