New Quarter, New Record

That's because "value averaging" is not, in fact, a good strategy. It sounds good, but when you actually sit down and look at it work through the numbers, it isn't.

Google "problems with value averaging"

I respectfully disagree. I have used it for over 20 years with good results.

Just pinch me. Nestegg and NW are ~13-14% more than when I retired at the end of 2011. [-]Whee!![/-]

It doesn't count if it is struckthrough, right?
We're only up 7.5% (after withdrawals), though still at a lifetime high. What are your FA rates? :LOL:

Just pinch me. Nestegg and NW are ~13-14% more than when I retired at the end of 2011. [-]Whee!![/-]

Striking through is like a dagger through. Double jinx.

Just make sure you have stops put in and advance them up as the market rises.

Stops have hurt a lot of people. It can be an almost guaranteed sell low, and buy when? Some people on this forum experienced some significant pain during the 'flash crash'.

I have yet to find a mutual fund that uses this technique to deliver superior results.

-ERD50

Fortunately the power of whee can be invoked solely by W(hee)2R who wisely remains wheeless so far :).

Stops have hurt a lot of people. It can be an almost guaranteed sell low, and buy when? Some people on this forum experienced some significant pain during the 'flash crash'.

I have yet to find a mutual fund that uses this technique to deliver superior results.

-ERD50

That reminds me of the first and only! time I've used a stop loss. Back in 71 or so as a sophisticated sophomore I used some of my hard earned burger joint money to buy some shares of some stock or another. Having read about investing and being very well informed about such things I put in a stop loss at about 10% below what I bought it for. Much to my surprise, the paper next day reported a sale of just one lot, at precisely my stop loss point. Thus I learned there be sharks out there, ready to pounce as needed to deliver some much needed education...

I'm waiting for a crash so I can put more in, but it isn't happening! I'm having a hard time getting rid of my cash in the market with that strategy.

I had to retire early (actually, I saw the iceburg coming and bailed, but the Titanic finally sank!) we mostly got out because our priority then (EOY 2011) was preserving our NE. Our IRAs have remained in VG STAR, so some of our investments have ridden up this market. At least we've got that going for us, which is nice.

Would also like to get back in though, and am considering VCA from bonds and cash into equity funds. But if there is a significant pullback (~5% would be nice), think we'll plow back in, keeping about a 50/50 split.

Back
Top Bottom