Poll: Which Brokerage(s) do you use? Switching? See 1st Post for Poll Details.

Which Financial Institution/Brokerage do you use for the Majority of your Stash?

• Fidelity

Votes: 124 33.9%
  • Schwab

Votes: 66 18.0%
  • Vanguard

Votes: 99 27.0%
  • Traditional Bank

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Credit Union

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Combinations of the above

Votes: 44 12.0%
  • Other

Votes: 30 8.2%

• Total voters
variable

So you are using Schwab Intelligent Portfolios? Are you using different allocations for different accounts, or same allocation across all accounts?

I used the Intelligent Adviser account for several years. They offer the use of a tool which sets expected account behavior and how nervous you are, I'm sure you have seen or used one of these in the past. That sets your risk level within the account and thus the asset allocation limits. You can set risk manually of course. You can do one or two "knockouts" for ETF's you don't want to ever own. It does the rest.

It's a smooth ride and provides a great portfolio anchor. Keeps you from doing harm to yourself. And it sells/buys to take advantage of mispricing/arbitrage. Reasonably tax efficient but with a touch of cash drag. I did not mind when interest was 0.5, but at 5% it is a bigger issue. Only fees are in the ETF's themselves, and they are dirt cheap.

Because this is my taxable side, I decided to try their Direct Index product. It mimics an index, but does so with about 400 individual positions. No cash drag and better tax loss harvesting. Same behavior as the personalized direct etf product. It does have a monthly fee though... very first time I have ever paid up quarterly for a product. So far a glassy smooth outcome.

In answer to your question, I use different allocations across accounts. The ETF based personalized direct account could hold all your assets except RE. It is a complete asset allocation in a box.

The personalized direct is a mimic of SCHK, so I must integrate that into my overall allocation. Tax efficient, but no ability to adjust allocation to sectors not included.

I have historically tended to drift with my interests and ignore large cap issues. The direct index account takes care of my entire US large and mid cap allocation now. For portfolio and allocation analysis, I treat the entire account as one position in SCHK.

They have an international version of the same thing. My life is in dollars and I'm not much of a traveler, so I will likely pass for now.

In the meantime, I continue to reference the allocation guidelines from the personalized direct ETF account.

Schwab has announced the completion of the TD merger. Big layoff to clean house.

For those who are trade happy and like the action: They announced that they now have TD branded thinkorswim accounts with all the features from TD.

For the time being I am happy with my personal direct index account and roth, no reason to tempt the trading demons.

Background: I have equities in TDAmeritrade which was consumed by Schwab, Equities in eTrade (consumed by Morgan Stanley). Equities also in JPM and Interactive Brokers. Banking at Chase. Never hear from JPM, IB. Schwab (which got a pretty good chunk of equities in the merger) hasn't even contacted me since 9/1.

Morgan Stanley immediately contacted me about setting up the equities any way I want (I manage my own equities, for the most part). They're also offering tons of perks (attorney's to help set up the estate which needs updating anyway), checking with attached 5% savings for "living expense monies" etc.

I'm considering moving everything over to MS due to the "one stop shop" they appear to have. I know MS is very large, but I can't find many reviews about them. Anyone in this forum use them? Good, bad or :confused:

Thanks for any input!

I don't think I know of anyone who has consolidated to Morgan Stanley. If you're going to be the guinea pig, let us know how it goes. They're typically known for their expensive managed accounts rather than self-managed DYIers

I don't think I know of anyone who has consolidated to Morgan Stanley. If you're going to be the guinea pig, let us know how it goes. They're typically known for their expensive managed accounts rather than self-managed DYIers
We have been with eTrade for a long time, dating back to their acquisition of Brown & Comany more than 15 years ago.
The only change I have noticed since the Morgan Stanley (MS) acquistion is that they stopped offering comparatively lucrative account transfer incentives.
I have been especially impressed by their wide array of mutual fund offerings. They provide a comprehensive fund screener and do not charge transaction fees on several fund families which cost as much as $50 elsewhere... even including Vanguard and Fidelity funds. These mutual fund features took effect a few months prior to the absorption by Morgan Stanley, but well after the MS deal was announced.
I have also been impressed by their price improvement on stock trades. In my opinion, it has been superior to Merrill Edge and TD Ameritrade, the latter of which I expect to improve after our accounts migrate from TDA to Schwab.

Mostly Tiaa (AAA) and Capital One (great earnings report)

Very interesting poll results. A little surprising too. I guess I've been with Schwab so long, and most of the folks I know are with Schwab, I just figured they would be dominate. Again, I learned something new here.

I was surprised at the number of folks still connected to Vanguard.

I currently have about 7% more at Vanguard than at Fidelity, so I picked Vanguard.

All Vanguard but I’m seriously considering moving our IRAs if not everything to Fidelity. Vanguard service isn’t anywhere near what it once was, and they seem oblivious. I prefer doing everything online anyway so I only want personal service less than once a year, or I’d probably have moved already.

Just the fact Vanguard has "bankers hours" and doesn't answer the phone on weekends is enough to make me want to move the bulk of our assets to Fidelity.

Wife had a recent scare where her phone temporarily (for about 5-10 minutes) randomly glitched and said "no SIM card". So I freaked out and thought someone might be trying a SIM swap, even though we have the most complex and thorough security you can imagine on our phone accounts. (There have been stories about phone company insiders bypassing even the most "secure" SIM swap blocks..)

I immediately went to sign in to Vanguard to change her password (since their 2FA uses text vs Fido's Symantec Token App), and...couldn't. We had "restrict access to THIS computer only" turned on, and a Windows or Firefox update confused Vanguard's server to think it was a different computer - even though it wasn't.

Couldn't call Vanguard until Monday to get access restored. Yeah, that sucked.

Problem is, we're in multiple Vanguard funds (Wellesley, Wellington, Tax Managed Balanced) that we like. All Admiral. Admiral shares not available at FIDO, so we'd increase ER.

What a PITA. "Service" may not be important 99% of the time.,.but when it is, it's a major emergency when your brokerage has gone home for the weekend.

I still need to get this all taken care of, but there are truly no good options when VG wants $8 for a TF Mutual Fund buy (Flagship) and FIDO/Schwab want $75 for TF funds including all VG. (REALLY?) Not to mention the higher ER costs on funds we like..sigh.

I also sleep a lot better at night with FIDO 2FA security. Their "VIP access" app generates a random 6-digit # every 60 seconds that you use to authenticate. Someone who DOES manage a SIM swap will never have that #, as it generates based on the hardware of your phone. I'm pretty confident that NO-ONE can log into our Fidelity accounts with that turned on. I keep asking VG to do something similar vs rudimentary text-based 2FA that can be easily hacked...hahahahah. Riiiiight. I'll be long gone by the time they get around to modernizing to 20th century standards. You know..because doing something like that might actually cost VG a few pennies..

[-]Ran away[/-] switched from VG to Fido this year.

VG today is not the VG of the past.

Last edited:
Merrill, Fidelity, and Stifel. Stifel has a genuine person , who used to work at Merrill, who I can call anytime and get a feel for his impressions of market situations. I use his opinion and blend with mine after I do my due diligence. If I prematurely croak, DW has my instruction/permission to reach out to him for guidance.

Merrill, Fidelity, and Voya. We are still working. After retirement, we’ll likely move everything to Fidelity.

Personally, I don't really feel Schwab has any more "woes" than any other huge brokerage firm.)
I think I am with you on this. AFAIK concerns with the banking sector in general and Schwab in particular are so 1st qtr. Haven’t been thinking that way for MONTHS. I actually bought a bit of Schwab stock for a quick profit.

Back
Top Bottom