Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Now watch gasoline prices can you say 4 dollars a gallon
Old 04-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Broke $74 a barrel, this is like watching a train wreck, I can't tear my eyes away!

Gas in my neck of the woods is averaging $3.00, with small time stations (who can't afford long term contracts?) around $3.15.

We should do a prediction thread like "The Price is Right" and have people predict the high water/oil mark for a barrel of oil and average price of a gallon of gas nationwide. Have a cut off date of say, a week after Labor Day. At least let's have a little fun!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2006, 11:40 AM   #42

Quote:
American being the "rugged inidividual"
Anyone see the American Experience special on the 1906 San Fran earthquake/fire? According to the documentary, people got things running again very quickly. They showed a big column of donkeys bringing in supplies after a day or two.

It could be unfair, but I couldn't help comparing it with Katrina. Big difference: a lot of the people in that area in 1906 were pretty rugged individuals (33% were immigrants).
Old 04-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
Our only defense is to stop driving, and Im all for a national boycott of oil, I can live with out a fillup for a long time, can you? I use public transport for most of my commute,and Im quite used to walking, can many of you do that?
Wish I could, its almost impossible to get around in SoCal with public transportation alone. I suppose if you're very lucky it might happen, but for most people staring at some dudes bumper going 10 miles and hour sounds about right.

I envy those who can use public transportation. More freedom to you!
&quot;The one who creates does not wait for an opportunity, blaming circumstances, the fates, and the gods.&nbsp; He seizes opportunities or creates them with the magic wand of his will, effort, and searching discrimination&quot;<br />-Yogananda
veritasophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:18 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritasophia
Wish I could, its almost impossible to get around in SoCal with public transportation alone. I suppose if you're very lucky it might happen, but for most people staring at some dudes bumper going 10 miles and hour sounds about right.

I envy those who can use public transportation. More freedom to you!
Hey - don't forget about a wonderful invention called a bicycle.
Gets me to and from work just fine.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:10 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl

It could be unfair, but I couldn't help comparing it with Katrina.* Big difference: a lot of the people in that area in 1906 were pretty rugged individuals (33% were immigrants).
Don't think it's unfair at all. Just a sign of the times.

Following this board when we see 30 something year olds that are making solidly in the six figure income, and their biggest complaint is that they're bored on there job
is a pretty good indicator.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:00 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
Hey - don't forget about a wonderful invention called a bicycle.
Gets me to and from work just fine.
I recently opened my eyes to the world of folding bikes. Although I bought a touring type folder that doesn't fold as small, you can get folders that fold real compact that can be taken on public transportation. I have been experimenting by going with my bike folded to the DMV, several supermarkets and even a not too busy restaurant. So far so good.
For some of you, you can ride your bike to the train/bus, folded it up. At your destination, unfold it, ride it to work, fold it up and take it with you to your office.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:01 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug
Most of us living here, just like the rest of the country can afford to probably eat half of what we are eating now and be in much better health and shape. Most of the crap carted in by the trucks is just that, CRAP.

The nation should unite and go on a boycott showing the thugs in government and in industry that we can counter their acts of collusion.

Thievery by thugs thrives when confusion and disorganization by those being robbed is the norm.

This crap about the American being the "rugged inidividual" is just that, crap. The thugs in industry and government tout this rugged individual stuff, while they themselves are very united at colluding and thinking of schemes to squeeze every last dime out of us.

jug

The whole World ecomomy runs on oil. From the fertilizer for the crops to the trucks that deliver it. To the electric generators that provide the power for you to post nonsense on this board. Get an education.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've never met a conspiracy theorist who had ever worked at mid- to upper levels in a big organization. Anyone familiar with the way things work knows that almost nothing stays secret for long, and that any illicit collusion that might exist (whether it is between "big oil" and "the trilateral commission" or between Bill and Hilda in the next cubicle) survives only up to the moment that the best interest of ANY party is served by going public. That is not a formula for a long-lasting partnership.

But some folks will always see hidden forces at work where most folks just see "Mr Market."
Old 04-20-2006, 10:04 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

The whole World ecomomy runs on oil. From the fertilizer for the crops to the trucks that deliver it. To the electric generators that provide the power for you to post nonsense on this board. Get an education.
Oil is not a major source of electric genertation in the U.S. it comes in at 1.9% just behind "other". Get an education.

Source US Energy Information Agency

Old 04-20-2006, 10:37 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug
Most of us living here, just like the rest of the country can afford to probably eat half of what we are eating now and be in much better health and shape.* Most of the crap carted in by the trucks is just that, CRAP.

The nation should unite and go on a boycott showing the thugs in government and in industry that we can counter their acts of collusion.

Thievery by thugs thrives when confusion and disorganization by those being robbed is the norm.

This crap about the American being the "rugged inidividual" is just that, crap.* *The thugs in industry and government tout this rugged individual stuff, while they themselves are very united at colluding and thinking of schemes to squeeze every last dime out of us.

jug
Jug while I appreciate your passion I do ot for one minute think that the rise in oil is the result of intentional collusion between oil companies and the Government. It simply the result of two decades worth of failed national energy policy and a bunch of American consumers who care more about the size of their car than the impact of their lifestyle has on the rest of the world or the economic future for their childern.

The major oil companies (I don't work for them ) go to the ends of the earth risk huge sums of financial and human capital in one of the most volataile industries on earth. They are now being justly rewarded for the huge risks they took back when oil prices were in the toilet. I didn't here any consumers arguing for a windrise loss repayment when gas prices stayed under a dollar a gallon for years.

There may be some truth to the claims that some oil exporting countries are working together to keep prices higher than they would be in a fully competitive market but they have no obligation to look out for American consumers their obligation is the maximize profits for their country period.

Some day Americans will stop blaming others for the problems they create.

With 5% of the world's population we have less than 3% of the worlds proven reserves but consumes 20-25% of the worlds oil production.

Our national security is in the hands of a bunch of non-democratic states that do not share our core values or beliefs and whose populations hate us because we have historically supported governments in the region that do not provide their citizens with the very basic humans rights upon which this nation was founded.

I wish we had spent 500 billion on new energy sources over the past three years my self.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:01 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Our national security is in the hands of a bunch of non-democratic states that do not share our core values or beliefs and whose populations hate us...
Oh, come now. Canada is a democracy.

Gypsy
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:20 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Canada is also not a state -- it is a country.

I think he is talking about the Red States.

Bpp (ducking.)
Old 04-21-2006, 06:06 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearkeley
Oil is not a major source of electric genertation in the U.S. it comes in at 1.9% just behind "other". Get an education.

Source US Energy Information Agency

How does that make it an invalid point?

In any case this discussion was about boycotting petroleum companies. They for the most part are the same ones controlling the natural gas supply as well which is the second largest fuel for electric generation.

All of that coal that is number one in electric generation is transported and mined by trains and trucks burning diesel for the most part. On roads made of asphalt.

Since demand is higher than supply leading to the present higher prices any boycott is doomed to failure. If you donít buy it someone else is waiting to.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:04 AM   #54

Quote:
How does that make it an invalid point?

In any case this discussion was about boycotting petroleum companies. They for the most part are the same ones controlling the natural gas supply as well which is the second largest fuel for electric generation.

All of that coal that is number one in electric generation is transported and mined by trains and trucks burning diesel for the most part. On roads made of asphalt.

Since demand is higher than supply leading to the present higher prices any boycott is doomed to failure. If you donít buy it someone else is waiting to.
The fact that we have little women and men driving the likes of suvs that get 13 mpg pick up trucks like the ford f150 4x4 which gets 12 mpg and is the best selling vehicle in the usa
and even drive cars with 6 cyl and big horsepower instead of 4 cyl cars is a big reason for higher prices. We use too much and the darn stuff is under the ground of countries where the people do not really like us. 70+ a barrel, heck the saudis and Iranians are laughing at ALL AMERICANS!!!

Now why would you buy a 6 cyl toyota camry that gets 26 mpg instead of the 4 cyl that gets 34 mpg? Why would you buy a suv that gets 13 mpg instead of a station wagon like the subaru legacy that gets 30mpg?? IGNORANCE and the american idea that I Can Buy What I Want, It IS A Free Country!

I say its all dumb, selfish and not helpful that we waste so much of the oil and send so much money to the saudis and others in the ME who spawned the 9/11 hijackers.

Think before you buy your next car.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:37 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond
I recently opened my eyes to the world of folding bikes. Although I bought a touring type folder that doesn't fold as small, you can get folders that fold real compact that can be taken on public transportation. I have been experimenting by going with my bike folded to the DMV, several supermarkets and even a not too busy restaurant. So far so good.
For some of you, you can ride your bike to the train/bus, folded it up. At your destination, unfold it, ride it to work, fold it up and take it with you to your office.
When I took a trip on the Amtrak in January, there were a number of people with Dahon folding bikes. Amtrak now allows you to stash the folding bikes without going through a big packing procedure.

Our city buses have bike carriers on the front which are well used.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:41 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Dahon makes some very nice models of folding bikes - they have a whole line, not just the cheapest model you sometimes see in discount stores. We've been tempted (for our RV).

Audrey
Old 04-21-2006, 07:42 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Tell me more about folding bikes today. I looked into them about ten years ago but that is long fogotten. Where can I find out more? Reviews?

Thanks.

Ed
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:48 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Try looking here. This url is to a bike I'm going to order for riding around the local urban area during ER. But I notice they have a selection of folding bikes too.

http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...d=1033000&f=23
Old 04-21-2006, 08:41 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Dahon has some really nice folding bikes. www.dahon.com

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:46 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
I've never met a conspiracy theorist who had ever worked at mid- to upper levels in a big organization.* Anyone familiar with the way things work knows that almost nothing stays secret for long, and that any illicit collusion that might exist (whether it is between "big oil" and "the trilateral commission" or* between Bill and Hilda in the next cubicle) survives only up to the moment that the best interest of ANY party is served by going public.* That is not a formula for a long-lasting partnership.* *

But some folks will always see hidden forces at work where most folks just see "Mr Market."
I happen to work for a Government agency in NY, at the mid-management level for the past 25 plus years that "regulates" one of the largest industries in the *world

If you think there is no collusion nor any influence over Government big wigs from large industries, you are kidding your self.

The industry "regulates" us, not us the industry. *In meeting with the head scumbags honchos of these industries, they tell you all sorts of BS as to how they **** serve the public, but when you really see what they actually do, the public is served like a bull services a cow.

The oil money goes to the companies, not the countries where the oil is drilled. Oil is a big big industry, racking in big time bucks, and they along with a media that serves their interest will brain wash us into buying those huge SUV's fast cars to eat more fuel, to rack in the bucks. Media is very good at playing with your brain, they hardwire all sorts of thoughts into it, most of us cannot escape it.

Yes there are conspiracies, its not a theory, its a fact. They are forged in offices located in NY and London, Hong Kong and other big towns where scumbags sit, drink and think of ways to pull strings and suck the blood out of billions of drones drunk on media crap.

Conspiricies need good PR, hence control of the media, its a very subtle control. * They need politicians to not push the ticket against their actions. * Believe it, there are conspiricies among industries out there, no different than the conspiricies seen perpetrated by organized crime. *Oil, banking, insurance, media, financial services, drug companies, these are the biggies on this earth, and they have the means to buy whole governments lock stock and barrel.

jug