Online filing for social security...(My experience)

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Last week I filed for social security on line. Truthfully when it comes to big financial things I prefer face to face. Also when it comes to large governmental institutions I expect the worse. I got a call this week from a nice lady processing my application. She asked a few questions and the said .. "I'm approving your application... you'll be getting $xxxx a month starting the 4th week in August."

Easy breezy lemon pleazie...Bam success

Last edited:
I just sent in my online application as well, and agree it was surprisingly easy. I liked that I could start the application and save it, without having to start from the beginning. Haven't yet gotten a call, though, from a nice (or otherwise) lady, but I'm sure it'll come soon.

Last week I filed for social security on line. Truthfully when it comes to big financial things I prefer face to face.

Just curious - so why in this case didn't you follow your preferences and go into the SS office? Why did you choose to file online?

BTW - congratulations. It must feel good.

Just curious - so why in this case didn't you follow your preferences and go into the SS office? Why did you choose to file online?
BTW - congratulations. It must feel good.

1. Thanks, feeling very good about this.
2. I went to my assigned SS office to get a mixup on my name fixed and did not like the office or the crowds.
3 went in to apply and spoke to a an elderly processor who said SS was meant for people with little or no money, she didn't want to process my application.. rather than argue we left.

We are not poor but certainly not rich.

Last edited:
I just sent in my online application as well, and agree it was surprisingly easy. I liked that I could start the application and save it, without having to start from the beginning. Haven't yet gotten a call, though, from a nice (or otherwise) lady, but I'm sure it'll come soon.

I hope it is as easy for you...

I went to my assigned SS office to get a mixup on my name fixed and did not like the office or the crowds.
FWIW, I found that I could go to any office, so I picked one in a semi-rural area that never seemed crowded. They never questioned why I went there instead of my assigned office.

went in to apply and spoke to a an elderly processor who said SS was meant for people with little or no money, she didn't want to process my application.. rather than argue we left.
Absolutely incredible!

FWIW, I found that I could go to any office, so I picked one in a semi-rural area that never seemed crowded. They never questioned why I went there instead of my assigned office.

I called and was told I needed to my assigned office. I guess at this point I'm just glad to have filed and get it rolling.

3 went in to apply and spoke to a an elderly processor who said SS was meant for people with little or no money, she didn't want to process my application.. rather than argue we left.

We are not poor but certainly not rich.

Just curious - how does the processor know how much money the applicant has? Is there some question on the application about that?

DW filed for social security online without visiting the local office. It was quick, easy and payments started and have continued without problem. Her application was fairly straight forward (filing on her record at her full retirement age). A more difficult test will be when I file a "restricted application" next year.

That low income/little to no money thing is SSI, not social security. Odds are you/she misunderstood what each person was saying. Social Security is not means tested(on the front end). Whereas SSI, is the supplemental security income program, that is in fact for low income aged/disabled folks.

Just curious - how does the processor know how much money the applicant has? Is there some question on the application about that?

1. They have a record of your earnings
2. They ask how much will you have earned this year before you retire...

So they know earnings not how much you have.

That low income/little to no money thing is SSI, not social security. Odds are you/she misunderstood what each person was saying. Social Security is not means tested(on the front end). Whereas SSI, is the supplemental security income program, that is in fact for low income aged/disabled folks.

Not verbatim: "social security was designed to supplement your income ...." the speech was essentially you made too much this year.
This was last November and there was no discussion of SSI. So don't think so. No matter the spigot is hopefully on.

Last edited:
I started to file on-line after DH died and it asked questions about previous marriages. DH was married twice before and, although I knew names, I didn't know dates. Wife #1 hasn't communicated much (she did send me a sympathy card) but I suppose I could have reached her through my stepson. Wife #2 is deceased and it was short-lived anyway. Far easier to explain all that in person. She found Wife #1's record (her maiden name is an unique Armenian one) and the second marriage was so short it was irrelevant. Not sure why the even needed to know (maybe in case Wife #1 was collecting Spousal and now would get the higher Widow benefit?).

Sometimes when you can't fill in all those required fields on-line it's easier to talk to a human.

Back
Top Bottom