Most important financial decision in your life

At the time, I didn't know it but deciding to major in computer science at CAL set up my "Silicon" career in Bay Area.

At the time, I didn't know it, part II - marrying a women who will LBYM with me for the next 27 years and counting.

Listened to my Mom :flowers:... I studied hard in HS, won the full tuition scholarship, went to college and majored in Physics at a time (1976-80) when women were greatly outnumbered in the STEM fields. I w*rked summers as a mechanic for Sears, which gave me tremendous hand-on experience.
My neighborhood friends (both genders) were on completely different life tracks.
J*bs for my degree were pretty much non-existent in 1980 where I was living, so I took some programming courses at my own expense and went forward from there. Knowing the science and having the computer skills was a rare combination at the time.

Final position...GS-13 Electronics Engineer for the fed govt, with 2 US patents.

And I saved all along the way...:D

Listened to my Mom :flowers:... I studied hard in HS, won the full tuition scholarship, went to college and majored in Physics at a time (1976-80) when women were greatly outnumbered in the STEM fields. I w*rked summers as a mechanic for Sears, which gave me tremendous hand-on experience.
My neighborhood friends (both genders) were on completely different life tracks.
J*bs for my degree were pretty much non-existent in 1980 where I was living, so I took some programming courses at my own expense and went forward from there. Knowing the science and having the computer skills was a rare combination at the time.

Final position...GS-13 Electronics Engineer for the fed govt, with 2 US patents.

And I saved all along the way...:D

You are my heroine! As a teen in the 70s in Ireland I was discouraged from pursuing a career in Engineering because of macho culture. As a result I chose medicine, which was more socially acceptable for girls. But I still wonder what might have been.

Rather than a single financial decision being the most important, I'd say that my ability to delay gratification has been the most important factor in being able to RE.

You are my heroine! As a teen in the 70s in Ireland I was discouraged from pursuing a career in Engineering because of macho culture. As a result I chose medicine, which was more socially acceptable for girls. But I still wonder what might have been.

Not that medicine is anything to sneeze at. :)

Deciding to move from Europe to the US was the best financial decision in my case.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Going to medical school at age 27-28 after years of being a starving artist.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom