Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
For those that give themselves short buzz cuts do you have any tips? I know that my barber uses a #2 guard but other than that I'm clueless.
I found out that it works pretty well if I don't go longer than 5/8. I use to go all the way to 1 or 1.5 inches but I had trouble with the top of the head. I like 5/8's because at that point the hair starts to lay down. I have a family member that cuts the neck hair I have trouble doing that. I just do a box cut in the back to make it easy.

Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have never cut my own hair, which is wavy, and don't intend to try. But I stopped having it coloured a few months ago. It will take a few more months to see the final colour but so far I do not feel compelled to colour it again.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
For those that give themselves short buzz cuts do you have any tips? I know that my barber uses a #2 guard but other than that I'm clueless.
Are the guard #'s standard? I use a #1 guard (1/8") on my Wahl clippers and just run the clippers over my head until everything is even and there are no little spikes sticking out. Then I jump in the shower and clean up my neck, the back of my head, and the other edges with a razor (I shave in the shower).

Piece o' cake. Saves money, and I can't imagine ever going to a barber again.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #24

I don't trim my own hair... I have DH do it. My hair is waistlength - but has a lot of curl. About every 6 months, DH trims off 4 or 5 inches - straight across the back when it's wet.

He does his own hair with a flowbee.

The boys rebel a bit against the clippers and flowbee - but will let us maintain the barber shop cut with clippers and/or flowbee between the 3-4 month barber shop visits. The local barber shop is an old school place with these old hispanic guys - they do a cut for $8 plus a $2 tip.

All in, as a family of 4, we spend $80/year on haircuts.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Are the guard #'s standard? I use a #1 guard (1/8") on my Wahl clippers and just run the clippers over my head until everything is even and there are no little spikes sticking out. Then I jump in the shower and clean up my neck, the back of my head, and the other edges with a razor (I shave in the shower).

Piece o' cake. Saves money, and I can't imagine ever going to a barber again.

Thanks for the vote of how easy it is. DW is convinced I can't do what you're doing. Think I'll accidentally buy a set of clippers.

I thought the guards were standard length, not so according to this site: http://menshair.about.com/od/forhair...uard_Sizes.htm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 10-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I still have thick dark hair with so little grey that people have often accused me of dyeing. And they scan my hair looking to see if it's a toupée.

I spent $20 at a hair salon once every 2 months, as I let it grow out a bit between cuts. Going to the salon is a pain, but my wife does not know how to cut it. The cut is actually cheaper than $20, but that includes a donation to my long-time hair dresser's charity activity.

My wife wears long hair, and she cuts her own.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was younger, I dyed my light brown, mousey hair blonde and wore it long. This was inexpensive but my hair color tended to look brassy. So as I aged and became more affluent, I switched to having it highlighted blonde to look more natural and cut every 6-8 weeks to look more professional. Then the gray started to surface and I had to have it colored brown first to hide the gray and then have it highlighted with blonde streaks. This started to get expensive.

A few years ago, I developed a scalp condition and stopped the entire coloring process. I found that I actually like the gray so now just have it cut regularly. Saves me at least $500 per year. My hair is wavy so would not try to cut it myself.

Edited: The gray does make me look older but I don't mind. I'm short and have always looked ten years younger than my age. Sounds good but I work in a male dominated field and looking younger can be a handicap. I think I get a little more professional respect now that I look older.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #28

I have cut my own hair short and spiky since high school. Dyed it myself until around age 38 when I stopped and let it go salt & pepper, which it remains today. I also cut my husband's hair. Neither if us like being "handled" by strangers.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #29

I had decided to "embrace the gray" until I was talking to my relatively new 75 year old neighbor and she mentioned how I was 10 years younger than her. EEEK ! I'm 52 and she thinks I'm mid 60s ! Hence the dye job. The shorter cut also helps me look more my age.

I used the method on this video to cut my hair - only mine is now 4 inches in the front and 6 inches in the back

Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I would stop coloring my hair but the color gives it body .Plus how do you make it through the growing out stage ?
Old 10-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I thought the guards were standard length, not so according to this site: Clipper Blades and Guards Sizes and Lengths
I didn't know whether the guard sizes were standard or not but I didn't really think about it until today. On getting my clippers many years ago, I started out with the second to shortest guide in the set, and after a few cuts, decided I'd try the shortest. I've stuck with that one ever since.

A short buzz cut, IMO, is the lowest maintenance hair-style there is. Complete baldness requires more regular upkeep, if you want to stay bald. On top of that, I do like having a minimal amount of hair on my head as it soaks up the sweat, and provides a small degree of heat insulation.

The funny thing is that my hair starts to feel greasy and unmanageable after a few weeks when, to the outside observer, it is still very short. It is all relative.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Are the guard #'s standard? I use a #1 guard (1/8") on my Wahl clippers and just run the clippers over my head until everything is even and there are no little spikes sticking out.
I like going to a barber. Here, they are all heavily tattooed and liberally pierced women. Lately though, I have just done my own. All the combs I have seen have the actual length on them. I usually go with 3/8. 1/8 is easier to get it all even, but then I have to deal with GF saying, "Oh, it's thug time again?" I don't look particularly middle class no matter what I do, but 1/8 or 1/16 is really pushing it. It seems that most middle of the road men my age get regular barber cuts- aka "styled", for $25 and up, plus tip.

Ha
Old 10-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I would stop coloring my hair but the color gives it body .Plus how do you make it through the growing out stage ?
My hair has no body even with the color !

I would think that using using one of the non-permanent dyes during the growing out stage might work. After it has grown out you could then cut off the portion that was previously permanently dyed and then let the non-permanent dye fade out. I'm sure there's a youtube video to answer the question
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #34

Quote:
The funny thing is that my hair starts to feel greasy and unmanageable after a few weeks when, to the outside observer, it is still very short. It is all relative.
Same with me. I get mine shaved to a #1. If I go much past 3 weeks it feels greasy and I just don't like it that long even in the winter.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
My hair has no body even with the color !

Surely, it has body! Otherwise, how could you wear clothes?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

And don't call me Shurley.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

And don't call me Shurley.

Roger, Butch

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Same with me. I get mine shaved to a #1. If I go much past 3 weeks it feels greasy and I just don't like it that long even in the winter.
In high school I wore hair 2.5 inches long so for me 5/8 in very short. The funny thing is I have tried to go back to longer hair but was not able to do it because it bugged me so much. I also found out you do not have to wash short hair as often. With the longer hair I had to wash it every day but with the shorter hair I might go two or three days on a wash.
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
In high school I wore hair 2.5 inches long so for me 5/8 in very short. The funny thing is I have tried to go back to longer hair but was not able to do it because it bugged me so much. I also found out you do not have to wash short hair as often. With the longer hair I had to wash it every day but with the shorter hair I might go two or three days on a wash.
When I first get it shaved I can go 2 days without washing if I want to but after 2- 2 1/2 weeks I need to do it every day or it gets to feel too greasy.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
It gives mine body too! I would still have someone cut it as mine has a couple of layers since I feel a straight bob makes me look older. However, I would love to color my own as I get annoyed every time at the cost for just "pulling color thru". I also find more and more I dislike spending the time to do it.

More often than not, when I return home and when it seems a bit dark for me (I'm a medium blonde) I get my handy highlight kit from the drugstore and do my own highlights.

For those that do their own color, what brand do you use? Have you seen a difference in the color from when you do it versus when a salon does it? Often salons say "be careful, it may turn orange on you". I suppose that is the fear factor, huh? That and having to spend the money to "correct it".