Join Early Retirement Today

Too good to be true?
Old 01-06-2005, 07:58 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Too good to be true?

In March I'll need to decide whether to put a year of our two-year cash stash in a CD or an I bond.

I've already decided that a one-year CD is a loser while a five-year CD is probably worth the (low) risk of an early-withdrawal penalty.

But with PFCU pushing five-year rates like this, it makes me wonder if their crystal ball is cracked or if they're really expecting rates to rise that quickly.

I bond or a five-year CD-- is this strictly a yield decision?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Too good to be true?
Old 01-06-2005, 09:03 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Re: Too good to be true?

Quote:
In March I'll need to decide whether to put a year of our two-year cash stash in a CD or an I bond. *

I've already decided that a one-year CD is a loser while a five-year CD is probably worth the (low) risk of an early-withdrawal penalty.

But with PFCU pushing five-year rates like this, it makes me wonder if their crystal ball is cracked or if they're really expecting rates to rise that quickly. *

I bond or a five-year CD-- is this strictly a yield decision?
I think so, as long as you can yank the money fairly painlessly in both cases. FWIW, I think that the 4 year CD (rate is 5%) is probably an even better deal than the 5 year.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: PFCU CD Alert
Old 01-06-2005, 09:28 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I just called Penfed and was inquiring about their 5 Year CD's. I had asked the question if it was better to buy 10- $5,000 CDs instead of 1 - $50,000 CD.
When I first opened an account with PenFed, they actually suggested this idea to me without my asking.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:33 AM   #24

Quote:
I just called Penfed and was inquiring about their 5 Year CD's. I had asked the question if it was better to buy 10- $5,000 CDs instead of 1 - $50,000 CD.

If you needed $5,000 cash, you would only have to pay the Penalty on 1 $5,000 CD instead of the entire $50,000 CD.

There is a minimum invest of $1,000. Their seems to be no advantage to Purchasing 1 CD over multiple ones. I'm thinking $5,000 would be the highest I would want to go.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Hi CT,

When I put money in their CD's, last year at 5.25% as well, I did just that. I divided my large deposit into almost 30 CD's. it created a lot of paper work and postage (for them) which is too bad. Other financial institutions allow you to withdraw parts of a large CD without closing out the total CD.

MJ
Old 01-06-2005, 11:12 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

>>Other financial institutions allow you to withdraw parts of a large CD without closing out the total CD.

Mine(Bellco) does allow this. I haven't checked with PenFed, but are you saying that they do not allow partial withdrawals?
Old 01-06-2005, 02:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Mine(Bellco) does allow this. I haven't checked with PenFed, but are you saying that they do not allow partial withdrawals?
I posed this very question over the phone and that is what they told me. So I proceeded to purchase smaller denomination Certificates. Can't hurt, I guess.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:43 PM   #27

Quote:
I haven't checked with PenFed, but are you saying that they do not allow partial withdrawals?
PentFed as of last March 2004 did not.

MJ
Old 01-06-2005, 07:28 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Yup, it's right their on their application/disclosure. No partial withdrawals except for IRA certificates.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:29 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

I went ahead and filled out the online application form today. I noticed though that to be a member you have to open and own a Regular Share account which requires a daily balance of $500. Otherwise you get hit with a $7.50 monthly fee.

Does this mean that I have to leave the $500 in the Share account for the term of the CD, i.e 4 years?

Dante
Old 01-09-2005, 12:17 AM   #30

Dante,

you must have misread the fine print. The regular share account is required to have a minimum deposit of $5.00 (perhaps it was hard to see the decimal in the fine print). There is no fee for maintaining this low balance (i checked). You are refunded the $5 if you close out all your accounts, plus interest.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:24 AM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

Re: PFCU CD AlertNaturegal,

Naturegal,

Thanks for the reply.

The $5.00 initial deposit allows you to open a Share account and thereby be eligible for membership into the CU. But then do you close out the Share account immediately therefater? And get the $5 back?

If the account is not closed, it will require a minimum balance or the maintenance fee.

Maybe it is just as simple - open the account with the$5 and then don't have to do anything with it. Iam not sure though.

Dante

Old 01-09-2005, 08:46 AM   #32

Re: PFCU CD AlertNaturegal,

Quote:
Maybe it is just as simple - open the account with the$5 and then don't have to do anything with it. Iam not sure though.
I opened an account last March with them to get the 5.25% CD and yes it was that simple.

MJ
Old 01-09-2005, 09:56 AM   #33

Dante,

The account rep I talked with said the $5 just stays there and it is fully refunded (with interest) if you close out all your accounts with them. Not sure what the purpose of the $5 is- I guess it gives you an account for them to put your CD in when it matures, if you don't want to renew it right away.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:57 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My CU (DCU) has the same requirement. For whatever reason (some inhouse rule or some government requirement) you are required to have a share/savings account to be a member, and the minimum balance on it is $5.

Its a cool lesson in compound interest though. I've had that five bucks in there since 1980, and twice the balance has gone over $10 and I've gotten to skim five bucks out

Maybe I should have left it and seen how my five bucks had grown at normal savings rates for 30 or 40 years.

Now my CU just has to get off their butts and raise their CD rates. They were pretty good until the last few months. Now they're lagging.

I'm still a little leery of committing to anything longer term than a year or two in this rising rate environment.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:55 PM   #35

Quote:
I'm still a little leery of committing to anything longer term than a year or two in this rising rate environment.
I feel the same way, so I have not committed to any CD more than 1 year in duration.
For what it's worth, all banks forecast interest rates and base their rates on what they think the future will hold. *I think it was during the Clinton years that short-term rates were higher than long-term rates at some banks.

If the bank is willing to lock in their interest expense at 5.25% for 5 year CDs, they are probably forecasting interest rates to go to 7% or higher in the next 5 years for similar instruments. *They will have a ton of cash at a 5.25% expense while other banks may have to dish out a higher expense.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:38 PM   #36

Quote:
I would leery also, if it were not for the 6 month penalty on early withdrawal. If you own the CD for a year and then bail, you still get 2.675% interest. - Not too shabby.

So, I only look at as commiting for 1 year.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #37

Quote:

I would leery also, if it were not for the 6 month penalty on early withdrawal. If you own the CD for a year and then bail, you still get 2.675% interest. - Not too shabby.

I would agree except for other options that offer more than 2.675% and still remain liquid. ibankdesign.com provides a list of checking/saving/MM accounts with decent APYs.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:15 PM   #38

Quote:

I would agree except for other options that offer more than 2.675% and still remain liquid. *ibankdesign.com provides a list of checking/saving/MM accounts with decent APYs.
Maybe decent APYs, but not 5.25%! - If you hold the PenFed CD 2 years - You'll get the full 5.25% for the first year and 2.675% for the second. That is close to 4% APY.

If you have any liquid MM accounts that are paying close to 4% per year, please let us all know. We'll all be signing up
Old 01-09-2005, 03:46 PM   #39

Quote:
O.K. FWIW. My point was that if you're looking at committing to only 1 year with a 6 months penalty then you'll earn less than a 3% MMA/savings/3 months CD account currently available at various banking institutions.

OTOH, if you're looking to commit for 2 years with the 6 months penalty, you'll break even plus or minus $100 if you can earn 3.5% for the 1st year and 4.5% for the 2nd year gambling on the fact that you can not find these rates at some institutions that will offer them at some point during the next two years. I'm betting that I can find these rates and better but to each his own.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:51 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Yep, that's my thinking. Furthermore, how long has everyone been saying rate hikes are right around the corner? Two years? Three years? Money has been lost sitting on the sidelines. This is a way to avoid hits if rates do take off as expected, but it also provides a fairly decent return if they don't.