Our Group Is Doing Well

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I do not think this was posted here before http://tinyurl.com/fbvzt a Washington Post article on how much debt and few assets the average American has. The good side is that a lot of folks will get to keep working so my favorite kayaking spots will not get too full.

Wife retiring in a few months and youngest son 1 1/2 years from college. Things are starting to get really interesting around our house. The biggest surprise is how the dynamics have changed since the arrival of our grand daughter. Older boy & family are 300 miles away and it looks like wife wants to go and visit all the time. We didn't have a separate financial planning category for costs related to frequent visits to grandchildren.

The good side is that a lot of folks will get to keep working so my favorite kayaking spots will not get too full.

That, and our S.S. will continue to get funded, and will have less folks on the withdrawal side. - :)

yakers said:
I do not think this was posted here before http://tinyurl.com/fbvzt a Washington Post article on how much debt and few assets the average American has. The good side is that a lot of folks will get to keep working so my favorite kayaking spots will not get too full.

Cut-Throat said:
That, and our S.S. will continue to get funded, and will have less folks on the withdrawal side. - :)

You've gotta love this board. We manage to find a silver lining in the most depressing situations. :D

REWahoo! said:
You've gotta love this board. We manage to find a silver lining in the most depressing situations. :D

Let's take this one step further.
The aging population continues working and between stress, depression (from not retiring), and eating unhealthy fast junk food, they die shortly after beginning to collect SS. :dead:

Am I bad? >:D

I think I better do some serious chanting to erase the above thoughts.

Now if we could just get euthanasia in where I get to make the exit decision... hey wait-a-minit...  The youngsters will be deciding on me.   :D

Eagle43 said:
Now if we could just get euthanasia in where I get to make the exit decision... hey wait-a-minit...  The youngsters will be deciding on me. 
That's why medical experts advise being nice to your kids!

so much for the worry published by some (e.g. Mauldin) that so many boomers will be retiring with so much retirement money that prices will be driven way up. There won't be anyone to work, so wages will go up, further exacerbating the problem. If the median family is as depicted, it's hard to worry too much about that scenario. Who's right? :-\

Here's yet another data point... http://www.cbo.gov/showdoc.cfm?index=5195&sequence=0

My gist of this one is that they estimate that...

~50% of the Boomer households are expected to maintain their working-age standard of living in retirement
~25% appear set to experience moderate declines in their living standard during retirement, which could be offset by modestly increasing saving and by working for a few more years
~25% are screwed. Without vaseline.

Eagle43 said:
Now if we could just get euthanasia in where I get to make the exit decision... hey wait-a-minit...  The youngsters will be deciding on me.   :D

Two words: Soylent Green >:D

Back
Top Bottom