Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Out of the blue expenses suck
Old 05-03-2006, 11:17 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

earlier in life seemed whenever i put money together something happened to take it away. i'd get savings up and something would break. one time it was my back that broke the bank. i lost all the money i had saved for years to buy a house. workman's comp was a joke, i lost everything and had to start again. back to school, new career. start saving again. about 10 years later until i finally had enough for that house.

at least, as an earlier poster noted, i had the savings and so didn't have to go into debt.

it is an amazing feeling now, when something breaks, to shrug it off, pay the piper and still enjoy the music.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2006, 12:08 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Dex, I do the same type of budgeting. I put a percentage aside from each paycheck (yes, I am still working - DH is retired) for emergency expenditures. Since DH has retired in October, there have been a few house repairs and more to come. It never ends - part of life and the home ownership money pit.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Hey Spanky - I want to live at YOUR house - $14,000 for a used car (for your newly minted teenage driver?!). My Honda Accord has over 200,000 miles on it - I bought it from my banker's wife for $4500 almost 5 years ago with a bit over 100,000 miles on it. Now THAT is a used car (and the insurance is a lot cheaper,too!!).
SolidA,

I am comtemplating on a new used car for me and give my 2000 Corolla to my daughter.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:38 PM   #24

I recently decided to buy a USB flashdrive for my laptop. I had to shell out an unexpected $45 but will get a $20 rebate back. Boy, do I hate these expensive surprises.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:10 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Out of the Blue stuff:

1. Replace decaying driveway.........$13k
Original builder should have his license pulled for the crappy job that I am now paying to have done again. 2k sq. ft. to replace plus regrading away from the house (duh!) and adding some rain gutter downspout drain pipes (double duh) under the driveway to eliminate the ice skating rink that forms in front of entrance to the house (lawyer's dream).

2. Replace split water pipes in summer cabin. ~$2000
Long story but basically the garage door opened and allowed the water system to freeze over the coldest part of the winter when we could not get in there. I lost the whole system plus a 500 gallon storage tank that split. Needless to say....I have quite a mess to deal with once the snow melts enough to get in there without snowshoes.

3. College expenses are due again soon. $5000

4. DW is getting the decoration bug (again) for the living room. $?

5. Need to re-landscape part of the front yard...$1-2k

6. Need to repair a retaining wall that is falling apart. $2-3k
I can totally relate to how everything can got to hell with unplanned expenses. I had the following happen in a four month period last year.

Baby born 10 weeks early. Air ambluance transfers $2500. Other related expenses $8000. (And we were staying with friends and being cheap for 67 days in care.) Thank god that I was not living in the US. I LOVE free healthcare in Canada!!!

House had a leaking roof. Found major structure damage from water. $9000 to fix.

Car buyout on lease. $8000 (Ok, I got the lease when I just got out of University. Not smart, but hey, its a great car.)

So after $27, 500 in expenses I could pay for most of it up front. Put $10,000 on a lower interest line of credit and then had to borrow $5000 from my parents for 8 months to hold me over.

The REALLY good news was LBYM helped us pay off the $15,000 borrowed in under 1 year. So life does happen, just be happy we are all so good at managing our money that we can cover these things and recover from them very quickly.

CF
Old 05-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #26

This thread does demonstrate pretty clearly how difficult it can be to control spending.

The classic budgeting approach of "never spend more than your income minus monthly savings, and never touch your savings" is clearly doomed to failure.

Last night I was discussing the serenity prayer with my Men's group:

grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

This of course applies to spending... you have to accept some expenses as unavoidable, even while having the courage to slash unneccessary discretionary spending.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:23 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Learning how to build and fix stuff yourself helps avoid or mitigate some of the unexpected costs.

Building in 30% spending/budgeting 'buffers' to a lot of stuff and forecasting major expenditures for the next ten years helps too.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:29 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

So the float valve on one toilet is leaking. Replaced the washer. Still leaking... Not only that, the valve to the toilet won't completely shut off. Turn off the water to the house to inspect situation without being spritzed. Decide to replace float valve and shutoff valve. Turn main valve back on, now it's leaking...* :P

Time for a house fire...*

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:54 PM   #29

I don't do plumbing!
Old 05-04-2006, 01:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Learning how to build and fix stuff yourself helps avoid or mitigate some of the unexpected costs.

Building in 30% spending/budgeting 'buffers' to a lot of stuff and forecasting major expenditures for the next ten years helps too.
I agree.

Doing some repairs can some some money on the little stuff but putting on a new roof or pouring and finishing out 2000 sq. ft. of concrete I will leave to the experts and just be sure to fund a reserve for these kinds of expenses (which I have). Nothing on my list will need to come from income since I have a sizable reserve for these things (not 30% of spending but big enough to cover most everything over a period of time. If it all hits at once I will have to go to plan B but plan A is working fine right now. (knock on wood).
Old 05-04-2006, 01:23 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I was just thinking about some of the "infrastructure failure weeks" we've had around here. If we hadn't spent so much time & trouble tracking down that stupid roof flashing leak then we would've been in a world of hurt during our 40-day rainy spell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
So the float valve on one toilet is leaking. Replace the washer. Still leaking... Not only that, the valve to the toilet won't completely shut off. Turn of the water to the house to inspect situation without being spritzed. Decide to replace float valve and shutoff valve. Turn main valve back on, now it's leaking...* :P
Forgive me in advance if I'm preaching to a plumbing expert.

The good news is that you may be able to get your water company to help you with that one if they're amenable to sweet-talking. If the leak's on their side of the valve then it's their problem. If it's leaking from the stem then it might be your problem but they might be willing to fix it.

Another option would be to buy a "basin wrench" at a hardware store. It can be a $20 tool but it's worth it for tightening the stem nut to stop those leaks. You may have to remove the valve handle (or hacksaw half of it off) to get the wrench to the stem nut.

Submarine engine rooms have hundreds, perhaps thousands, of small "just in case" valves that are used once per year-- if that. Mechanics actually have a list requiring them to operate them periodically to check for leaks or other problems. Sometimes it's the only way a potentially serious casualty-in-waiting is discovered, other times it breaks more things than it prevents.

Don't even get me started on military technicians testing their computer systems. Or water-cooled computers.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I found out yesterday that one of my cats has a heart murmur, and it needs to go to a cat cardiologist! Estimated cost: $350. :

And I REALLY need new carpeting/flooring downstairs. Not sure what I'll get yet, but I'm figuring several thousand dollars. At least this one I have been saving for...

Old 05-04-2006, 03:09 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

One out of the blue expense for us (the night before hubby retired) was finding out that oldest son and his gal decided to get married in 6 days prior to son's deployment to Iraq. Trust me, totally out of the blue but it didn't suck and it worked out great. (and somewhere around $2000)
Some of the sucky expenses have been hubby backing into a tree ($600) or putting an ATV thru the sliding rear window of his truck (another $600). Both times he was on a 'boys only ATV weekend' which, unfortunately, takes place again in a few hrs.
And then there's the time I left to go grocery shopping while hubby was working on the plumbing in the boys' bathroom. I came home to find not one but two plumbers trucks in the driveway. At least that was only $450.
The man is high maintenance.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:43 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Plumbing update:

Using channel-lock pliers a specially-designed plumbing instrument, I tightened the packing nut on the house supply valve, stopping that leak. A new flat washer fixed the toilet supply valve, and a new float valve to stop the always-on tank fill, and viola... 8)

Should've done all this before starting the fire... :P

Old 05-04-2006, 04:02 PM   #35

Quote:
Plumbing update:

Using channel-lock pliers a specially-designed plumbing instrument, I tightened the packing nut on the house supply valve, stopping that leak. A new flat washer fixed the toilet supply valve, and a new float valve to stop the always-on tank fill, and viola...* 8)

Should've done all this before starting the fire...* :P
That's Ok.
As soon as the other plumbing valves in the house figure out you "fixed" one, they will all start leaking in sequence. It'll put that fire right out.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:06 PM   #36

BOTH thermostats in my electric hot water tank coaked a few days ago. SO, after having them replaced I decdied to o fo one of those "Home systems maintenence" plans in case there's something else waiting to "surprise" me

Now that I have that, I'm nearly positive NOTHING will be a problem.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:23 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Plumbing update:

Using channel-lock pliers a specially-designed plumbing instrument, I tightened the packing nut on the house supply valve, stopping that leak. A new flat washer fixed the toilet supply valve, and a new float valve to stop the always-on tank fill, and viola...* 8)

Should've done all this before starting the fire...* :P
You mean before that strange fire somehow started in the middle of the living room....
Old 05-04-2006, 04:33 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

The jet-engine powered bong exploded... :

So true, SteveR...

Old 05-04-2006, 05:20 PM   #39

Dear Mr. Insurance Adjuster,

I like fire-roasted hot dogs and smores. It was raining outside. I didn't know the varnish coated wooden coffee table and carpet were combustible...
Old 05-04-2006, 05:55 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz
I came home to find not one but two plumbers trucks in the driveway. At least that was only $450.
The man is high maintenance.
Geez, I'd have a hard enough time tricking one plumbing company into coming to our house, let alone TWO. I can only imagine what he had to say to them.

You have a keeper there...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote