No More Mr. Nice Guy

People who do business with the slimebags vote for them everytime they do business with them.

If people wouldn't tolerate bad behavior and walk out - Then it would only rarely happen.

As soon as I can get a better price at a One-Price Dealer than I can get from a haggler, I will buy from him. I think theses One-Price shops serve a good purpose for people for whom haggling is so unpleasant that they would rather give up money than haggle, but not for others.

I actually enjoy the process. I like salesmen and women, and it doesn't stress me to play the games that they like. Where else in life do we get to guiltlessly feign all sorts of emotions that we don't feel, make exaggerated gestures, lie freely, and then get paid for it? Other than becoming a salesman or lawyer? :)

Ha

I hate the whole haggling process when buying a car. I am buying a new car, not shopping for a rug at the bazaar for pete sake...

Now I use USAA's car buying services. They offer good discounts and the price is settled before I even set foot at the dealership. We bought 2 new cars in the past month and the process has been completely painless for both. Walk-in, hand out the receipt with the agreed upon price, pick the car on the lot, write a check, drive off.

I am aware of USAA's car buying services via their literature but never knew anyone who has used it. I will file this away for future reference as I don't know the first thing about buying a car. My first ever purchase was 4 years ago and I am sure I got ripped. Live and learn.

As soon as I can get a better price at a One-Price Dealer than I can get from a haggler, I will buy from him. I think theses One-Price shops serve a good purpose for people for whom haggling is so unpleasant that they would rather give up money than haggle, but not for others.

I actually enjoy the process. I like salesmen and women, and it doesn't stress me to play the games that they like. Where else in life do we get to guiltlessly feign all sorts of emotions that we don't feel, make exaggerated gestures, lie freely, and then get paid for it? Other than becoming a salesman or lawyer? :)

Ha

That's funny, Ha. Interesting to see how the outside world views us.

This is true: Sometimes you have a customer--who you know needs the product, the product will help him and he/she can afford it--who has no guts/is scared to make a decision and needs a little push. Then you do stress (not necessarily exaggerate) the truth to get him off his @ss. I considered it my job to help people make the right decision--yes, even it it was not to buy my product.
Pushing someone to buy something they don't need at all can bite you in the fanny (that's for beginners who are desperate).
Selling is like stores: Treat a customer right and they tell one person; treat a customer wrong and they tell 10.
You just cannot go around lying and cheating people without making lots of enemies, and getting not only customers pissed but your fellow salespeople of the product who have to listen to the crap about you from the customers. I've seen this more than once happen. Not cool. Better to have some ethics and integrity, treat people well and build your repeat customer base. Makes life easier in the long run for all.
This is the way it really works, Ha.
I mean, do you keep dealing with the guy who pushed you to buy that widget you really didn't need? And it really didn't work like he said it would? No, you don't ever go back to him again. Repeat business is where the easy money is at, so it really is self-defeating for a salesperson to shaft the customers. (And I was #1 in my division at IBM when I worked there, and then did well when I had my own business, so I think I know of what I speak.)

The top Toyota salesperson in Houston answered any question you had, was on top of your situation always, didn't lie about what he was doing or about the car. I bought 2 cars from him. He was fast, punctual, efficient to the max and honest. And went the extra mile for you. Now that's a good salesperson...and he had awards out the ying-yang to prove it.

This is the way it really works, Ha.

Yes, I am sure you are right. However, many of those that I have dealt with are either mendacious or not very clear thinkers.

Anyway, big deal. Since when is it a sin to lie to the public? Works pretty well for our elected officials. :D

Ha

This, on the other hand, is what the book recommends . . .

Quote:
The first day of work is confusing and frustrating. Few people are helpful and everyone expects the new guy to make the effort to introduce himself. Do just that. . . . . After everyone knows your name, really make your presence known. This next move is tricky, but if done correctly can set the tone from the rest of your time at the company.

1. Find a reason to get incredibly angry with a coworker for no good reason
2. Make it personal. If they remove something from your desk or make a comment toward you in mixed company, lose your mind for a brief moment
3. Seal it with a threat. In an angry tone and with near-psycho eye contact tell them it would be best if they never did whatever small thing they did again. "Don't ever, ever touch my Wall Street Journal."

Crazy? It's beyond crazy. But would you ever cross a person that flips out on someone for touching their newspaper?

If I ever saw anyone doing anything like that I would make every effort to never deal with them professionally again. Not on any of my projects. Never on any team I assemble. Never assigned to anything I need for any deliverable. Also, at every management opportunity I would be using that anecdote to campaign for getting them out of the organization whether by outright termination or by putting them first on every layoff list ever assembled.

Anyone who believes that this twisted antic is the right way to get what they want must have no concept of consequences or even much of a grasp of the idea that other people are people too.

Agreed, that kind of unprofessional behavior would absolutely not have been tolerated at any place I worked during my career. Somehow I don't think the author is giving advice to people who are career professionals and who need some good will from their team members in order to succeed in their career.

Audrey

On the receiving end - I usually have a pretty long fuse. It takes a lot to get me to raise my voice or swear.
My list of options of how to react when confronted with an A-hole are
(a) ignore it, (b) walk away, or (c) just give them "the look", coupled with option (a) or (b). :LOL:
I've driven these types nutz all my life by not reacting to their button pushing. It is an art in itself. :cool:

On the delivery end - as far as intentionally acting like one...:nonono:

Yes, I am sure you are right. However, many of those that I have dealt with are either mendacious or not very clear thinkers.

Anyway, big deal. Since when is it a sin to lie to the public? Works pretty well for our elected officials. :D

Ha[/QUOTE

I took Humana last year and really like the saleslady alot. Then I turned 65 and had to switch. Naturally, she expected and wanted my business; however, upon examination of the supplemental policy, I caught her in a couple lies. No way would I trust her or Humana with my business now. I wonder still what she thought she was going to win by lying?

Again, like I said, flim-flam/lying/scamming behavior is done either by beginners or POOR salespeople. The good ones/the experienced ones are too smart to do that normally. I haven't known too many experienced pros that act like that--altho there are exceptions to the rule.

As far as acting up in the office, I'm with growing older. I'd get rid of them.

If anyone ever read the original Saint books by Leslie Charteris, the author has Simon Templar get results by imperious demands upon bureaucrats (etc.). Reading that, I thought, "Bon chance, mon ami." Not in this century.

Orchidflower, good for you.

In a difficult situation, I start heavy on the sugah and if that doesn't work, I lower my voice to a near whisper and patiently wait to hear what I want to hear.

I'm retired....I have time. ;)

Does this guy actually do this stuff in real life?

I'm pretty sure the book is designed to be more tongue-in-cheek humor than an actual self help manual. But undoubtedly someone will take the message seriously and try to implement the recommendations as good advice. And in all likelihood I will eventually have to deal with that person at some point in the future. :(

I agree with Ha about auto negotiations, I handle the haggling pretty well with good results, DW thinks I enjoy arguing with sales people. But doing research is even more valuable than haggling and it is not personality dependent. Bought a brand new 05 Ford Focus for under $10K, a door buster, only two for sale by serial number. came in and wrote out a check. No pressure on price although I did have to fend off offered 'enhancements' and financing.

If I might make a suggestion: When you go into the car dealership make a point to get one of the top two salespeople. They have probably been there longest and can work more "magic" for you in getting you the price you want and the deal you are looking for.
You can find out who they are by asking the receptionist probably or even the sales manager. Top salespeople are happy to make a commission off you or off the auto maker, so they don't care just so long as you purchase from them.

Remember that salespeople who are pros and been in the business awhile WANT your REPEAT business as it is easier to re-sell someone you have already sold. Nobody is going to go back to the guy they feel cheated them or didn't give them all they felt was due to them are they? This is why I say go to one of the top salespeople wherever you are as they will do more for you overall. I do this with anything of value I purchase.

This is pretty basic, and I hope I'm not offending anyone; but, you would be surprised how many people aren't aware of how sales teams work and automatically assume every sales person is out to screw them. This fear really puts you at a disadvantage because you go in there with fear and really don't assess the situation like you would if you were more relaxed. You don't have a clear head, in other words.

If I might make a suggestion: When you go into the car dealership make a point to get one of the top two salespeople. They have probably been there longest and can work more "magic" for you in getting you the price you want and the deal you are looking for.
You can find out who they are by asking the receptionist probably or even the sales manager. Top salespeople are happy to make a commission off you or off the auto maker, so they don't care just so long as you purchase from them.

Remember that salespeople who are pros and been in the business awhile WANT your REPEAT business as it is easier to re-sell someone you have already sold. Nobody is going to go back to the guy they feel cheated them or didn't give them all they felt was due to them are they? This is why I say go to one of the top salespeople wherever you are as they will do more for you overall. I do this with anything of value I purchase.

This is pretty basic, and I hope I'm not offending anyone; but, you would be surprised how many people aren't aware of how sales teams work and automatically assume every sales person is out to screw them. This fear really puts you at a disadvantage because you go in there with fear and really don't assess the situation like you would if you were more relaxed. You don't have a clear head, in other words.

Oh good! The salesman who sold me my Venza was the top one at that dealership. I know this not only because he told me, and because he had the awards all over his office to prove it, but also because he has the best office location in the dealership. :D The whole process was much smoother, faster, and more pleasant than I had been accustomed to in the past so I think you are right.

Well, maybe one convert so far in W2R...:D What I said is true, honest.

Actually, in many cases the top salespeople are simply the BEST salespeople, and make more money off customers than other salespeople......;)

I'll agree with that......:)

Some of the WORST salespersons I know are in the auto business. They are untrained and unmotivated to a large extent. Maybe that will change in the future with less dealerships and less demand. Most dealerships have a couple excellent salespersons and the rest are average to below average..........

I don't know how car dealers stay in business. Ten minutes on Craigslist, even on Oahu, would offer us half a dozen affordable used vehicles that I'd be perfectly happy owning.

The ones who survive have very busy parts, service, and body shop areas............;)

Best car deal we ever made was on a very busy Saturday with a salesperson who was no longer employed there a week later--he came way down in price on a new Accord and gave us almost what we had paid for our two-year-old trade-in. We couldn't believe it, and we are terrible negotiators, so the deal was not from anything we did. I am sure the top salesperson would have gotten a lot more of our money.

Best car deal we ever made was on a very busy Saturday with a salesperson who was no longer employed there a week later--he came way down in price on a new Accord and gave us almost what we had paid for our two-year-old trade-in. We couldn't believe it, and we are terrible negotiators, so the deal was not from anything we did. I am sure the top salesperson would have gotten a lot more of our money.

I second going for the soon-to-depart salesperson :D I was amazed at a salesperson who agreed to all my terms for a new car order. I even remember him handing me the contract and letting me write whatever I wanted in it. He collected his commission and was long gone by the time I got my car and the deal passed scrutiny.

I hope we're all smart enough not to be ass holes to the waiter/waitress, dentist, doctor, mechanic.....

Not exactly on topic ....BUT.

I hope we're all smart enough not to be ass holes to the waiter/waitress, dentist, doctor, mechanic.....
I won't be an AH to lower paid people on your list. I expect my doctor, dentist and (to some degree, my mechanic) to act like professionals and not expect a gratuity for doing what I pay them to do.

I won't be an AH to lower paid people on your list. I expect my doctor, dentist and (to some degree, my mechanic) to act like professionals and not expect a gratuity for doing what I pay them to do.
I only mentioned those people because they're in a position to hurt you....

Back
Top Bottom