Join Early Retirement Today

New Tax Law and Charitable Giving
Old 12-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New Tax Law and Charitable Giving

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/18/how-...aboolainternal

Article states almost half of charitable givers who currently get a tax deduction will lose their deduction with the new tax law. Fears of charities that giving may decline are mentioned, as is the strategy of "bunching & skipping" annual donations.

For givers over 70 1/2 who take RMDs from their IRAs, the charitable option becomes even more attractive. That may appeal to me down the road as my DAF, funded during my high income years, becomes exhausted.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2018, 09:14 PM   #2

Two things: 1) With lower tax rates, the income deductions - they aren't tax deductions - aren't worth as much, and 2) The income deductions lost for those folks are covered by higher standard income deduction; i.e., in many cases the standard income deduction is so large that they get a bigger total deduction if gifting the same amounts than they would have under that old law.

Really, are people gifting because they value the charity or because the want an income deduction?

gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:22 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Really, are people gifting because they value the charity or because the want an income deduction?
I think it's a bit of both.
Greg V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
For givers over 70 1/2 who take RMDs from their IRAs, the charitable option becomes even more attractive. That may appeal to me down the road as my DAF, funded during my high income years, becomes exhausted.
Absolutely!I do a lot of giving from my IRA, as that part of the RMD is not taxed. QCD's to me are an absolute necessity.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Absolutely!I do a lot of giving from my IRA, as that part of the RMD is not taxed. QCD's to me are an absolute necessity.

+1 QCDs are the best thing for charities to come along for many years.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:28 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg V View Post
I think it's a bit of both.
+2. Some people will contribute less due to the change in standard deductions, whether it’s significant or not is TBD.

Some recent discussion here 2018 Charitable Contributions.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:56 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

We did reduce ours as we will no longer be able to itemize.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:01 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
... Really, are people gifting because they value the charity or because the want an income deduction?
I think most people gift primarily to support the cause, and take the deduction as an extra benefit for themselves.

Making a donation with a *primary* goal of benefiting from the tax savings makes no sense mathematically.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post

Article states almost half of charitable givers who currently get a tax deduction will lose their deduction with the new tax law. Fears of charities that giving may decline are mentioned, as is the strategy of "bunching & skipping" annual donations.

From the article:
Quote:
Using a qualified charitable distribution lets you reduce your taxable income by the amount donated, up to 50 percent of your adjusted gross income, according to the National Association of Enrolled Agents.
I have never heard this about a QCD before. The way I read this statement, if you have a gross income of 50K, the most you can give in the form of a QCD and have it not not be taxed is 25K. I thought the only restriction was up to 100k could be given in a year and would count as not taxable.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

We will give the same, maybe a bit more. The charities that we support are important to us. I urge my kids to donate rather than buy me gifts.
Most folks do not realize how tax deductions work, the same folks who never figured out the “ progressive” part.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:37 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

My charities will have received less in 2018 because I doubled up in 2017 - effectively pre-giving for 2018. I'm planning on giving earlier in 2019 to help smooth their revenues a bit, not that in the large scheme that my gifts are any recognizable percentage to any charity.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFool View Post
My charities will have received less in 2018 because I doubled up in 2017 - effectively pre-giving for 2018. I'm planning on giving earlier in 2019 to help smooth their revenues a bit, not that in the large scheme that my gifts are any recognizable percentage to any charity.
This is where a Donor Advised Fund helps. You can bunch your giving while evening out the grants.

This is our last year working so we gave heavily to our DAF. We have charitable giving covered for the next four years. Good thing too since it looks like we may be running into sequence of return issues in our new retirement.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am giving less this year because I doubled up on charitable giving last year last year. I think charitable giving will be down this year--some because many people like me doubled up last year and some because people will not be itemizing. I am on the Board of a charity and it looks like for that charity giving of that organization will definitely be down this year. That charity is working hard to tap the QCDs but many of their donors are not yet old enough to do QCDs. DH has a couple more years before he can do the QCD (and I have 3 more years) so we are telling some charities that we are going to limit our giving until we can do the QCDs and then we will up our charitable giving to make it up. Right now charitable giving presents a cash flow problem for us since most of our remaining assets are in traditional IRAs.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #14

Sad that helping an organization would come down to whether you could deduct it or not. I'm a steady giver myself and have not adjusted anything
Old 12-24-2018, 09:44 AM   #15

We give regardless of tax deductions.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:53 AM   #16

We'll give too, short of them making any charitable giving an actual penalty by law. In the meantime, since there is still a deduction after the standard number, we'll take advantage of it through bunching.

The fact is this will affect some people. Just as some people insist the mortgage deduction is the only reason they'd buy a house.

One more example, which is most disturbing. Because of minimums and out of pockets for medical care, I've seen people not go to the doctor even when they suspected something serious, simply because "they'd have to pay" for that $150 doctor visit. This happened a lot after many plans were changed from complete pay or small co-pay to a higher deductible model. Meanwhile, they drive to their Lexus dealer and fork over $1000 for simple maintenance. It is the strange way humans act.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
Sad that helping an organization would come down to whether you could deduct it or not. I'm a steady giver myself and have not adjusted anything
Tax laws affect spending, giving, investing, earnings & where people choose to live. Being oblivious gets you killed.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:12 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Are some people giving less than normal because of the loss of the tax deduction, or were they giving more than normal before because of the tax deduction?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Tax laws affect spending, giving, investing, earnings & where people choose to live. Being oblivious gets you killed.

Just playing Devil's advocate, there are also a lot of other reasons that are not tax related, such as personal, family, familiarity, preference; for people to use in their decisions. I do agree that tax laws can have an effect for those that are aware of the ways taxes affect. I still do charitable, although with new tax laws and also now being retired, there will be no Sch A deductions this year. Just taking the std deduction, for almost the first time since started my working career.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:28 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Are some people giving less than normal because of the loss of the tax deduction, or were they giving more than normal before because of the tax deduction?
For me it's the latter. I was due to make another clothing donation because, as I described in that "purge" thread, my closets were getting too stuffed. I made it late last year while I could still get some value from the donation via itemized deduction, something I don't expect to take again anytime soon.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote