online billpay no longer free; looking for new one

smjsl

Recycles dryer sheets
It used to be that to qualify for better rates and such my credit union wanted me to use online billpay, which I happily did for a long time... Now, I guess they decided (or figured out?) it should be the other way around - to qualify for free bill pay I have to do a bunch of other things... in other words, after a dozen years with this institution as my primary bank (though it's a CU), I am now looking for a better place which would offer a free checking with online bill payer.

Can you folks recommend or suggest problems with online bill payment systems of other banks / CUs? Does/Did anyone here use online billpay at Alliant, Ally, USBank, PNC, others?

Thanks!

If you can keep $25,000 combined in your IRA, brokerage, & checking, then the only game in town is the WellsFargo PMA package. Everything is FREE. You get free trades on everything which is worth it alone.

Otherwise, USAA is a good place. I currently have $0.00 in my USAA checking and have never been charged a fee. In fact, I wouldn't even have a USAA account if they didn't pay me indirectly $6000 over the last few years.

I am currently using USBank and Schwab online bill pay, and both have functioned flawlessly for me, and are free with a checking account.

It has always been free with my USAA bank checking account.

Bank of America has great online bill pay -- free.

It is the only thing I like about BOA, I might add, and is one of very few "free" things they offer.

PNC offers free online bill pay with Free Checking. There's a minumum $2k for free ATM usage though.

We opted for the Performance Select Checking (min $10k) to get a free safe deposit box - $100 annual credit (we got the 2nd largest box) and free domestic wire transfers. The free wire transfer convinced me because I use it a lot. Some banks charge $30 or more for this service. I find I'll wire any amount since I don't get charged for it.

I am with Bank of America - they have a great online bill payment system. And it's free as far as I know (not sure for how long though).

My Capital One visa is offering bill pay--I presume it's free. And maybe gives points, too. Maybe I should look into it for myself....

I don't even use an online bill paying service.

I do have various recurring bill payments automatically taken out of my credit card and checking account. The bills that don't have this service (one or two a month) I write an old fashioned check.

To keep up to date where my current balance is I rely on my old style checkbook register (remember those things? :LOL:).

I have used ING and ALLY billpay, Ally pays a little more interest on the money that I keep in the account for the bill pay, but both have been very easy to use. I do like ING's online program a tad bit better, but the nice thing about Ally, is while they cut the check and send it before the due date, they don't actually debit your account until the day you have set up as the pay date (if that makes sense). A couple extra days float.....

I use Chase.... opened an account at Capital One, but did not like their bill pay program... so have let it just sit with a little money in it....

Have not tried the online banks for checking, but might look into that as I do have an ING savings account and it pays a lot more interest than either bank... hint... Chase is zero for my account, but if you had... say $90,000 in your checking account they raise that up to .01% (not a mistype)....

I do have various recurring bill payments automatically taken out of my credit card and checking account. The bills that don't have this service (one or two a month) I write an old fashioned check.

To keep up to date where my current balance is I rely on my old style checkbook register (remember those things? :LOL:).

Same here. I even pay my electric bill automatically via VISA and reclaim 1% every month.

My credit union has auto bill pay, but I only use it for my mortgage.

This is pretty much how I do things. Most of my regular monthly bills (electric, phone, cable TV) I pay via electronic payment from my checking account. Only one regular monthly bill I pay via paper check because they, surprisingly, have never set up auto-pay (I have asked them several times) even though we mail the check to their BANK! Go figure.

My non-monthly payments I pay by paper check even if I could auto-pay them. One reason is that some are large and another is that I want a paper trail. The bank which has my credit card has a branch down the street so I pay that in person, thereby avoiding any chance of the Post Office losing my check (and the walk gives me some exercise and a chance to get quarters for the laundry LOL!). One small annual bill goes to my credit card.

Most of the transactions in and out of my mutual funds are done electronically, but they are initiated through the mutual fund's website (or phone system).

Same here. I even pay my electric bill automatically via VISA and reclaim 1% every month.

My credit union has auto bill pay, but I only use it for my mortgage.

I would do that, but my utilities charge a fee... like $5 or $10... so you are not getting the full benefit... and only when your bill is big enough...

Our Wachovia checking account - now Wells Fargo - started charging $5.95/mo for access to the account using Quicken/Money.

I find that incredibly arrogant and greedy. Here we are - saving them money by not going into a branch (which is just a few blocks away) each time we want some information, but they feel they can turn around and charge for the service - while just about every bank offers it for free!

I called to have the charge removed. They changed my account type (now, that I'm over 50) and lo & behold - not only is the fee removed, but the minimum is reduced too!

I think there is much to recommend the "Move your money" movement. I plan to get out of this bank soon!

I would do that, but my utilities charge a fee... like $5 or $10... so you are not getting the full benefit... and only when your bill is big enough...

Made me look. Apparently my utility just eats the credit card charge.

I use Fidelity. Unused funds in MM. They automatically deduct the funds from the MM when they pay, not when you schedule a future payment.

It is the only thing I like about BOA, I might add, and is one of very few "free" things they offer.

I've been with Bank of America for years, going back to when it was Nations Bank. Always had a good relationship with them but they never made a cent off of me. As I remember, the checking account is free as long as you have met some basic requrements. In my case it was direct deposit of my retirement/social security check. Their online banking is then free and great. I no longer write checks.

Our Wachovia checking account - now Wells Fargo - started charging $5.95/mo for access to the account using Quicken/Money.

I find that incredibly arrogant and greedy. Here we are - saving them money by not going into a branch (which is just a few blocks away) each time we want some information, but they feel they can turn around and charge for the service - while just about every bank offers it for free!

That $5.95 monthly fee pushed me over the edge at Wachovia. I now bank at USAA, free checking, free online Bill Pay, free Quicken download.

Made me look. Apparently my utility just eats the credit card charge.

Made me look also.... it is my gas bill and they charge $2.95 (thought it was more since I paid two when I did it)... since that means I have to get over $236 on the bill with my 1.25% card.... well, it is not happening...

Just changed electric companies... have not looked to see what options they have...

Interesting how different people have really different experiences with the same institution. Region, chance, whatever, but I really like B of A. When I left the east coast, they were my first west coast bank-over 40 years ago. They are again my bank, and have been for 20 years or so due to roll-ups of regional NW banks that eventually led back to B of A.

Right now it is hard (perhaps impossible)to get a decent CD rate from them, but in every other way my experience with them has been pleasant and very helpful. And unlike some banks and CUs, they can do anything that I might need done. Never a fee, never a grumble or blank look.

Ha

If you can keep $25,000 combined in your IRA, brokerage, & checking, then the only game in town is the WellsFargo PMA package. Everything is FREE. You get free trades on everything which is worth it alone.

Otherwise, USAA is a good place. I currently have $0.00 in my USAA checking and have never been charged a fee. In fact, I wouldn't even have a USAA account if they didn't pay me indirectly $6000 over the last few years.

Wells Fargo just starting charging me a service fee to use Quicken directly. They said I could use the download feature from their web site for free.

I told them I might close all of my accounts because of this - I've been waiting for a reason to leave.

I called to have the charge removed. They changed my account type (now, that I'm over 50) and lo & behold - not only is the fee removed, but the minimum is reduced too!

What account type do you have now? The cs rep never suggested I switch account types. I'm not over 50 though.

Back
Top Bottom