Musings on Charitable Giving and Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptTom

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Like much of the US, we've just come through some bad weather. Some of us have had long power outages, others have had travel disruptions, and in some cases lives have been at risk or even lost.

But as we wind up the year and think about those less fortunate, my thoughts keep coming back to the people of Ukraine. They're facing the same Winter that many of us in the Northern US are, while a larger neighbor is doing their best to bomb them back to the Stone Age.

I just can't imagine it. My thoughts and prayers are with them. As I consider my charitable giving this week, I am leaning toward trying to do something to help ease their suffering. And not just a routine tax-time donation. I won't feel right unless it's a real sacrifice.

I won't mention the specific charity, because I think we each need to do our own diligence, and give in accordance with our own values. No doubt there are plenty of scams out there, but there are also legitimate organizations doing good work.

I give locally or to individuals that need it as most of the big organizations tend to have too many overhead costs.

Giving is so very personal and we tend to give directly to organizations where we see the money deployed. We fund an annual scholarship and we receive a letter directly from the student which is always touching. My wife is also involved with giving a wedding away to a couple in need. We meet the recipients and attend the wedding.

When the war in Ukraine started we gave to a local organization that was collecting funds to send to Ukraine. It felt like a very small drop on an enormous fire.

Our monthly giving is to a food pantry out of a neighborhood church at the end of our street. They are hooked up with a regional food bank but still need to purchase some things. They do a fantastic job and we can see what they do every Monday when the cars line up on the side streets.

I've been working on being a more generous person. Last year we doubled our cash gifts to our kids and grandkids for birthdays, anniversaries and holidays. Inflation hit but so did a nice SS COLA, so I think we will continue this next year.

Unfortunately we have had to delete posts and close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom