Join Early Retirement Today

Re: new retire early home page article
Old 01-05-2005, 06:05 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That is a nice fish CT. But I'm kind of offended that nobody made polite enquiry about my fish.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2005, 06:12 PM   #42

Quote:
.o................................................ .............
..o..........+.................................... ........
.............++.............................+..... ..........
.o......+++++........................++........... ...
....+++O+\++++...............+++...............
.+++++++)+++++++++++++................
....+++++/++++...............+++...............
...........++++........................++......... .....
...............................................+.. .............
.................................................. ..............

Actually I was quite impressed with the artwork, but I was trying to get my fish posted as quick as possible, and neglected to comment on the artistic genius, just so the forum would not go into melt down
Old 01-06-2005, 03:26 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was quite impressed with the artwork

Me too. It wasn't the hint of concern over becoming someone's dinner that you embedded in the otherwise joyful fish visage that bowled me over. I have come to expect that sort of attention to detail from you based on some earlier efforts with which you have graced this forum. What really got me was the amazing speed with which this particular work was produced. I am a journalist by trade, so I respect the ability to work under deadline pressure. I said it before and I'll say it again--you are made of the right stuff, SalaryGuru.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:59 AM   #44

Quote:
That is a nice fish CT. *But I'm kind of offended that nobody made polite enquiry about my fish. *
So, where did you catch it and what did you do with it?
Old 01-06-2005, 12:48 PM   #45

Don't worry about my fish. Like CT, I practice catch and release. He (or she) is still out there for any one of you to catch again.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:01 PM   #46

Like CT, I practice catch and release.

A happy ending to a high-tension thread!
Old 01-08-2005, 08:19 AM   #47
Dryer sheet wannabe

From *****:

I don't think raddr has done a good job challenging JWR1945's findings on switching strategies. I think he has done a poor job. He has said that he does not read the work that JWR1945 posts at the SWR Research Group board. That means that he is uninformed on many of the details of how the research was conducted. And he did not post his "debunking" at the board at which the research appeared. That's lame.

That's not true. I have looked at much of the "research" on that board including the misleading PE switching studies that I effectively debunked in the thread referenced above. I have seen a lot of datamining and misapplication of statistics but not much competent research at the SWR board. It is little wonder that so few people pay much attention to it.

-raddr
Old 01-08-2005, 09:46 AM   #48

That's not true. *I have looked at much of the "research" on that board

All that I am going by are your own statements, raddr. You have said on numerous occasions that you rarely look at the SWR Research Group board. JWR1945 has been studying the SWR question on a full-time basis for close to three years now. I think it is fair to say that, if you have read little of his work, you have missed out on a lot of his findings. If you want to truly understand his work, you are going to need to take a closer look at it. If you want to effectively "debunk" his findings, you are going to need to do the preparatory work necessary for you to be able to engage in a back-and-forth exchange with him.

JWR1945 has responsed to hundreds and hundreds of questions during the time he has been posting at the SWR board. I am certain that, if you have questions, he will respond to yours. JWR has never banned any other poster from the SWR board. You have banned two posters from your board before they ever put up their first post there. JWR1945 has opened his research to public scrutiny. You have not done the same.

It is little wonder that so few people pay much attention to it.

There was an earlier thread at this forum in which intercst supplied a link to a page at his website where the data supporting JWR1945's findings can be downloaded by any interested party. That thread went up months ago. No community member in the time since has reported on any flaws in his findings. There are obviosuly a good number who would be happy to do so if any could be found. JWR1945 has done his work out in the open and it has passed every test so far.

There are a number of people at this forum and elsewhere who have expressed their gratitude for the work that JWR1945 has done for this community. I am confident that he will be recognized for many years to come as a hero to the community of people looking for solid information on how to win financial freedom early in life. He is incredibly smart. He works incredibly hard. And he is incredibly gracious in all of his comments to fellow community members.

I have stated many times that I rank you as my third favorite poster of all time (JWR1945 is first and Wanderer is second). I stand by that assessment. I stated in a post above that your smears of JWR1945 and his work are shameful. I stand by that assessment too.

I have a question for you, raddr. I noted earlier in this thread that your own SWR research reveals grave flaws in the REHP study. You put up scores of research-based posts critical of the REHP study in earlier days. Do you stand by those earlier posts? Do you stand by your earlier assessment of the REHP study, that it is a "bogus" piece of research? If not, why not?
Old 01-08-2005, 11:03 AM   #49
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
I have a question for you, raddr. I noted earlier in this thread that your own SWR research reveals grave flaws in the REHP study. You put up scores of research-based posts critical of the REHP study in earlier days. Do you stand by those earlier posts? Do you stand by your earlier assessment of the REHP study, that it is a "bogus" piece of research? If not, why not?
No, his research is not bogus but I do believe that it suffers from some flaws, not the least of which is that there wasn't an investable index, much less a low cost way to invest, during about 100 of the 130 years of the study. His study, like many others, assumes an unrealistically low expense ratio during those years. But at least he doesn't misapply statistics and discard inconvenient time periods like I see being routinely done on the SWR "Research" board.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:45 AM   #50

No, his research is not bogus but I do believe that it suffers from some flaws

Thanks very much for your response, raddr.

But at least he doesn't misapply statistics and discard inconvenient time periods like I see being routinely done on the SWR "Research" board.

I understand that you don't agree with JWR1945's findings. That is of course your right. I would like to see you open your board (raddr-pages.com) to input from both JWR1945 and me so that your readers could hear the other side of the story. I would also very much like to see you provide your input to the SWR Research Group (where I am the moderator). I don't want people to take JWR1945's findings on faith. I would like to see other Numbers Guys challenge it, just as I (a non-Numbers Guy) have challenged the REHP study. But I really think we all would enjoy more of a learning experience if the challenges raised were put forward as part of a reasoned back-and-forth exchange between JWR1945 and his critics.

The SWR Research Group board is a community resource. Anyone may participate. No one is required to participate, of course. But any member of any of the various FIRE/Retire Early posting communities will receive a warm welcome there. UncleMick put up a fine post there yesterday where he commented on how there are "acres of diamonds" to be discovered in mining the historical data. There are some things that UncleMick and me agree on and there are some things on which we do not. But we are soul mates on that one. On the most important question, his arrow hits the target right in the center of the red.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:04 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
No, his research is not bogus but I do believe that it suffers from some flaws

Thanks very much for your response, raddr.

But at least he doesn't misapply statistics and discard inconvenient time periods like I see being routinely done on the SWR "Research" board.

I understand that you don't agree with JWR1945's findings. That is of course your right. I would like to see you open your board (raddr-pages.com) to input from both JWR1945 and me so that your readers could hear the other side of the story. I would also very much like to see you provide your input to the SWR Research Group (where I am the moderator). I don't want people to take JWR1945's findings on faith. I would like to see other Numbers Guys challenge it, just as I (a non-Numbers Guy) have challenged the REHP study. But I really think we all would enjoy more of a learning experience if the challenges raised were put forward as part of a reasoned back-and-forth exchange between JWR1945 and his critics.

The SWR Research Group board is a community resource. Anyone may participate. No one is required to participate, of course. But any member of any of the various FIRE/Retire Early posting communities will receive a warm welcome there. UncleMick put up a fine post there yesterday where he commented on how there are "acres of diamonds" to be discovered in mining the historical data. There are some things that UncleMick and me agree on and there are some things on which we do not. But we are soul mates on that one. On the most important question, his arrow hits the target right in the center of the red.
Haven't the members of the "various FIRE/Retire Early posting communities" already voiced their opinion on the quality of the content of the SWR Research Group by their continued absence?

It's not like anyone doesn't know where to find it. <LOL>

intercst
Old 01-12-2005, 07:27 AM   #52

Haven't the members of the "various FIRE/Retire Early posting communities" already voiced their opinion on the quality of the content of the SWR Research Group by their continued absence?

Very few participate at the SWR board today, that's fair to say. If there are any in this community interested in giving the board a look (we are at NoFeeBoards.com), or in putting forward a question or comment on the work being done there, I would be most grateful.

I don't at all agree with the suggestion being put forward here that the lack of community participation is some sort of comment on the quality of JWR1945's research. JWR1945 has a long history in the community and his work has generated many expressions of community gratitude everywhere he has posted it. I'm confident that participation at the SWR board will increase in days to come and that JWR1945 will receive the recognition that he deserves for his many fine contributions to our learning experience.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:08 PM   #53

Quote:
If there are any in this community interested in giving the board a look (we are at NoFeeBoards.com), or in putting forward a question or comment on the work being done there, I would be most grateful.
Not interested, but I know where it is if I ever get curious.

Quote:
I don't at all agree with the suggestion being put forward here that the lack of community participation is some sort of comment on the quality of JWR1945's research.
Which begs the question: to what do you attribute the lack of community participation?
Old 01-12-2005, 12:25 PM   #54

To what do you attribute the lack of community participation?

That's a perfectly reasonable question, BigMoneyJim. But my sense of things is that it is better if I don't go into it in any depth at this forum. If you or anyone else is sufficiently curious to post the question at the SWR board, I will respond there.

The short version is that lots of people showed lots of interest in exploring the realities of SWRs at the NFB site. But there were also lots of complications that made effective communication difficult. In time I believe that people will once again feel comfortable asking questions and making comments and so forth. When that happens, we have a large backlog of great research to discuss and explore.

We are not waiting around for people to show up before moving ahead on the work that needs to be done. But the quality of the work product would be a lot higher if a greater number of viewpoints were being voiced. JWR1945 is the best. But no one person knows it all. He needs feedback and he needs questions and he needs challengess that force him to dig deep to come up with good answers. He is the most knowledgeable Numbers Guy in the community, in my estimation. We should all be grateful for having access to his expertise and we all should want to do what we can to see that the community is able to tap into that expertise to the greatest extent possible.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:43 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well I've given him a few to work and he done good.

Or the flip side JWR's numbers bucked me up on 'hobby stocks'.

I now have a 'high class' DRIP dividend strategy - heh,heh,heh.

Being blockheaded - I would have continued regardless -
but the numbers came in showing some merit to the method.

And due to all the screaming and yelling - I became interested in all three: here, Raddr's and NFB - with good stuff popping up to cogitate - all three places.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:40 AM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Securities and Exchange Commision. The govt. referee's for the stock market.