No More Mr. Nice Guy

As soon as I can get a better price at a One-Price Dealer than I can get from a haggler, I will buy from him. I think theses One-Price shops serve a good purpose for people for whom haggling is so unpleasant that they would rather give up money than haggle, but not for others.

I actually enjoy the process. I like salesmen and women, and it doesn't stress me to play the games that they like. Where else in life do we get to guiltlessly feign all sorts of emotions that we don't feel, make exaggerated gestures, lie freely, and then get paid for it? Other than becoming a salesman or lawyer? :)

Ha

Ha,

Bein' as how you live in the Greater Seattle Area, this may be of some use to you.

We bought two vehicles at the Enterprise used car lot on Aurora. One price, no haggling. We shopped two states for a Prizm and found exactly what we wanted at the best price there. We also bought a minvan there and were again very happy (bought the FACTORY warranty, which paid for itself when the tranny died).

Having said that, I found the Enterprise used car offers in Canada completely unacceptable (but used-car prices in Canadistan are beyond belief--NEW car prices are also beyond belief).

(but used-car prices in Canadistan are beyond belief--NEW car prices are also beyond belief).[/QUOTE]

What should we believe?

Can the new car price have to do with the car companies not recognizing the C$/US$ exchange rate? Can the used car price be proportional to the new price? Can Canadians not go south to get a reasonable deal?

I am dealing with a purchase not nearly as expensive as a car... a toy I purchased for my grandson's birthday. His parents wanted a specific item so I went on Amazon and found one vendor who offered the product new in a new box. When it arrived the box had the wear of a display item and the batteries were shot.

I immediately wrote the seller to tell them how disappointed I was with the product - that is wasn't in gift condition. As it turned out the product worked so there was no way I could disappoint my grandson.

After no response I wrote the seller a second time, again complaining about what they sent as it wasn't in 'new' condition and that I had taken pictures. Bad me I didn't tell them what I expected as a remedy.

The seller wrote back saying that photos meant nothing, that I could have substutued the item, then offered 15% rebate ($10) on the condition that I post no feedback. The implication that I would lie made me mad. At this point the greater value may be sharing my experiance in feedback.

What would you do?

What would you do?

See the OP. Then, I would take it up with Amazon... they are the ones with the most to lose. This particular vendor hasn't yet figured out how valuable reputation (brand name, if you will) is in this age of easy data exchange. Therefore, negotiations are just going to go further south unless you get a strong partner to step forward on your behalf -- Amazon has more to lose from (or because of) you than from any vendor.

The seller wrote back saying that photos meant nothing, that I could have substutued the item, then offered 15% rebate ($10) on the condition that I post no feedback. The implication that I would lie made me mad. At this point the greater value may be sharing my experiance in feedback.

What would you do?

If you had not already given the gift to your grandson, I would contact Amazon. I have never complained to Amazon and not had them give me a refund. They just snatch it back from the sellers bank account. I also sell on Amazon, and am aware that I must pack well, describe well, get it out on time etc or they will grab the payment back from my account, or just grab it before it is deposited.

As to this seller, you might consider just sharing his nasty little message with the Amazon world. I think you have 200 words in which to do so.

Ha

Agreed that this kind of a*hole behavior advocated by the author is terribly unpleasant to be around. But it goes beyond just creating a hostile environment for everyone else nearby.
Crazy? It's beyond crazy. But would you ever cross a person that flips out on someone for touching their newspaper?
See the New York Times today for some additional background on Dr Amy Bishop Amy Bishop, Professor Arrested in Shooting, Was Prone to Volatile Reactions, Colleagues Say - NYTimes.com

Among other things:
Over the years, Dr. Bishop had shown evidence that the smallest of slights could set off a disproportionate and occasionally violent reaction, according to numerous interviews with colleagues and others who know her. Her life seemed to veer wildly between moments of cold fury and scientific brilliance, between rage at perceived slights and empathy for her students.
This reminds me of the stories of ex-employees "going postal" and other rage fueled craziness. Someone who can display this kind of hostility to others is a real danger.

Can you imagine what life must have been like for her husband and children??

If you had not already given the gift to your grandson, I would contact Amazon. I have never complained to Amazon and not had them give me a refund. They just snatch it back from the sellers bank account. I also sell on Amazon, and am aware that I must pack well, describe well, get it out on time etc or they will grab the payment back from my account, or just grab it before it is deposited.

As to this seller, you might consider just sharing his nasty little message with the Amazon world. I think you have 200 words in which to do so.

Ha

I did that and the seller heard from Amazon. The seller is very angry at me because they are telling her to give me my money back. What she probably doesn't realize is that Amazon has both a copy of her advertisement and our exchange of e-mails through the Amazon site. Odds are what really angered Amazon was that her offer of adjustment was conditioned on no feedback and the fact that she implied that I falsified photos. Now I will see what Amazon does with my payment.

If the seller had been smart she would have said something to the effect of "I am sorry, we had several of that toy and you were shipped the wrong one. In light of that I offer an adjustment of $, is that satisfactory?" I might have asked for an additional $5, felt good about the transaction and left an OK or better feedback.

The most fun I ever had at a dealership was when my boyfriend wanted a new truck. We agreed he would only get one if I approved of the price. He knew the make and model he wanted so we shopped. The first dealership had his truck and he test drove it and loved it. The salesman kept asking for too much money and going to talk to his manager. When he would get back I would say it was too much. He tried to get my boyfriend to be a man and not listen to me, make his own decisions. He was pretty rude and wished I wasn't there. He told him he couldn't get the truck anywhere else they wouldn't have the one he wanted. I still didn't let him buy it so we went to another dealer. He got the exact same truck at a better price. Then the next day the first salesman called to see if he still wanted to buy the truck. I was happy to lose him a commission since he was a jerk.

Shopping with Bubba

I went car shopping with my friend Bubba. He selected a car and on the test drive Bubba cut a corner and ran through the flower bed at the dealership.

we went inside to talk "turkey" and the salesman offered us some coffee. Bubba then proceeded to reach across the desk and spill my coffee all over the salesman's desk and onto the salesman.

Negotiations went on and on. I went for a walk. When I came back the sales manager and the closer were in there workin' Bubba. Still no deal after hours. Everyone was exhausted.

We finally left and I asked Bubba why he didn't buy the car. He just smiled and said " Oh, I just wanted to see how low they would go !"

Back
Top Bottom