Thanks for all the thoughful replies. I've decided to just concentrate on selling the house, drop the refi idea, and hold on to the cash. The realtor is coming over tonight. He sold it to us and really knows the house, and he is plugged into the "Dr. Scene" and knows who is moving to our town.
Since I will be unemployed I may not be able to get a new loan if/when I do sell this house and that had me freaking out a little, but then I realized I can just rent and keep my money in cash. Maybe I can find a deal on a rental on a nice house that someone can't sell. I don't want to wish that on anyone however. Hope mine sells...........
The upside to all this is if we can sell our house DW is thinking she may want to live in a little town in Costa Rica where we have some friends living now. Maybe try it out for a year and see how it goes. Our friends are looking for someone to help out in the real estate office they work in, so I may even have a job waiting for me. A job where I can wear shorts and flip-flops! The town has a private school that seems to be OK so the kids will not fall behind, and they can learn Spanish. Seems to me like a good time to try something like this.