Mr. Money Mustache Divorce Blog Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Con artists exist....I'm convinced some men fall for such women because the sincere ladies aren't "exciting" enough. That is one excuse I've read for women falling for poser men.

I've read discussions of women who request pregnancy tests from friends so that they can fool boyfriends into believing they are pregnant.

While its disgusting what is taking place in the world, I have accepted the reality of the situation.

I read MMM blog article about his divorce before I saw this thread and while I find his views extreme (no, I'm not going to hypermill my car) he has helped people see the possibilities when you get off the consumerist treadmill. I also give major respect to a man that has the bully pulpit but decides not to trash his Ex. I've learned that I can turn Machiavellian given the right circumstances. Hopefully appealing to the better angels of my nature not to.

Con artists exist....I'm convinced some men fall for such women because the sincere ladies aren't "exciting" enough. That is one excuse I've read for women falling for poser men.

I guess it works both ways...some women fall for the "bad boys" because many sincere men are not exciting enough?

See there Mr Tightwad, all you needed was a woman to explain (womansplain if you will) that it's your fault, and doggone it, you just picked the wrong one. Never mind stats and facts and your own life experience you just needed a woman to explain why your're wrong. Now here's what you do, watch a couple of Hallmark movies and get out there and try again.

I'll be honest, I'm sensing a Jedi mind trick.

I guess it works both ways...some women fall for the "bad boys" because many sincere men are not exciting enough?

I recall, in Toronto in the early 1970s, a con man who'd hit the airport area hotel bars and would tell women that his private jet was undergoing service and that he was at loose ends.....with, of course, no cash.

An unprepossessing fellow, he conned a fair number of them out of (sometimes substantial amounts) money.

When caught, and asked by a reporter why so many fell for his BS, he replied "Because they want to believe".

Yes, you just restated part of my post. Most everything works both ways, I have found. Con artists and their victims undoubtedly come in every gender there is.
I guess it works both yes, youways...some women fall for the "bad boys" because many sincere men are not exciting enough?

Women file for divorce at a rate of 2.3 to 1 compared to men.

Financial incentive is a powerful thing.

From what I have read, women more often end up with a lower standard of living than men do after a divorce. I came very close to having to pay my ex alimony even though he refused to get a job and I brought more assets to the marriage. If women file for divorce more often, you don't know that its out of greed. Lets not generalize or be sexist please. There lots of worthless specimens of both sexes.

Last edited:
I'm a widowed single parent of teens. Reading the stories in this thread and talking with divorced friends and acquaintances, I'm convinced it's much easier when they die on you. No "smiley" or "winky" on that, either.

Yet, I'm jumping in again, because I know I'm better off, and a better person, when I'm committed to someone and living with them every day. Will avail myself of the legal protections to minimize the downside risk.

It's still a risk, and I'm willing to take it for the benefits :)

Assignment of motive. Why would he assume that women filing for divorce is more often financially motivated than when men do it? Why would he assume that money is a motive at all? From what I've heard, women- especially with kids, end up worse off. I filed for divorce because my husband was lazy and undependable. Why didn't he assume women filed for divorce for the same reason I did?

I saw a quote earlier in the thread, that I can't find, that supposed that the reason women file first is because men are too lazy (smiley face emoji notwithstanding). That seems a little sexist but I didn't call the foul.

I'm starting to see the problem. Lazy men. Those bastages just won't do what they're told.

Last edited:
MATCH.COM for MMM

Recently divorced extremely frugal FIRE movement cult leader male seeking extremely frugal FIRE female. For a life of love and extreme frugality.

Income: 25k to 30k per year.

Car: no
Bicycle:yes

My match must be willing to sign a prenup. It is a long story.

MATCH.COM for MMM

Recently divorced extremely frugal FIRE movement cult leader male seeking extremely frugal FIRE female. For a life of love and extreme frugality.

Income: 25k to 30k per year.

Car: no
Bicycle:yes

My match must be willing to sign a prenup. It is a long story.

First date Mickey D's . Go ahead and put cheese on it. I'm a baller.

I feel attacked. I once picked up a deer I hit and took it home.(I thought it only fair as he dented my truck) Also have picked poke by the roadside.

I picked a goose off the side of the road one the way back from picking up DD at middle school. Also regularly pick a bunch of road/trailside stuff (lambsquarters, oxeye daisies, violets, chokecherries, wild apples, etc.). Good thing I am happily married.

Been reading this thread? Don't get cocky.:LOL:

At least so far, I am willing to bend pretty far and so is she. Compromise and a willingness to grow together has been successful for quite a while.

I feel attacked. I once picked up a deer I hit and took it home.(I thought it only fair as he dented my truck) Also have picked poke salad by the roadside.

hahaha... I regularly drove a road in winter to go to work, and when coming home I saw a dead deer that had not been there in the morning.
Since the temp was low and snow on the ground, I thought about stopping and hanging it in the garage.
Problem was of course I'd have no idea what to do with it, since I never hunted deer.
Turns out it's illegal to do that, to discourage folks from hunting with their truck and crash bars ( I guess ).

I'm a widowed single parent of teens. Reading the stories in this thread and talking with divorced friends and acquaintances, I'm convinced it's much easier when they die on you. No "smiley" or "winky" on that, either.

Yet, I'm jumping in again, because I know I'm better off, and a better person, when I'm committed to someone and living with them every day. Will avail myself of the legal protections to minimize the downside risk.

It's still a risk, and I'm willing to take it for the benefits :)

Just be sure to pick one from a high quality of family, it helps tilt the odds in your favor (IMHO). Something to do with the apple falling close to the tree.

hahaha... I regularly drove a road in winter to go to work, and when coming home I saw a dead deer that had not been there in the morning.
Since the temp was low and snow on the ground, I thought about stopping and hanging it in the garage.
Problem was of course I'd have no idea what to do with it, since I never hunted deer.
Turns out it's illegal to do that, to discourage folks from hunting with their truck and crash bars ( I guess ).

Perfectly legal here. They ask that you drag whatever you do not take away from the road and call them to get a roadkill tag when you get home with it. With the goose, as soon as they found out I had the license/stamps to hunt waterfowl anyway, they told me it was no worries.

From what I have read, women more often end up with a lower standard of living than men do after a divorce. I came very close to having to pay my ex alimony even though he refused to get a job and I brought more assets to the marriage. If women file for divorce more often, you don't know that its out of greed. Lets not generalize or be sexist please. There lots of worthless specimens of both sexes.

So to summarize, you (apparently) had a job and he didn't, and you brought more assets to the marriage. Yet you didn't have to pay alimony.

It must be nice to have family court and the divorce process treat you so well.

I'm sure the men who have posted in this thread wish they could be so lucky.

You have the best post in this thread. It illustrates how the court treats men vs. how women are treated. I hope everyone is paying attention.

Will you admit you were treated better than aja, dvalley, and all the others?

I’m surprised no one has mentioned this, but 40-50% of births are Medicaid as well. And it seems I know far more divorced or never married women struggling to raise kids with zero support from the father than I do women whose goal it is to fleece a man for money. I honestly feel so sorry for men with this attitude. Quote all the stats you want, it’s sad to have such a cynical view on humanity and relationships. I have to wonder, when I hear the stories, what on earth type of women you’re* picking. There are loads of horrible men out there too, I hear. I guess I’m lucky enough not to have run into too many of them.

Eta, that was meant to be a royal ‘you’re’ and not you specifically.

You mention I quote stats. Accurate and very telling stats.

You mention it's "sad" and you "feel" sorry.

I think I got it. Nothing else needed to say about that.

On another note, about the royal part. I know you're not talking to me, as I wasn't married, divorced, or have paid a fortune to a woman. But as far as what type of women men are picking, its just a sampling of women in the US in general.

You mentioned the word relationships. I'm fine with relationships. Just never get married, if you're a male.

Lastly, what you refer to as a cynical view, is what I call being aware of reality. When a man gets married, he enters a contract, where he no longer controls his future with a 100% guarantee. At any time, a wife can file, and a judge with a black robe will decree what amount he must pay and for how long. And if he doesn't comply? Incarceration.

Hopefully this explains to you why men are refusing to marry, as opposed to a couple generations ago, when it made sense to marry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom