Join Early Retirement Today

Re: NEWSFLASH: Bernstein slams early retirement!!!
Old 09-26-2005, 08:56 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
good one, lex. Not to mention being a slave to the government (for taxes).
Not necessarilly The nonproductive "having class" referred to above love to brag about/lament how they pay more taxes than the other 99.99 % of society ie the productive part, but of course they are not slaves in any way.

Not slaves the way the productive members of society who do more work, are paid far less, pay far less in taxes and benefit far far far less from government are.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2005, 09:28 AM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

Confession:

Before this august tribunal and Commissar, I hereby confess my counter revolutionary atrocities againt the Peaceful Government of the American Proletariot and our Revolutionary Hero, General Electric, who so correctly showed all of us corporate citizens how to produce or be outsourced into Siberia:* I confess to have read Smith, Marx, Aquinas, Trotsky, Engles, Machiavelli, Sun Tzu, De' Toqueville, Hamilton, and countless others who are forbidden influences in this Peace loving state who promoted discordant thought and raged against the machine of their time.* I admit to have become a part of the revolutionary brotherhood of the freed worker class.* Long Live the Revolution!* *

Old 09-26-2005, 09:37 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEX
Confession:

Before this august tribunal and Commissar, I hereby confess my counter revolutionary atrocities againt the Peaceful Government of the American Proletariot and our Revolutionary Hero, General Electric, who so correctly showed all of us corporate citizens how to produce or be outsourced into Siberia:* I confess to have read Smith, Marx, Aquinas, Trotsky, Engles, Machiavelli, Sun Tzu, De' Toqueville, Hamilton, and countless others who are forbidden influences in this Peace loving state who promoted discordant thought and raged against the machine of their time.* I admit to have become a part of the revolutionary brotherhood of the freed worker class.* Long Live the Revolution!* *
A little revolution can be a good thing, and you know how I feel about the
government. I still believe in capitalism though.

JG
Old 09-26-2005, 09:37 AM   #144

Quote:
The point is that "working stiffs" will continue to be taxed more (s.s. and medicare, gas tax on gas driving to work, etc.) than the retired with decreased taxes on investment (cut in dividend and capital gains taxes, roths, 401ks, etc). Until they decide on a "wealth tax". SO work slaves are also slaves to the government.
I'll assume this was diected at me.

Answer: I never said they weren't
Old 09-26-2005, 09:56 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew894
...with government and corporations working hand-in-hand, labor resources are plentiful and astute capitalists have taken most of the benefit, leaving only scraps for any remaining "entrepreneurs."
Sometimes even the scraps are mighty tasty.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:06 AM   #146

Quote:
Sometimes even the scraps are mighty tasty.
Right. Good boy. That's exactly how they want you to think and "feel" about it. And besides, why would anybody really ever need more than tasty scraps anyway?
Old 09-26-2005, 10:20 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz
Right. Good boy. That's exactly how they want you to think and "feel" about it.* And besides, why would anybody really ever need more than tasty scraps anyway?
razztazz......are you a"commie" I believe the "scraps" remark
was in reference to individual (smaller) entreprenuers who take what the
"big corps" won't bother with and make a fortune (on scraps).
I made a lot of money doing this and know others who got very rich.
Think you misinterpreted this entirely.

JG
Old 09-26-2005, 10:31 AM   #148

Quote:
razztazz......are you a"commie" I believe the "scraps" remark was in reference to individual (smaller) entreprenuers who take what the "big corps" won't bother with and make a fortune (on scraps). I made a lot of money doing this and know others who got very rich. Think you misinterpreted this entirely.JG
Actually, I am what is fashionable today to call a "Hee-ro" I get it all the time. For 20+ yrs I fought and eventually won The Cold War. USAF. And I have a street value of about a million bucks. No ill-fitting black suit like Kruchev wore, altho I do dress casual in the extreme these days.

Everything I post is based on facts of human history, real easy observations, and 10,000 yrs of human economic interaction much of it distilled by Mr Smith himself.

If you did what you say you did then they made more money off of you than you made off of you. You just perfectly personified my previous posting. But most of what you post seems to indicate that you were a failed, marginal, always one step from bankruptcy "business man" who, even with all your business knowledge, never knew how to handle or money. Some businessman. So your true knowledge of business and economics might be make-pretend rather than real.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:34 AM   #149
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So you've illuminated the problems...

Got any solutions?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:53 AM   #150

Quote:
So you've illuminated the problems...

Got any solutions?
I'll assume this was directed at me. I haven't illuminated any problems. They have been quite visible for a long long time.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:04 AM   #151

Quote:
Right. Good boy. That's exactly how they want you to think and "feel" about it.* And besides, why would anybody really ever need more than tasty scraps anyway?
You lost me with that post. *I used those "scrap" clients (that none of the bigger corporations wanted) to establish my own small buisness from which I semi-retired in my mid thirties with hundreds of thousands of dollars in the bank and no debt.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:20 AM   #152

Quote:
The reality is that while opportunities certainly do exist in America, many of these opportunities have been locked away from even the above average person these days. *Large corporations have taken over almost every aspect of American life that one can think of... from hotels, to retail shops to auto dealerships to farms to package shipping... the list goes on and on. *Work there or survive at your own peril.

Could you imagine trying to build a new railroad across the US these days the way Dagny did in Atlas Shrugged? *It would be an impossibility for all but the largest corporations, working closely with the government. *That shouldn't be, especially when there has been a major shortage of rail transportation over the last decade. *Same for oil refining.
You may be correct within the boundaries of the box you have created.* But think outside the box and you will find boundless wealth and opportunity.

As an example, while it is true that I can't build a railroad, I can look at the the railroad as an opportunity for me to build a small business along it's path.* What do people need at a railroad stop?* Refreshments, food, shelter, souveniers, entertainment, etc.

I can't do oil refining on a major scale, but someone in this forum recently said they were going to create biodiesel with used restaurant oil.

Don't worry about about what you can't do, just focus on what you can do.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:30 PM   #153

Quote:
Razz is probably young and paying taxes, Mr. Galt probably is older, hasn't paid taxes in a while and thinks the world still operates like it did a few decades ago.
Thank you, my son. I just turned 48 and havent worked since 199, and that was just dabbling

You are esssentially correct in everything else. I don;t recall the Taggert Railriad thing from the preposterously long book BUT as far as US railroads of teh 19th century they were accompliched, not by capitalists but by something more akin to Mercanilists. The "axis" of wealthy business operators and Big Government. Land. That always a gov program. Even bussinessmen cant "creat" that source of wealth. The Age of Discovery. Armies, Killing off enough Injuns. Not exactly businessmen internalizing costs. But why do that IAW capitalist principles when you can get the gov to socialize the costs?

Quote:
I used those "scrap" clients (that none of the bigger corporations wanted) to establish my own small buisness from which I semi-retired in my mid thirties with hundreds of thousands of dollars in the bank and no debt
Oh I'm impressed .. A SMALL Business!

You must be one of those people who gives up easily and doesn't "strive" hard enough.

The point is YOU had to WORK. YOU didn't not even get close to The Bigtime. A bigger handfull o' crumbs. Thansya massa. But the Wealthy referred to earlier in this thread have more wealth than you will ever WORK for in 10 lifetimes and they do not WORK for it. They simply own the "rights" to OTHER PEOPLE'S work and the mechanism to redistribute the wealth produced by them. THAT has been the recent trajectory this thread.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:00 PM   #154
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thank you, my son. I just turned 48 and havent worked since 199, and that was just dabbling

You are esssentially correct in everything else. I don;t recall the Taggert Railriad thing from the preposterously long book BUT as far as US railroads of teh 19th century they were accompliched, not by capitalists but by something more akin to Mercanilists. The "axis" of wealthy business operators and Big Government. Land. That always a gov program. Even bussinessmen cant "creat" that source of wealth. The Age of Discovery. Armies, Killing off enough Injuns. Not exactly businessmen internalizing costs. But why do that IAW capitalist principles when you can get the gov to socialize the costs?

Oh I'm impressed .. A SMALL Business!

You must be one of those people who gives up easily and doesn't "strive" hard enough.

The point is YOU had to WORK. YOU didn't not even get close to The Bigtime. A bigger handfull o' crumbs. Thansya massa. But the Wealthy referred to earlier in this thread have more wealth than you will ever WORK for in 10 lifetimes and they do not WORK for it. They simply own the "rights" to OTHER PEOPLE'S work and the mechanism to redistribute the wealth produced by them. THAT has been the recent trajectory this thread.
Are you saying the opportunity to create vast sums of wealth are gone? I believe Forbes just published it's list of the richest, and the top 4-5 are all "new money"-Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Buffet, Michael Dell....they all started small business style and are now at the top of the heap!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:09 PM   #155
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Whoa! What is in the water this morning?

Ha
Old 09-26-2005, 01:41 PM   #156
Recycles dryer sheets

Purple Koolaid.

In fact this series of discussions are some of the most relevant points I have seen on this board.* We sell ourselves through our time on the job and the talents we are able to muster that others find of value.* However, there is a corporate fuedal estate in which employees are the serfs and vassels and will never own any real title to the fields they till.* Perhaps those on this board "get it" and have evolved to the point that they are content with their gruel and the welt upon their formerly overworked backs have long since healed, such afflications by management at the hands of the elite over class no longer the price of obtaining an income.

I am content with taking my wealth and transforming it into a self funded and directed personal freedom.* I ignore whatever Forbes finds worthy of publishing as its tantamount to a gossip magazine about the rich. We all choose our own path. I enjoy mine, and do not envy anyone else on theirs.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:14 PM   #157

Quote:
Are you saying the opportunity to create vast sums of wealth are gone? I believe Forbes just published it's list of the richest, and the top 4-5 are all "new money"-Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Buffet, Michael Dell....they all started small business style and are now at the top of the heap!
What they are did was profit form the work of others via ownership of the rights to their output. A government program. Tell me they all simply, with their own 2 hands and brain power, created that wealth? Of course they didn't.

Second.. they did what they did and it PAID OFF. What's the old stat about businesses? 80% fail in 2 yrs? Obviously they won something of a lottery in there. They beat the odds. Of course they did. Now ask yourself, can EVERYBODY beat the odds? No, of course not. Apparently only 20% are even still in business after 2 yrs. So, looks like the game is rigged one way or the other. Not assigning blame, or pointing a finger but just don't bullshit me with copyrighted tales of derring-do in the field of striving and achieving and "personal productivity."

Old 09-26-2005, 03:08 PM   #158
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What they are did was profit form the work of others via ownership of the rights to their output. A government program. Tell me they all simply, with their own 2 hands and brain power, created that wealth? Of course they didn't.

Second.. they did what they did and it PAID OFF. What's the old stat about businesses? 80% fail in 2 yrs? Obviously they won something of a lottery in there. They beat the odds. Of course they did. Now ask yourself, can EVERYBODY beat the odds? No, of course not. Apparently only 20% are even still in business after 2 yrs. So, looks like the game is rigged one way or the other. Not assigning blame, or pointing a finger but just don't bull**** me with copyrighted tales of derring-do in the field of striving and achieving and "personal productivity."

Everybody knows that just because you are a good plumber, that doesn't mean you should start a plumbing business. The ability to integrate and manage the skills of others should not be underrated. Another example, Hewlett-Packard was started in a garage.

I'm not trying to bull**** you, of course not everybody can be succesful at business. The vast majority of people also aren't geniuses, and can't be astronauts or professional athletes. There is no vast conspiracy holding me back from being a starting running back in the NFL, I just ain't got the skills! Sure, there are barriers to entry wrt business, but it's not as dark as you are making it. Is your point that not everybody can make a billion dollars? Risk vs. reward is alive in well, IMHO.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:10 PM   #159
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Rare opportunities at best. It's kind of like looking at a rock star and saying, "see you too can be a rock star." It's true you can, but like winning the lotto, it's not likely.
I totally agree, but was it a hack guitar players lack of talent or "the man" that kept him from being a rock star? O.K., some rock stars are hacks but I digress. I guess I need a short, sweet synopse of what you and razztazz are saying, I don't want to argue a point you aren't making.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:27 PM   #160
Moderator Emeritus

Excellent post davew894, I'm all cleared up wrt what you're driving at. The only point I would differ with you and razz on (maybe) is to the extent of the effect, or the extent that it matters. Then again, this is coming from an upper-middle class white male with college educated parents who never saw any (real) adversity in his life. The deck has been stacked in my favor.