Join Early Retirement Today

Need Help with Credit Card Negotiation Hook
Old 04-17-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Need Help with Credit Card Negotiation Hook

My step daughter is trying to help a friend get out of about $25K of credit card debt. She is asking me for advice re a company that supposedly renegotiates the debt for a fee. I know there is no free lunch in this world, but I don't have enough experience with this kind of business to show her where the hooks are.

Has anyone out there dealt with this topic that can give me a speedy education?

This is the company in question:
Debt Negotiation & Settlement - What We Offer Clear Debt Solution

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

My cousins wife ran up a credit card for 30k without him knowing about it. He got a lawyer and tried to get it reduced. After lawyers fees and paying so much on the dollar he did not come out ahead. What would be the defense used to have the balance reduced? Could file bankruptcy, but a debt is a debt..

Old 04-17-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Consumer Reports:

"A common ploy: taking your money with the promise of paying off bills, then simply pocketing the cash."

"You can check credentials at The Association of Independent Consumer Credit Counseling Agencies (www.aiccca.org) and the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (www.nfcc.org), whose members are supposed to adhere to certain standards. Also ask your state attorney general's office or local Better Business Bureau about complaints."
Old 04-17-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

There seems to be a number of these "non profit" outfits in our town competing for the opportunity to bail out any CC debtor that steps up to the plate. I am always skeptical about organizations that propose to help those who have gotten themselves in a financial mess. I guess I think that there must be some other hook that they are fishing on and they think that if these folks are so undisciplined as to get into this mess, that we can earn a little bit more money off of their ignorance.

Maybe I have seen too many scams in my day to be objective on the subject.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #5

I would suggest looking at creditboards....there is info there....but I remember reading that these outfits look bad on your credit report and some dont make their payments to the cc's on time, etc.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Follow up

Thanks for the quick responses. I think I have convinced her that it is a poor idea to try to get someone else to renegotiate credit card debt - just one more vulture on the carcass.

It is really stunning how fast credit card debt increases at these 25% rates. I'm generally not sympathetic to those consumed by CC debt, but it is amazing how quickly the interest and fees overwhelm the original debt.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:21 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

You can generally call up and negotiate directly with the credit card companies. Since it is unsecured debt, they are happy to take pennies on the dollar a lot of times. It almost makes me upset that I save as well as I do, when I could have lived extravagantly only to dump the debt later.

Just make sure to not give them a bank account number unless it is an account with a small amount of money. They will sometimes offer to take a specific amount from a direct transfer, then wipe out your account. Also, do not take money out of a retirement account to pay this debt, as they are not able to take money from retirement accounts even if they file a lawsuit against you!

Those debt negotiation companies are all scams. Stay far far away!
Old 04-18-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Olav - good tips.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #9

If you want her to take the do it yourself approach:

0. Don't add anything to the debt. Not a penny.
1. Call all debtors and ask for lower rates. Be polite but firm.
2. If the differences between interest rates are significant, try to transfer as much debt from high interest rates to low interest rates. When doing this, consider any balance transfer fees.
3. Pay the minimums on every card except the one with the highest rate. Pay as much as possible to that card.
4. Minimize living expenses and send extra to the card with the highest rate.
5. Lather, rinse, repeat.

What her friend will likely find is that as she pays down and pays off the debts, her existing credit cards will end up trying to woo her back with better offers, which will just accelerate the process.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

take a look here and let us know what you think
Real Debt Help - Get out of debt with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover Plan.
Baby Steps
Financial Peace University